Author Topic: Texas Senate passes bill to eliminate most vehicle safety inspections  (Read 8616 times)

Offline roamer_1

Or the outer belt around DC.  90 mph and cars 5 inches off your back bumper...literally . I'M sure LIE is similar.
@Oceander

Ahh, I see... Is that supposed to mean something?

Offline roamer_1

Someplace you or I will never be foolish enough to go.

That'd be right.

Offline roamer_1

Long Island Expressway.

Oh, NM... I see where you're going...

Why, jack it up another twenty miles an hour, add a rule called 'rubbin's racin' ' and we might just be fixin to have a little fun.

@Oceander
@mirraflake

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Oh, NM... I see where you're going...

Why, jack it up another twenty miles an hour, add a rule called 'rubbin's racin' ' and we might just be fixin to have a little fun.

@Oceander
@mirraflake

Get a good bump draft going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-Yl2Yr8xo
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:14:42 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline roamer_1

Get a good bump draft going.

I know, right?

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah, but people are idiots anyway, Frank. I've been in Chicago and Kansas City, and there ain't no dearth of sh*tboxes therein.

I've found that even the shittiest of $500 shit boxes in PA with a sticker are in better mechanical shape that any of the low mileage creme puffs I have had shipped in from non inspection states.

My problem with the PA inspection system is that it is revenue enhancement especially with the emissions test. I have a lot of cars so I slide on the emission test because if you are under 5K on mileage you are exempt, but if you are over it is another hit to the wallet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:10:23 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline roamer_1

I've found that even the shittiest of $500 shit boxes in PA with a sticker are in better mechanical shape that any of the low mileage creme puffs I have had shipped in from non inspection states.

I have found no difference at all. A sh*tbox is a sh*tbox, no matter where it's from. Except if it ls from out in the sticks, it's less likely to be rusty.

Offline Frank Cannon

I have found no difference at all. A sh*tbox is a sh*tbox, no matter where it's from. Except if it ls from out in the sticks, it's less likely to be rusty.

Bullshit. I bought a 72 Buick Estate from Ohio that was a daily driver that was so effed up the front springs were broken in half and the rear leaves were down to one. The GD wagon was sitting on the frame. That is total bullshit and unsafe on 10 different levels.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A few years ago I blew a brake line sitting at the drive through of the bank. I was sitting there with the truck out of gear with light pressure on the brake so I wouldn't roll forward and the pedal just dropped away. I didn't panic about it. I continued on into town to my appointment, to the parts store for new a line back and home again without brakes.

I'm an experienced driver and I love a standard transmission.
Yep. I have done something similar and the standard transmission made the difference, along with the emergency brake on the drive line. (Old truck.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

The secret to success is to quit driving expensive cars. I don't think I have ever paid more than 3k for a ride, few aboce $2500... The vast majority 2k and under. Now, I put a lot of money into em - suspension, brakes, a mighty, mighty motor and etc... But if I wreck it, all that can generally be peeled back off the wreck, and go into the next one.

Somebody wrecking me hurts, don't get me wrong, but if they have insurance, outside of the time rebuilding, I usually make money on the deal.
The only vehicle I ever plunked down more than 3K for was a motorcycle. That doesn't mean I didn't put some money into them, but they buy-in usually maxed at 2500, and I got some great rides for $500 or less.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Terrible idea. Ever buy a car from a non inspection state? They are garbage. Most people are either lazy or stupid and do not maintain their cars to even minimal safety standards. Leaking exhaust and a rust hole in the floor can kill you. Bad brakes and shitty tires can kill someone else.

This shit is road legal in OH....

I thought 'flow through ventilation' was stock with those. :silly:

Up here, vehicles generally don't rust much. No point in salting the roads, because in the dead of winter, they stay frozen. The body on a car stays intact a lot longer, too.

It's kinda funny because I knew a guy who made a living driving from here to Ohio and back, take a load of fenders, front clips, and doors down, bring engines and transmissions back. We work them to death long before they rust away in these parts.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah, that's right. as a boy in Chicago, I kept myself in walking cash collecting bottles with my wagon. There, it was only pop bottles at the time, but I made some serious coin just on them - 'Serious coin' being in the mind of a <6th grade boy... And the deal made by ol George, the local grocer, he'd give me a penny for every bottle not covered by the nickel tax, and me and him would just throw all them in the trash can behind the store... I sure thought he was dumb, paying for stuff he was throwing away...
Bless him. He knew exactly what he was doing, and it sounds like it worked real well.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Ours weren't large. Just 10 or 20 of us locals who were close friends and usually a few floaters who were known locals but not normally one of our crowd. Sometimes back in the fields, other times in a clearing in the woods or by a lake. We usually listened to rock from the 60s 70s and 80s.

I think you would have found some familiarity with us as typical rural teenagers. We knew hunting, fishing, farmwork and cars.
All part of our culture. Aside from a few comparisons about terrain, the species of fish, crops and equipment, and a few differences over which make of car was best, the basics are the same: Work hard, play hard.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Or the outer belt around DC.  90 mph and cars 5 inches off your back bumper...literally . I'M sure LIE is similar.
@Oceander
LOL! Last time I drove the 'suicide circle' as we used to call 495, I was in a 25 year old van with a little body damage, out of area plates, weathering paint, and an off-color door. It was great. I didn't have ANYONE crowding me. (The vehicle may not have looked great, but the mechanicals were perfect. I put another 100K miles on that one in the oilfield, where it runs or you just might die.)

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NJ motor vehicle inspection is for emissions ONLY.   Every two years.

I was going to say I know NJ totally changed their inspections a few years ago. Takes less than five minutes now. I think they check your emissions and maybe your lights too?

The dude even let me sit in the back seat during the entire thing. They would never allow that if they still tested the brakes.

I think cars from before 1990 are except now as well, but I'm not 100% sure about the date.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If they really wanted to get serious about road safety they'd stop giving out licenses to anyone who wants one. 99% of accidents are due to driver error imo.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If they really wanted to get serious about road safety they'd stop giving out licenses to anyone who wants one. 99% of accidents are due to driver error imo.

True enough, a driver's license is not a right.

You can be arrested for drunk driving multiple times and they'll strip you of your right to own a gun but they'll give you your driver's license back.

Oceander

@Oceander

Similar, but with some different dynamics. 

Offline roamer_1

Bless him. He knew exactly what he was doing, and it sounds like it worked real well.

That's right... Ol George was a good man.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
True enough, a driver's license is not a right.

You can be arrested for drunk driving multiple times and they'll strip you of your right to own a gun but they'll give you your driver's license back.

Not to mention all the illegals on the roads...