Author Topic: The Last Kingdom  (Read 4857 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The Last Kingdom
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »
First, I'll start that I am an absolute history junkie, even in cinema with some artistic/fact liberties taken.

Am watching some of the best of this genre in years right now.(IMO). I may be late on the boat on this one, but if you are into this kind of entertainment, it is like GOT, with a semi-historical slant.

"Last Kingdom" is based on a Bernard Cornwell set of novels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_(TV_series)

Just wondering if anyone else is watching this?  I am pretty up to date on some historical eras, but not as much on 9th century Britain.  I know it is fiction, but obviously has some fact basis.  Just wondering about accuracy. (i.e Braveheart fact bad)

1st season was with BBC, 2nd as a Netflix original.  Both seasons can be seen on Netflix.  Finally, I sure hope there is a Season 3.

And of course a warning, it is PG13-R ish, and very much not intended for children.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:54:14 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
Re: The Last Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:44 pm »
I've watched it and am a big fan. It's definitely not child friendly.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:53:41 pm »
First, I'll start that I am an absolute history junkie, even in cinema with some artistic/fact liberties taken.

Am watching some of the best of this genre in years right now.(IMO). I may be late on the boat on this one, but if you are into this kind of entertainment, it is like GOT, with a semi-historical slant.

"Last Kingdom" is based on a Bernard Cornwell set of novels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_(TV_series)

THANK YOU! "Bernard Cornwell" was all the information I needed to know. I have been watching that link on Netflix ever since it appeared,and ALMOST clicking on it.

I start actually clicking on it tonight.

If there are any of you out there that like to read that haven't read any of his book,you owe it to yourself to start with Book 1 of the series of your choosing. Or if you get a package deal on used books,buy the whole damn series at the same time and binge read.

I have read his books on The Kingdom,and his books on Africa. Both series are the type that you really hate to see a book ending unless you have the one that follows already in your possession. This guy really is that good.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:54 pm »
I don’t know about the historical accuracy, I’m sure it takes liberties, but I do like how they show the names of certain places and towns in the old Saxon language and it morphs into what it is called now in modern English.  That, and when I was staying at my nephew’s, his wife and I thought Uhtred Son Of Uhtred was smoking hot. Nom, nom!

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline anubias

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:21:13 pm »
Thanks for the head’s up.  I am currently looking for something to binge.  Pickings have become slim on Netflix for me lately.  I even tried to watch “The Gilmore Girls” last night.  Good God.  Whoever made that series should be shot.  I had to fight the urge to shoot the television until my head cleared enough from the NyQuil to hit the off button and go to sleep.

I’ll search for TLK and will pick up the books unless TLK puts me to sleep which I doubt since y’all like it.  You all have given me excellent advice in the past on binge-worthy Netflix.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:11:34 am »
Watched the first season when I had BBC.  Kind of confusing as it overlapped (characters, events) with another show I was watching at the time.

I'm watching Vikings (and Real Vikings) and Knightfall Wednesday nights on History now.  I'd recommend them to anyone who likes The Last Kingdom.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »
Watched the first season when I had BBC.  Kind of confusing as it overlapped (characters, events) with another show I was watching at the time.

I'm watching Vikings (and Real Vikings) and Knightfall Wednesday nights on History now.  I'd recommend them to anyone who likes The Last Kingdom.

Ok,this is an update. I watched season 1 last night and a couple of season 2 episodes,and was underwhealmed. A lot of the acting was good,but that was mostly the second tier actors. The main guy was just so-so,and I think was hired to attract the "bodice tearers" from historical romance novels.

Also,I had read all the books a few years ago,and it is never a good idea to read the books and then see the series. I bought the entire set of Game of Thrones books after watching a couple of episodes,and they remain sealed in plastic to this day. I won't read any of the until I have watched the whole series at least twice.

Let's face it,even series like The Game of Thrones or The Lonesome Dove would suck if you read the books before viewing the series.

Also,the main characters in G of T and Lonesome Dove could do more than pose. They could actually act.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Mention of Ragnar and Rollo threw me,too.