Author Topic: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?  (Read 61141 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »
I used to think Citizens United was a good call, but these days I'm having my doubts.

It may be on a sound foundation (donating money qualifies as 1st Amendment protected Political Speech) but the best little whorehouse in DC has made itself so totally beholden to K Street I doubt most of Congress is even capable of writing a law themselves.

Which kind of explains why we keep getting Executive Orders Left and Right.

We've let the rascals get away with it for so long the will of the voters has become irrelevant to Congress.

Congressional Whores have turned us into a term limited monarchy.

No matter what any President wants done, they just take the money and flip him off.

As for Trump, he's doing a fine job of painting himself into one corner after another with his 'Art of the Deal' crap.

He needs a course in Public Speaking to learn how to make his case in televised addresses rather than tweets to understand how Reagan worked the room.

Firing Priebus as WH COS is a must if we want Trump to stop cutting his sell out deals.
Yes. All of this, especially the last.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2017, 06:24:50 pm »
That's the side you want to join???

This demanding everybody choose sides is what led us to where we have a child in office today.  "You're either on my side or you're the enemy" is fine for spotting Islamist terrorists and their enablers, but a very poor governing philosophy in the US.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:21 pm »
This demanding everybody choose sides is what led us to where we have a child in office today.  "You're either on my side or you're the enemy" is fine for spotting Islamist terrorists and their enablers, but a very poor governing philosophy in the US.

In the rube's pea sized brains, there are only two sides to join.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:43 pm »
It is time for party "leaders" like Ryan, McConnell McCain, Cruz etc. to speak out to show us all how much they are committed to the agenda.

Or perhaps they expect Trump to get completely pissed off, resign and start over with Pence, weakened like Gerald Ford.
I doubt McCain will, he's still pee-ohed at not getting 'his turn' and votes with the Liberals. McConnell, Ryan, maybe sometimes, Cruz will support what he thinks is right, and the two were at 80% or better on issues in the campaign, once you got past the smear crap.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2017, 06:27:06 pm »
Great post

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2017, 06:37:20 pm »
Yep. I too have problems with that aspect of Trump supporters.   :tongue2:

Bitter, hateful old farts?

I resent that.  I am not old.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2017, 06:39:51 pm »
Bitter, hateful old farts?

I resent that.  I am not old.

Touche, madamoiselle.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:34 pm »
I am astonished that the "if you're not supporting Trump then you're supporting Hillary" nonsense is still alive and well here.  Really.  Astonished.

And the same person suggests that Ted Cruz be loud about what Congress is doing to push aside the Dem agenda?!  Riiiight!  A goldfish has a memory long enough to remember that the Trump supporters were telling Ted to sit down and shut up because he lost. 

@Emjay

Offline skeeter

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2017, 06:45:14 pm »

There is a third side that is neither for Trump nor against him.

He was elected. The establishment - political community, media, bureaucracy - is attempting to reverse that election under the pretense of some grotesque double standard of justice. There is no evidence to speak of yet they're already talking about impeachment.

Unless some real law breaking or otherwise truly impeachable offense is revealed then opposing the establishment's effort to reverse the results of the past election does not equate to defending Trump simply because he's "our guy". It would be a catastrophe if they were to succeed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:04 pm »
Great post

We've grown a lot together over the years, @Once-Ler.   :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2017, 06:47:36 pm »
I am astonished that the "if you're not supporting Trump then you're supporting Hillary" nonsense is still alive and well here.  Really.  Astonished.

And the same person suggests that Ted Cruz be loud about what Congress is doing to push aside the Dem agenda?!  Riiiight!  A goldfish has a memory long enough to remember that the Trump supporters were telling Ted to sit down and shut up because he lost. 

@Emjay

I am astonished that you are astonished.  Really.  Really astonished.  Particularly since I never once said anything like that.

All I've said is that I was so relieved that Hillary wasn't elected that I decided to support Trump if I possibly could.  And Trump has made it possible to support him on a number of issues and actions.

Yes, Trump was horrible to Cruz.  But Cruz is the better man.  He is a conservative and a pragmatist.  He wants to help Trump with any conservative agenda Trump is attempting to get through.

There is no one more respected and better qualified to lead the Senate right now.  And the Senate and Congress should be speaking up to defend Trump against unfounded and unproven and libelous assertions by the press.

I hope you don't faint with astonishment now.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »
And the Senate and Congress should be speaking up to defend Trump against unfounded and unproven and libelous assertions by the press.

That's probably where most of the leaks are coming from.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:24 pm »

He was elected. The establishment - political community, media, bureaucracy - is attempting to reverse that election under the pretense of some grotesque double standard of justice. There is no evidence to speak of yet they're already talking about impeachment.

Unless some real law breaking or otherwise truly impeachable offense is revealed then opposing the establishment's effort to reverse the results of the past election does not equate to defending Trump simply because he's "our guy". It would be a catastrophe if they were to succeed.
That gets back to upholding, protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States.

Some people are apparently not for that, whether they are Liberals, or calling for a dictator to reverse the policies and laws the liberals passed, or people caught up in some cult of adulation who think they have found a political messiah to heal all ills with a wave of the hand. 

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »
You claim to despise Obama and the Clintons and yet you play into their hands by your emphasis on proving yourself right to hate Trump.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2017, 06:58:40 pm »

Good point.  But who's leaking to Congress?  I'd like to follow that string back to the originators.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2017, 06:59:09 pm »
No....why say that you know it's not true....I have privately asked for that to be edited...if it is not I will do it!

I was out all day.

Sorry about that....   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2017, 07:00:14 pm »
That gets back to upholding, protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States.

Some people are apparently not for that, whether they are Liberals, or calling for a dictator to reverse the policies and laws the liberals passed, or people caught up in some cult of adulation who think they have found a political messiah to heal all ills with a wave of the hand.

I'm simply saying that in some cases, probably most on this site, defending Trump no more equates to mindlessly defending a  political messiah than opposing him equals support for Hillary.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2017, 07:02:14 pm »

Maybe from McCain and Linda.  Or possibly others I don't trust.

But not most of the leaks.  Most of the leaks are coming from the Hillary/Obama clan who still have their ugly talons into everything and whose greatest desire in the world is to destroy Trump.

Yes, Trump's personality gives them ammunition but we shouldn't let that interfere with our own thought processes.

Most of the lack of progress on the conservative agenda can be attributed to Congress also.  For them to turn around and blame Trump or refuse to support him against this virtual War is unforgivable.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »
This quote was about emulating jihadists though... that's crazy town IMO. Killing women, children, beheading, etc. etc.

I guess people are ok with that kind of talk at this site?

Or...maybe they just know you're FOS.     

Please show us the quote where I am for "Killing women, children, beheading, etc. etc."
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2017, 07:03:38 pm »
Good point.  But who's leaking to Congress?  I'd like to follow that string back to the originators.

Probably some of it coming from within the WH as Erick Erickson pointed out yesterday.

It's also probably...IMHO...being drawn from things that are being said to committees and panels by people from the Executive during hearings and quarterly reviews.

Probably stuff that should leave the committee chambers but is being told to a reporter anyway.  And it's safe to say it's something being done by both sides equally.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »

Or...maybe they just know you're FOS.     

Please show us the quote where I am for "Killing women, children, beheading, etc. etc."

Gee...how else is one supposed to take a call to "emulate the jihadists"?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

Terrific post @skeeter

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2017, 07:06:07 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

The keyboard warriors who call for violence---like this, and another post yesterday advocating punching journalists in the mouth---will never do anything but call for it. They'll hope someone else takes action so they can watch from their couches.

Of course.

I'm 71 years old.  WTF could I do to change things??   I don't even own any firearms.

But.....it's a good GD thing (for me) I'm not 31 today.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »
Gee...how else is one supposed to take a call to "emulate the jihadists"?

You're the one who self-professes to be a big brain round here.....you figure it out.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2017, 07:07:49 pm »