Author Topic: Five senators to watch in healthcare fight  (Read 535 times)

Offline corbe

Five senators to watch in healthcare fight
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »

By Jessie Hellmann - 05/07/17 05:53 PM EDT

The House’s passage of legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare moves the issue to the Senate, where its future is far from certain.

GOP senators have said they will overhaul the House bill, and that legislation won’t reach the floor until it has 51 votes.

Here are the five key players to watch.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.)

Alexander is the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pension’s Committee. He’s also in a working group created to hash out a compromise among Republicans on healthcare.

The veteran senator, who left leadership in 2011 because he wanted to focus more on policy, has been working for weeks on a reform bill that could pass the Senate on a GOP vote through special budget rules that would prevent a Democratic filibuster.
He laid out his priorities in a floor speech on Thursday.

They include helping people living in counties slated to have zero insurers on the exchanges next year; lowering premiums; “gradually” transferring to states more flexibility in the administrations of their Medicaid programs — without pulling the rug out from people who got coverage through ObamaCare’s expansion; and making sure people with pre-existing conditions have access to health insurance.

Alexander has a vetted interested in pushing reform through the upper chamber: 16 counties in his home state currently have no insurers on the exchanges for 2018.

That means people living there will have no way to use their subsidies unless Congress acts or another insurer steps in.

<..snip..> (per established TBR guidelines)

Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Maine
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)
Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas)
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky)
Sen. Rob Portman (Ohio)

Full Article at link below

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/332153-five-senators-to-watch-in-heathcare-fight

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Five senators to watch in healthcare fight
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:36:55 pm »
McConnell: Senate healthcare ‘will be a simple majority vote situation’

By Mallory Shelbourne  - 05/07/17 05:47 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Saturday that the Senate does not expect any help from Democrats as it tries to pass legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

“We don’t anticipate any Democratic help at all, so it will be a simple majority vote situation,” McConnell told The Associated Press.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/332312-mcconnell-senate-healthcare-will-be-a-simple-majority-vote-situation
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:25:36 am »
It will be interesting to see how Republican sell their approach to the sausage making.  Personally, I would focus on the point this will be a 100% Republican bill and Democrats are not welcome.  They should not comment, attempt to be even remotely part of the process, and can leave their TNT and other sabotage creating tools at home.

This process is only for those who have reached puberty.

For one thing this will this help quasi Republicans rediscover their backbone.  Knowing they can't blame this on a compromise with whining Democrats they will be force to take complete ownership of their actions.  It's called accountability.

Plus, a good clean bill will assist all Republicans in upcoming elections.  Voters in the mid-terms will be able to compare apples and apples and decide for themselves if they prefer the heavy handed ObamaCare approach or RepubliCare.

They have to understand that it doesn't matter what they come up with CNN will be touting the opposition propaganda.  Dead babies will be stacking up in the streets and grandma won't even have a wheel chair to be pushed off the cliff in.  She'll have to be tossed over the cliff by two brown-shirted thugs wearing armbands.  Even if they promise to pick up Jimmy Kimmel's kid in a gold plated Cadillac the Republicans are going to be hammered ten ways to Sunday.

The Republicans need to build a wall to keep Democrats away from the process completely.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:32:43 am »

By Jessie Hellmann - 05/07/17 05:53 PM EDT

The House’s passage of legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare moves the issue to the Senate, where its future is far from certain.

GOP senators have said they will overhaul the House bill, and that legislation won’t reach the floor until it has 51 votes.

Here are the five key players to watch.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.)

Alexander is the chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pension’s Committee. He’s also in a working group created to hash out a compromise among Republicans on healthcare.

The veteran senator, who left leadership in 2011 because he wanted to focus more on policy, has been working for weeks on a reform bill that could pass the Senate on a GOP vote through special budget rules that would prevent a Democratic filibuster.
He laid out his priorities in a floor speech on Thursday.

They include helping people living in counties slated to have zero insurers on the exchanges next year; lowering premiums; “gradually” transferring to states more flexibility in the administrations of their Medicaid programs — without pulling the rug out from people who got coverage through ObamaCare’s expansion; and making sure people with pre-existing conditions have access to health insurance.

Alexander has a vetted interested in pushing reform through the upper chamber: 16 counties in his home state currently have no insurers on the exchanges for 2018.

That means people living there will have no way to use their subsidies unless Congress acts or another insurer steps in.

<..snip..> (per established TBR guidelines)

Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Maine
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)
Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas)
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky)
Sen. Rob Portman (Ohio)

Full Article at link below

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/332153-five-senators-to-watch-in-heathcare-fight

"Alexander has a vetted interested in pushing reform through the upper chamber: 16 counties in his home state currently have no insurers on the exchanges for 2018."

We weren't promised "reform". We were promised "REPEAL". It would seem logical to me since insurers continue to drop out all over the country to repeal the ACA before it complete disintegrates.  Why is Congress bent on trying to save the liberal's sinking ship?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:44:33 am »
It will be interesting to see how Republican sell their approach to the sausage making.  Personally, I would focus on the point this will be a 100% Republican bill and Democrats are not welcome.  They should not comment, attempt to be even remotely part of the process, and can leave their TNT and other sabotage creating tools at home.

This process is only for those who have reached puberty.

For one thing this will this help quasi Republicans rediscover their backbone.  Knowing they can't blame this on a compromise with whining Democrats they will be force to take complete ownership of their actions.  It's called accountability.

Plus, a good clean bill will assist all Republicans in upcoming elections.  Voters in the mid-terms will be able to compare apples and apples and decide for themselves if they prefer the heavy handed ObamaCare approach or RepubliCare.

They have to understand that it doesn't matter what they come up with CNN will be touting the opposition propaganda.  Dead babies will be stacking up in the streets and grandma won't even have a wheel chair to be pushed off the cliff in.  She'll have to be tossed over the cliff by two brown-shirted thugs wearing armbands.  Even if they promise to pick up Jimmy Kimmel's kid in a gold plated Cadillac the Republicans are going to be hammered ten ways to Sunday.

The Republicans need to build a wall to keep Democrats away from the process completely.

There might be a democrat or two that can be peeled off their insane opposition to everything that benefits Americans.  Joe Manchin comes to mind as one who opposed 0bamacare IIRC.

But otherwise, I completely agree.  Efforts to obtain democRAT support are a waste of time.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:00 am »
In the article, the five include Collins (ME), and not Murkowski (AK) or McTurtle (KY) in case anyone finds the excerpt a little curious.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.