Author Topic: Texas Senate passes bill to eliminate most vehicle safety inspections  (Read 8620 times)

geronl

I rode back and forth to logging camp every day, about 3 hrs one way, all winter long, for several winters, in the back of the truck. Of course, full winter kit, and a Hudson Bay 5 star wool blanket, but at the time, I considered it comfy as can be... Shoot, half the time I slept the whole way, WAY better than being up in the cab.

I remember trips to Okahoma during winter where I was under covers in the back, it was comfy

Online roamer_1

OTOH....  I hope I don't get T Boned by a piece of jalopy not road worthy.

The secret to success is to quit driving expensive cars. I don't think I have ever paid more than 3k for a ride, few aboce $2500... The vast majority 2k and under. Now, I put a lot of money into em - suspension, brakes, a mighty, mighty motor and etc... But if I wreck it, all that can generally be peeled back off the wreck, and go into the next one.

Somebody wrecking me hurts, don't get me wrong, but if they have insurance, outside of the time rebuilding, I usually make money on the deal.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I dunno about TX, but Montana has had open container laws since when I was about 20 or so. My class, btw, was the last in MT to legally drink at 18...

For a while there, that open container law got pretty silly.. If you had an empty (a single empty) in the back of your pickup, you could, and were cited... I say that incredulously, and you'd understand why if you saw the bed of my truck in those days... But, what wound up happening, since folks couldn't just throw their empties in the back of the pickup, they'd leave them on the ground. Littering became a pretty serious problem along the roads, and more importantly and substantially, in the woods, and down along the river, where folks most naturally go for tailgating.

Seems like most folks were doing the responsible thing... going out in the woods to party, where they ain't going to hurt nobody... and the piles of cans in the back of the truck were the natural means of keeping the woods clean. Took quite a few years, after they lightened up, for folks to go back to what they once did by nature.

Our bottle return law turned out to be a pretty good means of preventing a fair bit of littering. Even if you do toss them out, someone will come along and pick them up. Our local church has a bottle drive every year with a chicken dinner. I have probably $40 worth of soda cans and bottles ready to go.

Online roamer_1

I remember trips to Okahoma during winter where I was under covers in the back, it was comfy

That's right.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Our insurance lobby must be stronger. If you have no valid MOT (UK's equivalent of the inspection sticker) your insurance will not pay out in case of an accident, even if your insurance is up to date. At all. Ditto for your vehicle's Road Tax.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

Terrible idea. Ever buy a car from a non inspection state? They are garbage. Most people are either lazy or stupid and do not maintain their cars to even minimal safety standards. Leaking exhaust and a rust hole in the floor can kill you. Bad brakes and shitty tires can kill someone else.

This shit is road legal in OH....

Online roamer_1

Our bottle return law turned out to be a pretty good means of preventing a fair bit of littering. Even if you do toss them out, someone will come along and pick them up. Our local church has a bottle drive every year with a chicken dinner. I have probably $40 worth of soda cans and bottles ready to go.

Yeah, that's right. as a boy in Chicago, I kept myself in walking cash collecting bottles with my wagon. There, it was only pop bottles at the time, but I made some serious coin just on them - 'Serious coin' being in the mind of a <6th grade boy... And the deal made by ol George, the local grocer, he'd give me a penny for every bottle not covered by the nickel tax, and me and him would just throw all them in the trash can behind the store... I sure thought he was dumb, paying for stuff he was throwing away...

Offline Cripplecreek

The secret to success is to quit driving expensive cars. I don't think I have ever paid more than 3k for a ride, few aboce $2500... The vast majority 2k and under. Now, I put a lot of money into em - suspension, brakes, a mighty, mighty motor and etc... But if I wreck it, all that can generally be peeled back off the wreck, and go into the next one.

Somebody wrecking me hurts, don't get me wrong, but if they have insurance, outside of the time rebuilding, I usually make money on the deal.

The only brand new car I ever bought seemed like I became the biggest brightest target on the road.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Terrible idea. Ever buy a car from a non inspection state? They are garbage. Most people are either lazy or stupid and do not maintain their cars to even minimal safety standards. Leaking exhaust and a rust hole in the floor can kill you. Bad brakes and shitty tires can kill someone else.

So You need the government to Force You to maintain your car?

Offline Cripplecreek

Yeah, that's right. as a boy in Chicago, I kept myself in walking cash collecting bottles with my wagon. There, it was only pop bottles at the time, but I made some serious coin just on them - 'Serious coin' being in the mind of a <6th grade boy... And the deal made by ol George, the local grocer, he'd give me a penny for every bottle not covered by the nickel tax, and me and him would just throw all them in the trash can behind the store... I sure thought he was dumb, paying for stuff he was throwing away...

There's an old mentally handicapped guy in the next town over from where I live who collects bottles and cans all day every day. He rides around on a riding mower pulling a trailer. He has a flashing amber light on a pole so he's visible. He does some serious miles every day. He rolled through town here a few hours ago.

Oceander

Any vehicle suffering from a serious and dangerous mechanical deficit either acquires it suddenly or it has developed over time and the driver should be aware of it.

The vast majority of automobile "accidents" are pilot error, inattention, or incapacitation.

Yeah, I really want to count on the jacka$$ in the SUV behind me having noticed that his brake pads were completely worn away.  If we could count on all our fellow drivers doing what they should do, collisions would be few and far between. 

Oceander

So You need the government to Force You to maintain your car?

Nope.  I need government to make sure the other guy didn't let his brakes get so worn out that he rear-ends me because the brakes fail.  I have seen that happen before.  In high school I let an acquaintance buy a car I had been eyeing because he really needed one and I just wanted to tinker with it. SOB ignored the brakes until one fine sunny day when they simply refused to stop the car any more.  He ended up "parking" on a phone pole because the alternative was running across a 45 mph cross road at rush hour.

Online roamer_1

The responsible thing is driving home drunk? How about drink at home

I take it you are not much for tailgating. It's a camp. Nobody is going anywhere. Hell, most of the trucks are stuck before dark even falls.

And we pay through the nose... If you've never been digging trucks out of the mud with a screaming hangover, you just can;t understand.

Online roamer_1

Yeah, I really want to count on the jacka$$ in the SUV behind me having noticed that his brake pads were completely worn away.  If we could count on all our fellow drivers doing what they should do, collisions would be few and far between.

LOL! Ahh! you're one of those. My bumper is over the top of your trunk because you drive slower than my gramma.
Don't worry. the brakes are fine.

:tongue2:

Offline Cripplecreek

I take it you are not much for tailgating. It's a camp. Nobody is going anywhere. Hell, most of the trucks are stuck before dark even falls.

And we pay through the nose... If you've never been digging trucks out of the mud with a screaming hangover, you just can;t understand.

I had a Ranger pickup with an aluminum cap and a foam mattress in the back for those nights.

Online roamer_1

I had a Ranger pickup with an aluminum cap and a foam mattress in the back for those nights.

I love tailgate parties. Ours got huge... Often a pig in the ground and live music. Not to say some don't drive home drunk... but most do not. Mostly because who would? It's a whole weekend kind of thing down on the river. I guess folks who ain't redneck don't know what that is, and why the river figures into so many country songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6nxHNrIwJA

And I'd sleep in the truck if it weren't 100 yards out in knee deep mud, but most times, in my experience, I'd fly a tarp and set a camp... Normally off a ways in the sticks...

Offline Frank Cannon

Nope.  I need government to make sure the other guy didn't let his brakes get so worn out that he rear-ends me because the brakes fail.  I have seen that happen before.  In high school I let an acquaintance buy a car I had been eyeing because he really needed one and I just wanted to tinker with it. SOB ignored the brakes until one fine sunny day when they simply refused to stop the car any more.  He ended up "parking" on a phone pole because the alternative was running across a 45 mph cross road at rush hour.

Exactly. I've run across cars that were caliper piston to rotor on front brakes because people are idiots.

Online roamer_1

Exactly. I've run across cars that were caliper piston to rotor on front brakes because people are idiots.

Yeah, but people are idiots anyway, Frank. I've been in Chicago and Kansas City, and there ain't no dearth of sh*tboxes therein.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:43:23 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Cripplecreek

I love tailgate parties. Ours got huge... Often a pig in the ground and live music. Not to say some don't drive home drunk... but most do not. Mostly because who would? It's a whole weekend kind of thing down on the river. I guess folks who ain't redneck don't know what that is, and why the river figures into so many country songs...

And I'd sleep in the truck if it weren't 100 yards out in knee deep mud, but most times, in my experience, I'd fly a tarp and set a camp... Normally off a ways in the sticks...

Ours weren't large. Just 10 or 20 of us locals who were close friends and usually a few floaters who were known locals but not normally one of our crowd. Sometimes back in the fields, other times in a clearing in the woods or by a lake. We usually listened to rock from the 60s 70s and 80s.

I think you would have found some familiarity with us as typical rural teenagers. We knew hunting, fishing, farmwork and cars.

Online roamer_1

I think you would have found some familiarity with us as typical rural teenagers. We knew hunting, fishing, farmwork and cars.

Yeah, our kind is everywhere. All you have to do is get outta the city about 10 miles and find a diner... I walk in and say, "y'all got sweet tea?" and if they say, "why, sure we do," then I know I am back with my own.

Best party I ever went to was on the MO side of the Mississippi, a ways downstream of Kansas City... We were down there fishin, not even figuring on anything... Got together with a few of the locals drinkin some.... Ran out of beer, and somebody called somebody to bring us on down sommore on the CB. Before you know it, here they all come.

Totally spontaneous, and totally awesome... Then the bars let out, and it grew by 3 times, and some of the local bands showed up... Somebody threw down a bunch of plywood on the sand, and somebody else had a big event tent to put up over it.... Somebody else went around and stole green rooms from construction sites (don't worry, they all got returned... other than they were full)... Some Cajun dude showed up and started cooking... OMG, what a fun time.

By the time the sheriff showed up, all they could do is try to control it... They figured out it wasn't going to shut down real quick. So the cops were there too, keeping general order. I don't rightly know how long it was... I sorta lost track of time... but it was days.

And the funny thing is it wasn't just young folks...  there were whole generations there... kids too during the daytime..
Probably the best shindig I have ever been to. Good, good folks.

Oceander

LOL! Ahh! you're one of those. My bumper is over the top of your trunk because you drive slower than my gramma.
Don't worry. the brakes are fine.

:tongue2:

Come visit us on the LIE and then we can discuss!

Online roamer_1

Come visit us on the LIE and then we can discuss!

What the hell is the 'LIE'?

Oceander

Long Island Expressway.

Offline mirraflake

Long Island Expressway.
Or the outer belt around DC.  90 mph and cars 5 inches off your back bumper...literally . I'M sure LIE is similar.
@Oceander

Offline Cripplecreek

Someplace you or I will never be foolish enough to go.