Author Topic: Sorry Nerds, But Colonizing Other Planets Is Not A Good Plan  (Read 1127 times)

rangerrebew

May 6, 2017 @ 03:16 PM 51,518

Sorry Nerds, But Colonizing Other Planets Is Not A Good Plan

Adam Ozimek, Contributor

In November, Stephen Hawking warned that humans needed to colonize another planet within 1,000 years. Now, six months later, he’s saying we have to do it within 100 years in order to avoid extinction. There’s a problem with this plan: under almost no circumstances is colonizing another planet the best way to adapt to a problem on earth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeledbehavior/2017/05/06/sorry-nerds-but-colonizing-other-planets-is-not-a-good-plan/#73bd9af651e6
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:49:16 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Sorry Nerds, But Colonizing Other Planets Is Not A Good Plan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 02:23:25 pm »
May 6, 2017 @ 03:16 PM 51,518

Sorry Nerds, But Colonizing Other Planets Is Not A Good Plan

Adam Ozimek, Contributor

In November, Stephen Hawking warned that humans needed to colonize another planet within 1,000 years. Now, six months later, he’s saying we have to do it within 100 years in order to avoid extinction. There’s a problem with this plan: under almost no circumstances is colonizing another planet the best way to adapt to a problem on earth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/modeledbehavior/2017/05/06/sorry-nerds-but-colonizing-other-planets-is-not-a-good-plan/#73bd9af651e6

The article assumes but doesn't state a number of conditions needed to make its conclusion correct.  First, it assumes that only planets in our solar system should be considered.  Second, it assumes that the purpose for colonization of other planets would be a complete (or nearly so) evacuation of Earth, which no has ever advocated or even thought possible.  Third, it assumes that any terraforming would be trying to make a 100% duplicate of Earth.  Forth, it assumes that any terraforming would perforce have to involve the entire planet rather than just a delineable portion of it.

Building O'Neill-style habitats in space does seem like a more feasible idea for the near term (100-500 years), but modifying a planet to make it more amenable to human habitation is quite certainly a viable idea.  We've been doing it on Earth for thousands of years!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:58:03 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »
The article assumes but doesn't state a number of conditions needed to make its conclusion correct.  First, it assumes that only planets in our solar system should be considered.  Second, it assumes that the purpose for colonization of other planets would be a complete (or nearly so) evacuation of Earth, which no has ever advocated or even thought possible.  Third, it assumes that any terraforming would be trying to make a 100% duplicate of Earth.  Forth, it assumes that any terraforming would perforce have to involve the entire planet rather than just a delineable portion of it.

Building O'Neill-style habitats in space does seem like a more feasible idea for the near term (100-500 years), but modifying a planet to make it more amenable to human habitation as quite certainly a viable idea.  We've been doing it on Earth for thousands of years!

Seems that some always underestimate the adaptability of the most adaptable species of the face of the planet. A major factor of our adaptability is our ability to manipulate our environment or even create a small environment we can survive in.

Obviously terraforming mars is a long way off but that doesn't mean we won't or shouldn't start colonizing now. You start with contained habitats that require resupply from earth but as they grow they can begin to become self sustaining. As they continue to grow they can begin to address the problems of terraforming on a wide scale.

I expect the moon to be colonized at some point but that doesn't mean I expect it to become a second earth. I expect it to be more like a massive space station.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:54:01 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:29:16 pm »
Seems that some always underestimate the adaptability of the most adaptable species of the face of the planet. A major factor of our adaptability is our ability to manipulate our environment or even create a small environment we can survive in.

Obviously terraforming mars is a long way off but that doesn't mean we won't or shouldn't start colonizing now. You start with contained habitats that require resupply from earth but as they grow they can begin to become self sustaining. As they continue to grow they can begin to address the problems of terraforming on a wide scale.

I expect the moon to be colonized at some point but that doesn't mean I expect it to become a second earth. I expect it to be more like a massive space station.

An underground space station.......

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »
An underground space station.......

Basically yeah. A station on or under the surface of a planet is the way any colonization is going to start. I think the number I've seen tossed around as necessary for real colonization to begin is around 40,000 people.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »
Remember the 1951 sci-fi flick,  When Worlds Collide?

Only whites on the Ark.. could not do that today