Author Topic: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?  (Read 61134 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: When Will Republicans Dump Trump?
« Reply #750 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »

And how do you fix this?   You appoint non-kook judges.    You have to have a President willing to appoint Non-Kook Judges,   and in the case between Trump and Hillary,  it is clear which one was more likely to appoint non-kook judges.

There are currently 120 vacancies on the Federal Bench.  How many has Trump filled?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #751 on: May 19, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »
It took more than a half century for LBJ'S "great society" to bring us to this point and will take at least half that long to correct even if a concerted effort is undertaken to do it.

I don't know if it's possible, given an infinite amount of time and effort.

We've reached a point where the Gibsmedat crowd can outvote the producers at will.  That's why I felt physically ill after the 2012 election, because I knew that we'd passed the tipping point where the people figured out they could just vote themselves cash from the government pot.

It's why this form of government is only workable with a moral population.  People will resist looting the treasury only if their morals prohibit theft, and there are far too many people now perfectly happy to live off the earnings of others by stealing it, using government as the agent of force.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #752 on: May 19, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »
There is an alternative, but it requires catching federal judges performing acts which can lead to their impeachment. I would guess that the Judges who rendeer the most liberal decisions may do so because of their sympathy with those committing the acts against the laws they place a stay upon.

Whether that sympathy crosses the line into actual illegal behaviour on their part is the question, and if it does, that may be cause for impeachment, especially if proven behaviour prior to placing a stay on any given law or executive order antedates the stay, and occurs within the time the law is in effect.

For all practical purposes, stopping a law from being enforced because they (or someone who is related, or with whom there is a fiscal or other connection) have broken the law could be an avenue of approach.  It is difficult, however to prove that situation, but if so, that may be a battle plan.

At base it is the responsibility of congress and just as @Cyber Liberty has already stated, until they decide to exercise the powers granted them by the Constitution  there is little that can be done outside of continuing to elect presidents who will appoint good judges,

The reason congress is unwilling to do their jobs is that most of them are lawyers first and would love to become either a K street lobbyist or a judge upon their retirment from congres.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #753 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:11 pm »

Yes.   If you can't make big sweeping bites into the problem,   make whatever bites you can.
Those bites are listed elsewhere on this forum. There were roughly 80 promises, some of which are a good idea, some of which are not. Unfortunately, in the midst of all the Russian kerfuffle Tillerson signed onto what amounts to a committment to the Paris Accords, and the ethanol mandate will be kept. Despite appointing an EPA chief who doesn't believe in AGW, Tillerson's actions effectively negate much of the potential progress that can be made.

Ethanol will continue destroying small engines where people haven't figured out how to get it out of the fuel and can't get ethanol free fuel. Some form of cap and trade remains a possibility. There is little advantage to building oil pipelines when the very market comes under attack by the same administration's actions.
As far as I am concerned, Gorsuch is the salient accomplishment, and the jury is still out on how he will rule.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #754 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:58 pm »

We've reached a point where the Gibsmedat crowd can outvote the producers at will.  That's why I felt physically ill after the 2012 election, because I knew that we'd passed the tipping point where the people figured out they could just vote themselves cash from the government pot.

It's why this form of government is only workable with a moral population.  People will resist looting the treasury only if their morals prohibit theft, and there are far too many people now perfectly happy to live off the earnings of others by stealing it, using government as the agent of force.

You may well be right but I believe the effort must be made never - the - less.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #755 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:42 pm »
The reason congress is unwilling to do their jobs is that most of them are lawyers first and would love to become either a K street lobbyist or a judge upon their retirement from congress.

We need to close down the Congressional office buildings and allow for Congressional offices to be placed inside each Congressman' Congressional district, and Senate offices in their corresponding State capital.  They can use Webex to cast votes.  No more K-street.  No more influence.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #756 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:09 pm »
There are currently 120 vacancies on the Federal Bench.  How many has Trump filled?

His Full Cabinet is in place and he can't blame McConnell, since he's gone nuclear.

Tracking how many key positions Trump has filled so far

See 20 updates in the last seven days

Updated May 19 at 5:28 p.m.

Of 557 key positions requiring Senate confirmation …

No nominee

Awaiting nomination

Formally nominated

Confirmed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-administration-appointee-tracker/database/

Maybe that damn ol Loyalty Pledge is gumming up the process?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #757 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »

The time when that approach would have worked I think is now past.   We have a different set of demographics than we did in 1995,   and so I don't think you could get work fare through congress today.
I think it could still fly, but it has to be packaged right. It has to be sold as benefiting the minority and other communities which are the recipients, and cannot ever be allowed to be portrayed as a racial issue, because the fiscal solvency of the nation isn't a racial issue.
It doesn't matter how big the check is if the dollars aren't worth anything, and that's where we are headed if we keep printing them.

This is a more plausible idea.   Of all the ones mentioned,  this is the closest to possible,   but I still think the current congress wouldn't do it,  and would claim to not even see the need to do it. 

But we can nibble at this apple several different ways,   and I think we need to do some of that. 

Texas' efforts to create a $10,000.00 degree program is exactly the sort of thing we need to be doing.   Also credentializing the Khan Academy and others like it would take some of the money out of "Higher"  education.

The Selling of credentials at exorbitant prices is a long ongoing scam in this nation,  and we need to be draining the profit out of it.
It is what makes liberal professors 'elites', there is no way universities could afford their crap otherwise. Especially by pushing the STEM aspect, an "Invest in America" campaign could take root.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #758 on: May 19, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »
Yes, the systemic flaw is in repeatedly doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Republicans.

Better to begin again elsewhere, with those who would actually fulfill their promises.
Where the party platform actually means something.
And where candidates actually believe in their causes.

In my vast experience, you will get *nothing* from the GOP.
And you will get nothing from Trump.

Relying upon people absent of character will never yield results
888high58888  I have been saying for years that that 'R' does not mean they are conservative. Chris Christie proved that a long time ago.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #759 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Ethanol will continue destroying small engines where people haven't figured out how to get it out of the fuel and can't get ethanol free fuel. Some form of cap and trade remains a possibility. There is little advantage to building oil pipelines when the very market comes under attack by the same administration's actions.

I don't know why it's impossible to get people to understand Ethanol simply doesn't carry enough BTUs of energy to be a replacement for Gasoline.  When the point of persuasion was "Better smog control," it made more sense than this business of "Eliminate oil."  I don't know how many times I pointed out there isn't enough biomass in the world to replace Oil for fuel, nobody seems to get the point.

Had a liberal friend on the phone one day and he asked me about energy, and I said, "It's stupid to burn our food, and moving the tailpipe from our car to a power plant somewhere by driving an electric car is equally stupid."  It's racist to boot, because they don't put power plants in the backyards of people with money and political power.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #760 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »
888high58888  I have been saying for years that that 'R' does not mean they are conservative. Chris Christie proved that a long time ago.

It was proven long before that.  Hoover could hardly be called anything close to "conservative."
I will NOT comply.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #761 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »
We need to close down the Congressional office buildings and allow for Congressional offices to be placed inside each Congressman' Congressional district, and Senate offices in their corresponding State capital.  They can use Webex to cast votes.  No more K-street.  No more influence.

Yep. All debate and voting can be live streamed. With today's technology they can stay in district 100% of the time. K-Street would still be in the mix, but it would make it a bit more difficult. Congressional offices can be sold to universities for offices, classrooms, dorms, etc. the Capitol building can be taken over by parks and some money could be made on tourism. Also, we need to drastically curb office expenses. One secretary per Congress person. Okay, maybe two per senator. That's it. All other personnel must be paid for by the Congress person. Hell, let's go ahead and ration office supplies while we're at it. They need to operate on shoe strings.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #762 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:50 pm »
The problem is that Trump's popularity and successful election proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that not even Republicans want to correct the vile actions and consequences of LBJ's "great society."

We are in a tiny minority here, and the majority of Republicans are scoffing at us because we still believe what we believed 50 years ago.

I don't know how we right this ship with the mentality we see in Trump's supporters.....
What gets me is that we rejected the idea of an autocratic fellow from New York when Giuliani didn't get the nomination. Chief points of opposition were that he'd want to govern by decree, and now we have what we have. Maybe Rudy just didn't have a pretty enough wife, or enough gold trim...

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #763 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:56 pm »
I don't know why it's impossible to get people to understand Ethanol simply doesn't carry enough BTUs of energy to be a replacement for Gasoline.  When the point of persuasion was "Better smog control," it made more sense than this business of "Eliminate oil."  I don't know how many times I pointed out there isn't enough biomass in the world to replace Oil for fuel, nobody seems to get the point.

Had a liberal friend on the phone one day and he asked me about energy, and I said, "It's stupid to burn our food, and moving the tailpipe from our car to a power plant somewhere by driving an electric car is equally stupid."  It's racist to boot, because they don't put power plants in the backyards of people with money and political power.

I like asking libs why they would want a coal powered car.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #764 on: May 19, 2017, 09:55:49 pm »
Yep. All debate and voting can be live streamed. With today's technology they can stay in district 100% of the time. K-Street would still be in the mix, but it would make it a bit more difficult. Congressional offices can be sold to universities for offices, classrooms, dorms, etc. the Capitol building can be taken over by parks and some money could be made on tourism. Also, we need to drastically curb office expenses. One secretary per Congress person. Okay, maybe two per senator. That's it. All other personnel must be paid for by the Congress person. Hell, let's go ahead and ration office supplies while we're at it. They need to operate on shoe strings.

I like that.  "You want a new pencil?  Sure!  Bring me your old one and I'll trade."  Same for Gucci loafers.  I really hate the ones with the little tassels on them.  Who needs shoestrings, anyway?
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #765 on: May 19, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »

Agreed. Unfortunately, the antidote for ethanol in fuel is water. Mix enough in the gas to absorb the alcohol, then let the water settle and decant the gasoline with a lot less alcohol. Which will mean people dumping contaminated water down drains, in sewers, on the ground...
unintended consequences and all that.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #766 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »
I like asking libs why they would want a coal powered car.

They'll just tell you they don't want coal generating electricity, they want wind farms to chew up endangered birds instead.

Check this out:

The population of California Condors in the wild was on the rise until 2012, and is now collapsing.  Why?  Wind farms.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #767 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:45 pm »
They'll just tell you they don't want coal generating electricity, they want wind farms to chew up endangered birds instead.

Check this out:

The population of California Condors in the wild was on the rise until 2012, and is now collapsing.  Why?  Wind farms.
Are there any stats on how the solar cookers are doing?

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #768 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:21 pm »
Agreed. Unfortunately, the antidote for ethanol in fuel is water. Mix enough in the gas to absorb the alcohol, then let the water settle and decant the gasoline with a lot less alcohol. Which will mean people dumping contaminated water down drains, in sewers, on the ground...
unintended consequences and all that.

What would that do to the detergents and no-knock additives?
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #769 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:52 pm »
Are there any stats on how the solar cookers are doing?

I don't think so.  There are not enough of those steam-driven solar farms to get a feel for how many birds are being killed, we only have anecdotal information.  BTW, the techs who operate the plants have a name for the birds that get killed:  "Streamers."  When a bird gets close to the concentration point of the arrayed solar mirrors they burst into flames.
I will NOT comply.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #770 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09:08 pm »
I like that.  "You want a new pencil?  Sure!  Bring me your old one and I'll trade."  Same for Gucci loafers.  I really hate the ones with the little tassels on them.  Who needs shoestrings, anyway?

Yep. Travel accounts can be cut drastically since they can communicate electronically with their constituents. No more hopping back and forth across the country for "official business."
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #771 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »

This is as close as I will ever get to Gucci loafers, and I thank God often for that.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:11:28 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #772 on: May 19, 2017, 10:24:44 pm »

Screw burning our food, we're burning our alcohol!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #773 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:07 pm »
Uh, no, I'm not falling for that non-rational BS.  The question was in regarding the Conservative approach to dissuading irresponsible behavior.  It is disingenuous to support liberal Republicans at the expense of Conservative ones, and then criticize Conservative Republicans for not being in position to enact Conservative legislation.

You supported Trump.  You got what you paid for.  You told Conservatives you didn't need us.  So live with it.  I've told you what Conservatives should do.  You clearly reject it.  So enjoy your future as Democrat-lite.  By next election, the voters will figure it out and go for the real thing instead of the imitation.  And you will again be blaming Conservatives because they didn't want to sell their souls for short-lived political expediency.

The "gist"  of your message has a "Puritan Witch Hunter"  vibe  to it.

"Witch!"

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #774 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:28 pm »

I have an idea.  Conservatives need to step up and start running for the local school boards, or at least pay attention to who is running.

Ensure that the next generations are taught about American history (warts and all), our Constitution and why it was written as it is and the difference between what was intended and how it is being interpreted.  Teach them the scientific method, logic, and to question and think for themselves.  Teach them truth. and fire any teachers who put politics before knowledge.  Teach them to be skeptical of the textbook/media/faceplant/etc, and look to the primary sources.  Teach them about Ponzi schemes and the history of successful government interventions into markets.

Maybe we can't elect enough Conservatives to fix this mess.  I certainly don't think we can.  But since we're living large on their money, it seems to me we owe the future generations the opportunity to do so.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.