Author Topic: BREAKING>>>FORMER FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER NAMED SPECIAL COUNSEL FOR FBI RUSSIA-TRUMP PROBE  (Read 3797 times)

Offline etcb

I agree that it goes beyond Trump and would mostly damage Clinton. I disagree that they didn't try to influence the election his way. We know there are a ton of phony news sites coming out of Russia, many of which just wanting to make a dime, but also apparently influencing.

It would actually be normal for Russia, or any other major nation, to influence our election in their favor. I suspect Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and many others had their hands in, either directly or indirectly, every single major candidate.

Trump wasn't distancing himself from Russia until near the end when it was used as an issue. Up until this campaign, he and his sons were even bragging about how much money they had coming in from Russia. One of Trump's primary business partners was Bayrock Group which was founded by Tevfik Arif who used to be the USSR's Minister of Commerce and Trade.

Long story short, the denials of having 'zero interests or connections with Russia' is BS. It is too extreme of a denial considering the facts of his history. Or, as the old saying goes: Me thinks he doth protest too much.

And these connections would be no big deal if he didn't make such a big deal about denying them. They would be normal connections but his loud denials raise a lot of suspicion he is hiding something bigger- that or he is just a dumbass.
My point is that this action removed the issue from a political or public relations one to a legal one.  Doing business with Russians is not a violation of U.S. Law.  Also, there is no law requiring a private citizen seeking a political office to disclose any financial relationship nor prohibiting a candidate from having friends or associates who have business or other entanglements with Russia.  Refusing to disclose or even hiding business dealing from the electorate is also not a crime.  Although there may be things that could have cost him the election, they didn't and if they are not defined crimes, they are not an issue for the justice system.

Like it or not, the election is over and Mr. Trump won.  Not saying he is but he could be the greatest bore in the world and could anger everyone in Washington or, as you say, be a dumbass, but the justice system only has jurisdiction over defined violations of law.  If he expects to accomplish anything, it would probably be wise to tone it down, but if he doesn't, that is not a crime either.

The thing that sets this special counsel apart from all others is that they were in administrations deep in their second term while Mr. Trump has only been in office for four months and had absolutely no power or official position during the election and for two months thereafter.  He was not in charge of granting security clearances or background checks for appointees or enforcement of election laws.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
My point is that this action removed the issue from a political or public relations one to a legal one.  Doing business with Russians is not a violation of U.S. Law....

...actually, there is the latest twist. A large investment partner was Vnesheconombank which was under US Sanctions at the time.
http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-vnesheconombank-trump-toronto-hotel-2017-5

His son in law has been called to testify on meetings with them.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/trump-son-in-law-met-executives-of-sanctioned-russian-bank-will-testify.html

Offline LetsTalk

• Right Here. Right Now.
This means very little. It's an act of desperation that will ultimately fail, nothing more.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly
to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly."

-Albert Einstein

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This means very little. It's an act of desperation that will ultimately fail, nothing more.

Act of desperation? You do know it was Trump's own justice department that did this, right?

Offline etcb

Trump has business interests throughout the world. In order for those business interests to exist Trump would have needed the permission of the Russian Mafia which is a de facto arm of the Russian government. The American mafia are choirboys  when compared to the Russian state mafia. Anyone who has spent any time living out of the country is very well aware of the ruthless nature of these guys and its their way or the highway or you are likely dead.

Seems to me Trump felt he was the only one in on the the secret that everyone else knew...
My point was not that he did not have extensive business dealings in many areas but that those dealings were not a violation of U.S. Law.  Neither would concealing those dealing from the voters.  The Justice Department and by extension a Special Counsel only has jurisdiction over violation of defined U.S. Criminal Law.  Mr. Trump has never had any government power or official position until two months after the election and can only be held legally responsible for things he personally did.  If his record was not adequately exposed or not taken into consideration by the voters, that is not a violation of the law.  The election is over and we don't have a do-over because his opponents ran a poor campaign or is unhappy with the results.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Act of desperation? You do know it was Trump's own justice department that did this, right?

:2popcorn:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline etcb

...actually, there is the latest twist. A large investment partner was Vnesheconombank which was under US Sanctions at the time.
http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-vnesheconombank-trump-toronto-hotel-2017-5

His son in law has been called to testify on meetings with them.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/trump-son-in-law-met-executives-of-sanctioned-russian-bank-will-testify.html
I read the article and while interesting, President Trump has no legal responsibility for his son-in-law.  As an aside, that is a fortunate distinction otherwise many of us would be in deep $#!%.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Because Mueller was given broad and virtually unlimited scope, this will hurt the Clinton/Obama syndicate more than it will even touch Trump.

You can bet that Hillary is crapping herself today. But that is probably nothing new.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

Because Mueller was given broad and virtually unlimited scope, this will hurt the Clinton/Obama syndicate more than it will even touch Trump.

You can bet that Hillary is crapping herself today. But that is probably nothing new.

We have all the main Rats on record praising Muellers appointment. Will be fun to see what he digs up because as of right now we have criminality on Hitlary and a big fat zero on Donny.

Offline DB

In the past these things often take a life of their own regardless of the truth of the original charge. Any errors/inconsistencies under oath can get people in serious trouble even though the answers given had little to do with the original charges. Scooter Libby is a good example.

I suspect Trump under oath would be a disaster for Trump because he says all kinds of things without much of a filter. The good news is it would seem very unlikely Trump would be required to answer questions under oath.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
In the past these things often take a life of their own regardless of the truth of the original charge. Any errors/inconsistencies under oath can get people in serious trouble even though the answers given had little to do with the original charges. Scooter Libby is a good example.

An interesting pattern occurred during the Obama Administration that few bothered to ever point out - the lack of a grand jury.  Funny thing about grand juries, prison time hangs over the head of those who testify.  But we never got that despite major scandals - all we got were dog and pony shows that produced nothing but sound bites for TV.

I have a long list of those I'd like to see hauled before a grand jury.  And if a single one of them can't remember a little thing like who they bumped into in the hallway two years ago, it's off to the big house for them just like Scooter Libby.

Offline montanajoe

My point was not that he did not have extensive business dealings in many areas but that those dealings were not a violation of U.S. Law.  Neither would concealing those dealing from the voters.  The Justice Department and by extension a Special Counsel only has jurisdiction over violation of defined U.S. Criminal Law.  Mr. Trump has never had any government power or official position until two months after the election and can only be held legally responsible for things he personally did.  If his record was not adequately exposed or not taken into consideration by the voters, that is not a violation of the law.  The election is over and we don't have a do-over because his opponents ran a poor campaign or is unhappy with the results.

Ever hear of the FCPA (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) Trumps actions could be motivated by a desire to cover the things the Russian Mafia extracted from him in order to do business in other countries. As I say most in the US have no knowledge and no concept of how the state supported Russian Mafia act on a global scale...

Offline skeeter

I suspect Trump under oath would be a disaster for Trump because he says all kinds of things without much of a filter. The good news is it would seem very unlikely Trump would be required to answer questions under oath.

I'm glad someone else here remembers how these things go.

They're fishing expeditions that have nothing to do with uncovering truth and everything to do with drumming up charges, and headlines, against as many of those around the ultimate target as possible. In other words, politics.

Since 1974 the democrats have been dreaming of duplicating their crowning achievement - winning an election without the votes.