Author Topic: LIVE: President Trump's Islam Speech in Saudi Arabia - 5/21/17  (Read 7011 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Re: LIVE: President Trump's Islam Speech in Saudi Arabia - 5/21/17
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »
No. I definitely think he should have. I never would fault a leader for their employment.  But Obama was mocked from Day One, even before the classroom.

Your comparing apples to oranges, and then using an orange to defend Obama. That's not pointing out hypocrisy, its pretending the apple is actually an orange when in fact, it really is an apple.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2017, 05:22:58 pm »
Your comparing apples to oranges, and then using an orange to defend Obama. That's not pointing out hypocrisy, its pretending the apple is actually an orange when in fact, it really is an apple.

Obama should have been mocked from Day one for everything.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline anubias

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:17 pm »
No. I definitely think he should have. I never would fault a leader for their employment.  But Obama was mocked from Day One, even before the classroom.
  I agree that he was, but it was due to his inability to speak without a bazillion uh..uh...um... uhs.  It got to the point we never saw him speak without them. 

Honestly, I wish Trump would use the teleprompter more often than he does, but that's just me.  With everyone lying in wait to pounce on a mistake, it might be wiser for him to stick to the script for a while.  Obama didn't have folks clamoring for his impeachment or a special counsel investigating him at the time he went full on teleprompter either.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2017, 05:52:16 pm »
  I agree that he was, but it was due to his inability to speak without a bazillion uh..uh...um... uhs.  It got to the point we never saw him speak without them. 

Honestly, I wish Trump would use the teleprompter more often than he does, but that's just me.  With everyone lying in wait to pounce on a mistake, it might be wiser for him to stick to the script for a while.  Obama didn't have folks clamoring for his impeachment or a special counsel investigating him at the time he went full on teleprompter either.

Not just you. I'd like him to bump up the use more as well. Not go full Obama on it - Trump isn't terrible at speaking off the cuff, he's actually a very strong speaker, but the bugger lets himself get carried away.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »
That was one helluva speech.  Amazing when one considers it was given in Saudi Arabia in front of the ME leaders.  I'll say one thing for Trump, the man has guts.  Refreshing after eight years of cowardice.

Haven't seen it yet but apparently it was really good and, as you say, refreshing.

So many things Trump does remind us of Obama and make us glad Trump is here, tweeting and embarrassing us instead of betraying us and attempting to change our country for the worse.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2017, 07:29:16 pm »
Obama should have been mocked from Day one for everything.

Well, there you have it.  Such a racist comment!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
Well, there you have it.  Such a racist comment!

You can't be serious.   There's nothing "racist" in that comment at all.

He should have been mocked out of politics for admitting he didn't know how many ###kin' States we have.

...for his affiliation with Black Liberation Ideology and Jeremiah Wright.

...for his affiliation with William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn.

...for not being able to explain using a deceased Caucasian man's Social Security number in Connecticut...having never been there.

Racist by butt.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2017, 09:01:21 pm »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2017, 09:48:07 pm »

You have to understand why Obama was mocked for the teleprompter, in the context of 2009. In 2009, after Obama was elected, he was loudly praised by the media as being the smartest, most genuine President in human history, whose wit was completely off the cuff, etc. etc.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2017, 10:27:36 pm »
You can't be serious.   There's nothing "racist" in that comment at all.

He should have been mocked out of politics for admitting he didn't know how many ###kin' States we have.

...for his affiliation with Black Liberation Ideology and Jeremiah Wright.

...for his affiliation with William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn.

...for not being able to explain using a deceased Caucasian man's Social Security number in Connecticut...having never been there.

Racist by butt.

Chill D.C., I was absolutely joking.

Wingnut

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:29 pm »
You have to understand why Obama was mocked for the teleprompter, in the context of 2009. In 2009, after Obama was elected, he was loudly praised by the media as being the smartest, most genuine President in human history, whose wit was completely off the cuff, etc. etc.

Obama couldn't ad lib a fart after a baked bean dinner.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2017, 10:54:25 pm »
Chill D.C., I was absolutely joking.

My bad.   But the way a few members have been treating her the past couple month....who the hell could tell?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2017, 11:15:22 pm »
My bad.   But the way a few members have been treating her the past couple month....who the hell could tell?

@Emjay does seem to catch a lot of unnecessary heat @DCPatriot but she also has a tendency to declare nevertrumpers haters and I just can't wrap my brain around that concept, but I do give her the benefit of the doubt, it's all a matter of perception and hers is usually spot on.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:01 am »

@Emjay does seem to catch a lot of unnecessary heat @DCPatriot but she also has a tendency to declare nevertrumpers haters and I just can't wrap my brain around that concept, but I do give her the benefit of the doubt, it's all a matter of perception and hers is usually spot on.

Wait ... I don't call nevertrumpers haters.  I have a few other names for them.  No, kidding.  All I say about nevertrumpers is that their hate has become so integral to their personalities and mindsets that they cannot look at anything with any kind of impartiality.  It all has to be filtered through this trump hate thing.

And anyone who thought my comment about Obama had anything to do with his being Black is totally crazy.  I don't even think of Obama as Black.  I like Black people.  I think of Obama as an American hating muslim dude.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:55 am »
As for getting a lot of flack, I don't care.

I'd prefer to be liked but it annoys people that they can't help but see a bit of truth in what I say.

As Truman said, "I don't give 'em hell ... I tell the truth and they think it's hell."

Offline libertybele

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2017, 12:53:25 am »
Wait ... I don't call nevertrumpers haters.  I have a few other names for them.  No, kidding.  All I say about nevertrumpers is that their hate has become so integral to their personalities and mindsets that they cannot look at anything with any kind of impartiality.  It all has to be filtered through this trump hate thing.

And anyone who thought my comment about Obama had anything to do with his being Black is totally crazy.  I don't even think of Obama as Black.  I like Black people.  I think of Obama as an American hating muslim dude.

For Pete's sake ... I was joking about the racist comment. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2017, 01:02:22 am »
As for getting a lot of flack, I don't care.

I'd prefer to be liked but it annoys people that they can't help but see a bit of truth in what I say.

As Truman said, "I don't give 'em hell ... I tell the truth and they think it's hell."

I know you're not phishing for compliments @Emjay but even though we are far apart in our 'support' of OUR President I do respect your position and by gosh I like you too.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 01:16:38 am »

Nope.  Apples to apples.  Obama was mocked for using them in serious situations.  This is also one.  And there's no problem with teleprompter use in either.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2017, 01:20:28 am »
Honestly, I wish Trump would use the teleprompter more often than he does, but that's just me.

Agreed.  @anubias @EC
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:11 am »
Yawn!

let me know when they're set up in a 6th grade classroom.

Yeah, Trump hasn't done a press briefing in a 6th grade classroom like that yet.

BTW, here was the way he talked with the 6th graders themselves...

No teleprompters in sight.
+++++++++

Wingnut

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2017, 01:34:39 am »
As much as it pains me to defend Bath house barry Obama  It seems he held two separate sessions at the school -- the first with students and a second for the media. And while he did use two teleprompters for his comments to the media he did not use them for his discussion with the students.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2017, 01:57:55 am »
The President gave a (truly) historic  speech  in the cradle of Islam to the leaders of more than 50 Muslim nations ... introduced and supported by the king of Saudi Arabia.  The speech was carried into every living room in Saudi Arabia---directly reaching the 65% of the population below age 30---as well as to Muslim countries around the world.   

And we're talking about Barack Obama's speech eight years ago to school children?

Why is this?

Wingnut

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2017, 02:00:50 am »
The President gave a (truly) historic  speech  in the cradle of Islam to the leaders of more than 50 Muslim nations ... introduced and supported by the king of Saudi Arabia.  The speech was carried into every living room in Saudi Arabia---directly reaching the 65% of the population below age 30---as well as to Muslim countries around the world.   

And we're talking about Barack Obama's speech eight years ago to school children?

Why is this?

Because the #nevertrumpers have an attention span about as long as their dicks.

Offline corbe

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:16 am »
Because the #nevertrumpers have an attention span about as long as their d*cks. FINGERS and we are not rattled by the unsubstantiated rumours you purport, as your guy is.