Author Topic: Do You Shoot Low and Left? Let’s Examine Your Grip  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Do You Shoot Low and Left? Let’s Examine Your Grip
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:07:21 am »
Guns.com 9/22/11 | by Jeffrey Denning    http://www.guns.com/2011/09/22/do-you-shoot-low-and-left-lets-examine-your-grip/

If you’re a right-handed shooter and your rounds are grouping on the target low and left, you’re not alone. Hundreds, if not thousands, of right-handed pistol shooters head to the shooting range and afterwards wonder why they majority of their rounds are off center mark of bullseye. Let’s not leave out the southpaws. Novice left-handed shooters are in the same category, except lefties would shoot a group low and right. Why? I’ll explain.

The biggest reason: inexperience. But the good news is inexperience can be overcome and the tips offered up in this article will help tremendously.

Grabbing a pistol, be it for the first time or even the hundredth time, and just shooting it doesn’t make anyone perfect. If you fit into this category and you
feel you’re being labeled an inexperienced or novice shooter, even though you may have been shooting handguns “all your life,” don’t fret or frown.  It’s not like the shooting community is going to make you sew a giant, scarlet “N” for Novice on your range clothes, signifying you’re not a perfect shooter. People won’t mock and point, “Hey, there goes the guy who shoots low and left. Novice. What a loser!” Of course not, and if someone says something rude about it, well they’re just a jerk. Everyone drops a few rounds off center now and again, even the pros.

Okay, you’re buddies might chide you, maybe even make you a tongue n’ cheek tee shirt highlighting your abilities to that effect, maybe talk loudly about your shortcomings within earshot of that hot, gun loving girl you’re trying to snag a date with. Everyone has one of those friends.  But all things considered he’s a good friend because, when teasing comes out of love and respect, it makes for a good incentive to improve.

So bad range days are behind you now. You’re dedicated to improving. Here’s the secret:

New shooters have a tendency to convulsively squeeze the entire palm of their shooting hand. When shooting, whether using one hand or two, remember that your three-finger shooting grip must not move. Your trigger finger should operate independently.

If you practice by gripping three fingers tightly in a partial fist, or a three finger grip–the same three fingers on your shooting hand that grip the gun–and then slowly move your trigger finger straight and smoothly rearward, that will help. Try it. You might notice that your thumb will move too. Ideally, nothing but your trigger finger should move.
You can also try this practice technique clutching a racquetball in your three finger grip.

As any and every shooter must remember, sight alignment is critical, but don’t freeze your sights then slam or slap or jerk on the trigger–that’ll throw your round off every time.

Anticipating the shot or pushing the gun can be a problem too. However, convulsively squeezing the entire palm of the shooting hand is sort of akin to someone who’s never milked a cow before trying to milk one because they think they think they have some idea of how the process works—grip, tug and get milk—when in reality it’s much subtler process than that. Too often I see people milking their pistol grip—squeezing it with all other might to “control” the gun. That’s not normal. You were born to be a shooter, not a dairy farmer (besides, no one in America even milks cows by hand anymore).

When it comes to other factors affecting your accuracy, there’s a couple of other things to remember. It’s important not to blame the sights, which happens all too often. Secondly, don’t use Kentucky windage to change where you’re hitting—that is to look at your target, see you’re shooting low and left then aim high and right for a hit. Don’t do that! Fix your bad habits first.

Of course, if you’re on a date and trying to impress that girl you finally won a date with—remember, the one you’re buddy tried to submarine you’re chances with—then by all means, blame the sights. Just a warning here though, don’t let her shoot that same gun. Even though she’s never even shot a handgun before, chances are she’ll out shoot you, then you’ll have nothing to blame but yourself. If that happens, you’ll have to call your buddy and have him order that tee shirt with the big “N” on it.

Finally, in order to become a confident tactical shooter, getting all the fundamentals of solid target shooting is imperative. Considering your sights are lined up all the way through the break of the shot, and noting your trigger squeeze is smooth, constant and straight to the rear, reexamine your grip. Remember to allow your trigger finger to operate alone. Your grip should be tight, but the trigger finger is loose and caresses that trigger. Convulsing the whole palm can really throw off your shot.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Do You Shoot Low and Left? Let’s Examine Your Grip
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 05:15:31 am »
I ran across a local doctor at the range, shooting a Baby Eagle, and consistently missing the paper. He asked me to check out the pistol, which I did, and printed a decent group. I doubted that IMI would turn out a bad pistol, so I had him stuff another mag in and watched him as he shot. He was anticipating recoil, pushing forward when he shot, which brought the muzzle around to low and left. I'm no shooting coach, ordinarily, but I pointed out what he was doing and counseled him to grip securely with three fingers and to slowly squeeze the trigger and let the shot break as a surprise. First shot in the black, and better from there.

Lots of shooters will do the same thing, even experienced shooters with a new or more powerful pistol. Being aware of it helps correct the problem.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:58 am »
Lots of shooters will do the same thing, even experienced shooters with a new or more powerful pistol. Being aware of it helps correct the problem.

I was with my Son when he purchased a S&W Model 69 44Mag. We took it right to the range and shot it. I have never been affected by recoil. After shooting for a while, I noticed I was now, pulling some of my shots. It took some concentration, on my part to realize what I was doing, and overcome it. After the session was over, I realized that the stock grips on that gun were so tacky to my skin, that it had rubbed an area of my hand raw. I realized that it must of been pain that caused me to anticipate the shots. He has since replaced those grips.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:15 pm »
I was with my Son when he purchased a S&W Model 69 44Mag. We took it right to the range and shot it. I have never been affected by recoil. After shooting for a while, I noticed I was now, pulling some of my shots. It took some concentration, on my part to realize what I was doing, and overcome it. After the session was over, I realized that the stock grips on that gun were so tacky to my skin, that it had rubbed an area of my hand raw. I realized that it must of been pain that caused me to anticipate the shots. He has since replaced those grips.
Some people like 'sticky' grips. I'm not a fan. If the pistol can overcome my grip, I'll reset my hand for the next shot. I don't have that problem with semi-autos, just the Super Blackhawk, and since that is a single action, I will reset my grip when I cock it, anyway.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:09:43 pm »
Some people like 'sticky' grips. I'm not a fan. If the pistol can overcome my grip, I'll reset my hand for the next shot. I don't have that problem with semi-autos, just the Super Blackhawk, and since that is a single action, I will reset my grip when I cock it, anyway.

I definitely didn't care for that grip. The grip on my Blackhawk rocks in my hand on firing and rocks back for the next shot. I don't find myself having to do anything for the next shot except cock, aim(or not), and fire.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »
I definitely didn't care for that grip. The grip on my Blackhawk rocks in my hand on firing and rocks back for the next shot. I don't find myself having to do anything for the next shot except cock, aim(or not), and fire.
Are you using the stock wood grips, Pachmayr Grips, or something different?

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:36:05 pm »
Are you using the stock wood grips, Pachmayr Grips, or something different?
The same stock wooden grips that came on the gun some 40 yrs ago. It works for me so I never saw the need to change them.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:46:07 pm »
The same stock wooden grips that came on the gun some 40 yrs ago. It works for me so I never saw the need to change them.
The same on mine. It isn't as if I completely reset my grip with those, even with hot loads, but when I cock the revolver, I break my grip to bring my thumb up anyway to cock it, and rotate the pistol back into place when I do, resetting the grip for the next shot. I tried one with Pachmayr grips, but they didn't feel right to me. Some folks like them.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 12:00:50 am »
I ran across a local doctor at the range, shooting a Baby Eagle, and consistently missing the paper. He asked me to check out the pistol, which I did, and printed a decent group. I doubted that IMI would turn out a bad pistol, so I had him stuff another mag in and watched him as he shot. He was anticipating recoil, pushing forward when he shot, which brought the muzzle around to low and left. I'm no shooting coach, ordinarily, but I pointed out what he was doing and counseled him to grip securely with three fingers and to slowly squeeze the trigger and let the shot break as a surprise. First shot in the black, and better from there.

One of the best shots I've ever seen with a rifle told me that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol one day at the range.  I told him I might be able to help with that and asked him over for some range time at my small home range.  When he stepped up to the line and began shooting at the target I immediately saw the problem and advised him of what he was doing.  He was pulling the front end of the pistol down as he pulled the trigger and had NO idea he was doing so.  The fact that he didn't know he was doing it told me that he was also closing his eyes in anticipation of the gun going off.  I picked up an empty shell casing and had him assume a firing position with the piece cocked.  I walked up and set the empty shell casing on top of the slide and told him to pull the trigger without allowing the casing to fall of the pistol.  We repeated the drill many more times that day before he finally was able to overcome something that he had practiced so much it was ingrained. That was a couple of years ago and he is now MUCH more proficient with that thing.

Said all that to say this.  Sometimes it requires another set of eyes to see a flaw in your technique and until they do no amount of practice is going fix a problem.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 12:18:27 am »
The same on mine. It isn't as if I completely reset my grip with those, even with hot loads, but when I cock the revolver, I break my grip to bring my thumb up anyway to cock it, and rotate the pistol back into place when I do, resetting the grip for the next shot. I tried one with Pachmayr grips, but they didn't feel right to me. Some folks like them.
Now you're shooting a Super Blackhawk, and me, the Blackhawk. I've never laid the 2 side by side. Never even gripped one. And your hand most likely ain't the same size as mine. When I cock mine, my thumb goes up, cocks it, and comes down back to where it was and I'm ready. I've changed grips on Double-Actions and semi-autos, but I've never seen the need to change grips on my single actions. The stock grips on my S&W Mod 36s were so tiny. On my first one,a 3in. model, I replaced the grips with a set of very large, hand filling, deep finger grooved, wood target grips. No way could you conceal that gun then. I loved what it did for that gun though. I know I put around 10,000  rounds thru that gun before I gave it away. All 3.2 gr Bullseye behind self cast semi wadcutters or 148 gr Speer wadcutters.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:40:31 am »
Now you're shooting a Super Blackhawk, and me, the Blackhawk. I've never laid the 2 side by side. Never even gripped one. And your hand most likely ain't the same size as mine. When I cock mine, my thumb goes up, cocks it, and comes down back to where it was and I'm ready. I've changed grips on Double-Actions and semi-autos, but I've never seen the need to change grips on my single actions. The stock grips on my S&W Mod 36s were so tiny. On my first one,a 3in. model, I replaced the grips with a set of very large, hand filling, deep finger grooved, wood target grips. No way could you conceal that gun then. I loved what it did for that gun though. I know I put around 10,000  rounds thru that gun before I gave it away. All 3.2 gr Bullseye behind self cast semi wadcutters or 148 gr Speer wadcutters.
The Super Blackhawk is an open carry gun ("Cowboy rig"), with a 7 1/2" barrel. I was shooting Hornaday 240 gr JHPs, don't recall the powder or load (shame on me!), but it was too hot for my Marlin (tended to jack the action part way open). I toned it down later when I switched powder to IMR 4227 and came up with a softer, more shootable load the rifle liked, too.

Come to think of it, all my pistols have stock grips, because one of the criteria I used buying them was being able to pick them up, ignore the sights and point it at a target. If, checking the sights, I was on, I bought. If not, I passed.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:20:59 am »
My Blackhawk is the 45 Colt 4-5/8in bbl. I ran way too much Win 296 behind 250 gr Hornady XTP hollowpoints. I was running more than I could burn in that short bbl. and occasionally cases had deformed markings on the case heads. I have backed down, but I still run hot. 296 likes to be loaded heavy. My first handgun was an Italian 38 double action in a "Cowboy" single action style. Its sights were several feet off at 25 yds. So I learned instinct shooting right off the bat. I ran hot loads in it too. Later I modded the front sight. My only issues with sights were usually fixed by dialing in a load that the gun liked.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 01:34:22 am »
My Blackhawk is the 45 Colt 4-5/8in bbl. I ran way too much Win 296 behind 250 gr Hornady XTP hollowpoints. I was running more than I could burn in that short bbl. and occasionally cases had deformed markings on the case heads. I have backed down, but I still run hot. 296 likes to be loaded heavy. My first handgun was an Italian 38 double action in a "Cowboy" single action style. Its sights were several feet off at 25 yds. So I learned instinct shooting right off the bat. I ran hot loads in it too. Later I modded the front sight. My only issues with sights were usually fixed by dialing in a load that the gun liked.
I haven't had much trouble with pistol sights as a rule, but the best sights out of the box were on that Marlin. I just figured if a gun fit me, and instinctively pointed, that was half the battle.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 01:50:08 am »
I haven't had much trouble with pistol sights as a rule, but the best sights out of the box were on that Marlin. I just figured if a gun fit me, and instinctively pointed, that was half the battle.

I love Marlin's too. But I mounted a set of Williams Foolproof Peep sights on every one of them. Come to think now, I only have one un-scoped rifle currently that doesn't have peep sights, a Gahendra Martini 450/577. I even mounted a micrometer tang peep sight on my 45 cal flintlock and plan to add one on the Rem #5 Rolling Block that's still a work in progress.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 01:57:00 am »
I love Marlin's too. But I mounted a set of Williams Foolproof Peep sights on every one of them. Come to think now, I only have one un-scoped rifle currently that doesn't have peep sights, a Gahendra Martini 450/577. I even mounted a micrometer tang peep sight on my 45 cal flintlock and plan to add one on the Rem #5 Rolling Block that's still a work in progress.
For some reason, I have never been able to shoot well with a peep sight, and prefer blade and notch type sights. Maybe if I worked at it, I'd be better.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 02:14:04 am »
For some reason, I have never been able to shoot well with a peep sight, and prefer blade and notch type sights. Maybe if I worked at it, I'd be better.

With peeps, the only issue I've seen is if one's out hunting and has a target aperture, with its tiny hole mounted. Then not enough light goes thru. But then you can just unscrew the aperture completely out and then the threaded hole becomes a large diameter hunting aperture. With peep sights, you don't have to align the front and rear sights. Your eye does it all on its own.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 02:20:06 am »
With peeps, the only issue I've seen is if one's out hunting and has a target aperture, with its tiny hole mounted. Then not enough light goes thru. But then you can just unscrew the aperture completely out and then the threaded hole becomes a large diameter hunting aperture. With peep sights, you don't have to align the front and rear sights. Your eye does it all on its own.
Maybe that's my problem. Every one I have ever seen had a target aperture, from what you describe. I had a hell of a time with target acquisition. I shot my first couple of thousand rounds mostly with a shotgun, so was used to working from the ball out front back, and most of that was ducks from a blind, so I got fairly good at leading a moving target. As much trouble as I had with those tiny apertures I just couldn't see shooting anything on the move with that sight. With a rifle with blade and notch, my target acquisition was similar to the shotgun target, put the blade on it align the notch, and shoot. It sounds completely bassackwards, but has worked for me.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 02:30:47 am »
Maybe that's my problem. Every one I have ever seen had a target aperture, from what you describe. I had a hell of a time with target acquisition. I shot my first couple of thousand rounds mostly with a shotgun, so was used to working from the ball out front back, and most of that was ducks from a blind, so I got fairly good at leading a moving target. As much trouble as I had with those tiny apertures I just couldn't see shooting anything on the move with that sight. With a rifle with blade and notch, my target acquisition was similar to the shotgun target, put the blade on it align the notch, and shoot. It sounds completely bassackwards, but has worked for me.

My favorite dove and quail shotgun has a fiber optic front sight and I installed a peep sight on the tang with no aperture installed.  Works like a ghost ring and I love it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 05:48:33 am »

Me neither. Much prefer open sights. Though I have to paint the front sight anymore....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 06:24:29 am »
Me neither. Much prefer open sights. Though I have to paint the front sight anymore....
I don't have to, but it helps.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »
http://www.chuckhawks.com/williams_5D_sight.htm

The receiver sight offers a simpler and more accurate sight picture than standard open sights. The eye looks through the aperture, also sometimes called a ghost ring because it is blurry, making no attempt to focus on the rear sight. Focus is required only for the front sight and target. The eye will automatically peer through the center of the aperture without conscious thought.

The militaries of practically all major powers adopted the aperture sight before the beginning of World War II, testament to its simplicity, durability, and performance. And the rear aperture sight remains the standard aiming system for military rifles around the world.

Today, the aperture sight is not as common on hunting rifles as it once was. Telescopic sights, which put the target and aiming mark in a single sighting plane, have become the preferred sighting system for most hunting rifles.

The aperture sight still has its place in the scheme of things. It is very fast to align and does not block the shooter's view of the lower half of the target, as does an open rear sight. The sight itself may be removed from its base and kept in reserve, leaving room for a low mounted scope in a quick detachable mount. This makes receiver sights a popular option with a good many African hunters, especially those who occasionally use their plains rifles to hunt dangerous game at close range.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 04:43:38 pm »
http://www.chuckhawks.com/williams_5D_sight.htm

The receiver sight offers a simpler and more accurate sight picture than standard open sights. The eye looks through the aperture, also sometimes called a ghost ring because it is blurry, making no attempt to focus on the rear sight. Focus is required only for the front sight and target. The eye will automatically peer through the center of the aperture without conscious thought.

The militaries of practically all major powers adopted the aperture sight before the beginning of World War II, testament to its simplicity, durability, and performance. And the rear aperture sight remains the standard aiming system for military rifles around the world.

Today, the aperture sight is not as common on hunting rifles as it once was. Telescopic sights, which put the target and aiming mark in a single sighting plane, have become the preferred sighting system for most hunting rifles.

The aperture sight still has its place in the scheme of things. It is very fast to align and does not block the shooter's view of the lower half of the target, as does an open rear sight. The sight itself may be removed from its base and kept in reserve, leaving room for a low mounted scope in a quick detachable mount. This makes receiver sights a popular option with a good many African hunters, especially those who occasionally use their plains rifles to hunt dangerous game at close range.
Thanks for the info. I will check that out. If I can get better and on target faster it is a plus.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »
I've finally got the "low left" problem ironed out for the most part with my .45...but it's proving quite the challenge to hit the X with any regularity with my .38  :shrug:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!