Author Topic: ACLU issues Texas “Travel Advisory” after governor signs “sanctuary" bill  (Read 1660 times)

Online corbe

ACLU issues Texas “Travel Advisory” after governor signs “sanctuary" bill

One of the country’s largest civil rights groups is cautioning against traveling to Texas after Gov. Greg Abbott signed what critics have called an extreme state-based immigration bill.    

by Julián Aguilar May 9, 2017 2 hours ago

One of the country’s largest civil rights groups is cautioning against traveling to Texas after Gov. Greg Abbott signed what critics have called the most extreme state-based immigration bill in history.

Though the bill, Senate Bill 4, doesn’t take effect until September 1, the American Civil Liberties Union said in its announcement that it “is concerned that some law enforcement officers may begin to treat residents and travelers unfairly now.”

The bill allows peace officers to question the immigration status of people they legally detain or arrest, and also punishes department heads and elected officials who don’t cooperate with federal immigration agents. Abbott and other supporters of the bill insist it’s needed to enforce the rule of law and deter people who are already in the country illegally from committing more crimes.

Many law enforcement agencies and faith-based organizations have said the law opens up the state to legalized racial profiling and could also place U.S. citizens in the crosshairs of local police who want to enforce immigration law.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/09/aclu-warns-against-traveling-texas-after-abbott-signed-sb4/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

It's always so refreshing when a good plan comes together.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

Texas sues Austin officials ahead of expected sanctuary cities ban lawsuits
http://kxan.com/2017/05/08/in-lawsuit-paxton-asks-federal-court-to-uphold-sanctuary-cities-law/

Less than a day after Senate Bill 4, a ban on sanctuary cities in Texas, was signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott, the state’s attorney general has filed a lawsuit asking a federal court to uphold the constitutionality of the law.

Abbott signed the sanctuary cities ban into law Sunday night in a rare Facebook Live.

“SB 4 guarantees cooperation among federal, state and local law enforcement to protect Texans,” Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a statement Monday. “Unfortunately, some municipalities and law enforcement agencies are unwilling to cooperate with the federal government and claim that SB 4 is unconstitutional.”

Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez is named in the state’s lawsuit brought before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, along with Travis County, the city of Austin and — in their official capacity — Austin Mayor Steve Adler and City Council members.

“I think when the Texas Attorney General is suing you, you are doing something right and I think that we have often said that Austin is a welcoming city and we often said we disagree with SB4 and its intent,” Council Member Delia Garza who represents district 2 says....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

How is telling Libs not to travel to TX a losing proposition?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

“I think when the Texas Attorney General is suing you, you are doing something right and I think that we have often said that Austin is a welcoming city and we often said we disagree with SB4 and its intent,” Council Member Delia Garza who represents district 2 says....
Is this insanity taken to the next level or what?

I am sooooo glad I did not retire in my native city.  It is a real nuthouse.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

How is telling Libs not to travel to TX a losing proposition?

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline rodamala

Trump's WallTM would be better serving if it just circled Austin.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump's WallTM would be better serving if it just circled Austin.

Yeah, but it would be really good if it could cut Zilker Park out and return it to the rest of us.

Offline rodamala

Yeah, but it would be really good if it could cut Zilker Park out and return it to the rest of us.