Author Topic: New Jersey governor refuses to ban child marriage because 'it would conflict with religious customs'  (Read 4227 times)

Offline r9etb

In most states, marriage can occur below the age of consent with parental approval. Or is the state the parent, now, too? I still don't see what that has to do with "religious customs".

I don't know what religious customs he was referring to either.

However.

The law in question was going to limit marriage to 18 or over, no exceptions.  My guess at the intent of the law is to prevent "parental approval" from being taken to the very extremes people are all upset about here.

If the law is going to define minimum ages, and the intent is to not allow such parental approvals, then "exceptions" would naturally have to be granted by a judge.

Even in "parental approval" states, however, that is a legal requirement that has to be included on the marriage license.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Could this be the reason Gov is doing this ?

As of the 2010 Census, there were 170,070 people of Asian descent in Middlesex County accounting for 21% of the county's total population. At 61.57% of the population of Asian descent, Indian Americans accounted for a majority of the county's Asian population or 12.93% (104,705 people) of the county's total population in 2010, increasing to 119,579 (14.4%) by 2015, more than that of the other sub-groups combined.[23][24] Middlesex County had the largest population of Asian Indians of all counties in New Jersey; in the 2010 Census, only Santa Clara County, California (117,596) and Queens County, New York (117,550) had a larger population of Asian Indians.[25]

from Wikipedia.

that is a lot of voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_County,_New_Jersey
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:22:19 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goodwithagun

I find it sad and creepy when anyone tries to justify child marriage and pedophilia because "centuries ago it was more common and accepted"....

Agreed. We used to throw Christians to the lions, too, but that's not a reason to bring back that "tradition."
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline skeeter

Could this be the reason Gov is doing this ?

As of the 2010 Census, there were 170,070 people of Asian descent in Middlesex County accounting for 21% of the county's total population. At 61.57% of the population of Asian descent, Indian Americans accounted for a majority of the county's Asian population or 12.93% (104,705 people) of the county's total population in 2010, increasing to 119,579 (14.4%) by 2015, more than that of the other sub-groups combined.[23][24] Middlesex County had the largest population of Asian Indians of all counties in New Jersey; in the 2010 Census, only Santa Clara County, California (117,596) and Queens County, New York (117,550) had a larger population of Asian Indians.[25]

from Wikipedia.

that is a lot of voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_County,_New_Jersey

Was the governor pandering?

Perish the thought!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Was the governor pandering?

Perish the thought!
Aitch one bees? or "West Asians"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Aitch one bees? or "West Asians"?

He'll get around to all of em.

They always do.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
And according to the article,

Not a very objectionable stipulation, unless one sees the entire world through certain filters.
I get so tired of writers for conservative media looking for an excuse to be outraged. As I've gotten older I've gotten more and more tired of all the outrage over everything.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline goodwithagun

I get so tired of writers for conservative media looking for an excuse to be outraged. As I've gotten older I've gotten more and more tired of all the outrage over everything.

That, sir, is outrageous!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
We should be outraged by things like child marriages and polygamy.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
We should be outraged by things like child marriages and polygamy.
Sure, but that doesn't mean we need to outlaw every marriage for someone under 18.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour