Author Topic: Texas Senate passes bill to eliminate most vehicle safety inspections  (Read 8618 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
texastribune.org by Julián Aguilar May 4, 2017

The Texas Senate on Thursday gave its blessing to a bill that would eliminate the state’s vehicle safety inspection requirement for most vehicles. It would still apply for commercial vehicles.

The Texas Senate on Thursday gave its blessing to a bill that would eliminate the state’s vehicle safety inspection requirement for most vehicles.

Under Senate Bill 1588 by state Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, safety inspections would still be required for commercial vehicles, and a portion of the money currently collected from annual inspections would be allocated to the Texas Mobility Fund for road repairs and construction.

“Vehicle inspections do not make our roads safer — it’s just a tax,” Huffines said during debate.

Huffines said his measure, which passed 27 to 4, would bring Texas on board with most other states in the country that have opted out of vehicle inspections. Texas is one of only 15 states that still requires the test. The requirement has been in effect since 1951, according to the bill analysis.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/04/senate-passes-bill-would-eliminate-vehicle-inspection-requirement/

geronl

only 15 states still do inspections?

Offline thackney

Most of those 35 are "No periodic statewide safety inspection requirement".  Situations still exist where Police can do inspection or required at sales.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/safety-inspection/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wow! 

Oceander

Seems to me that requiring a professional to give a cars mechanicals the once-over every year, particularly things like brakes that you can't easily see, is not such a bad idea, even if you cannot conclusively tie those inspections to a determinative reduction in collisions. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I think they only lasted for a year or 2 in Michigan when I was a kid.

Online roamer_1

Wow!

Montana's never had them, and never had emissions tests either.

Suits me fine

Online roamer_1

Seems to me that requiring a professional to give a cars mechanicals the once-over every year, particularly things like brakes that you can't easily see, is not such a bad idea, even if you cannot conclusively tie those inspections to a determinative reduction in collisions.

Yeah. It's a bad idea.
You can keep it.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:36:42 am by Cripplecreek »

Online roamer_1

But if it saves just one life....... *****rollingeyes*****

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---grumpy-old-man/n9860?snl=1

Meh. That an entire generation grew up never having rode in the back of a pickup truck is a crying shame.
**nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

Offline Cripplecreek

Meh. That an entire generation grew up never having rode in the back of a pickup truck is a crying shame.

My now liberal sister has declared that that was one of the horrifying forms of abuse we suffered as children.

I like to point out that the only time she ever got hurt riding somewhere other than in the passenger compartment of a vehicle was when SHE chose to ride on the hood of a car in the high school parking lot.

We used to ride from far southern Michigan all the way to the upper peninsula in the back of the pickup truck.

geronl

Do you remember the Cowboys Ice Bowl with "No Leon, No!"?

I actually got in the back when my dad decided to go to the beer store. I wasn't wearing a coat. By the time we  got back, my hair was an ice helmet. lol

Offline Cripplecreek

I actually got in the back when my dad decided to go to the beer store. I wasn't wearing a coat. By the time we  got back, my hair was an ice helmet. lol

In my hometown we did a lot of bumper dragging on the icy streets. With a pickup truck I could hook my elbows over the tailgate and do it standing up.

Online roamer_1

We used to ride from far southern Michigan all the way to the upper peninsula in the back of the pickup truck.

I don't think I ever rode in the front, until/unless I was driving... Well, that can't be exactly true... but it is true I spent way more time in the back than in the front.

Online roamer_1

I rode back and forth to logging camp every day, about 3 hrs one way, all winter long, for several winters, in the back of the truck. Of course, full winter kit, and a Hudson Bay 5 star wool blanket, but at the time, I considered it comfy as can be... Shoot, half the time I slept the whole way, WAY better than being up in the cab.

Online roamer_1

In my hometown we did a lot of bumper dragging on the icy streets. With a pickup truck I could hook my elbows over the tailgate and do it standing up.

It's called hookey-bobbin' out here... Great way to get around... at least, once all the chuck holes are packed in...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Any vehicle suffering from a serious and dangerous mechanical deficit either acquires it suddenly or it has developed over time and the driver should be aware of it.

The vast majority of automobile "accidents" are pilot error, inattention, or incapacitation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Montana's never had them, and never had emissions tests either.

Suits me fine
The only vehicle inspection I have ever had in North Dakota was for a custom motorcycle. No emissions inspections, and only one disabling mechanical failure, which I repaired in half an hour. Every 4 wheeled vehicle accident I have been in was driver error (the other guy's), but that made me a very defensive driver.
I dumped the bike three times over the years, once for improper braking technique for conditions, once I hung a tab on the primary cover on a ridiculously high road crown making a turn, and the other as a result of avoiding a collision with a car (the ditch looked far softer).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

The only vehicle inspection I have ever had in North Dakota was for a custom motorcycle. No emissions inspections, and only one disabling mechanical failure, which I repaired in half an hour.

I HAVE had several vehicle inspections, ordered by citation, or rather, judicial order... Usually for pipes... compliance with volume decibel laws.

Oddly enough leg pipes comply. Technically, even 2 1/2" dual exhaust, cherry bombs, dumped behind the mufflers (kicked out in front of the rear wheels) won't be 'legal', but officers don't pay that no mind... Open headers, or straight pipes will turn their head... In all cases, I was on header-flanged glass-packs with every intention of adding pipe... Just having a little fun before taking it up to the muffler shop...

The one particular time that actually involved safety was a custom scratch-built rat-rod 4x4 pickup I built. A young sheriff deputy pulled me over on a bumper height technicality, cited me for the noise db and bumper, deigned it an unsafe vehicle, and I either had to trailer it home or he would impound it. The judge I pulled upheld the deputy, and it looked like trouble. But I go shooting with another judge, who is also a performance car freak... He understands things well, and he had the other judge come out to watch me put 'Bessie' through her paces. By his explanation, and my demonstration, the judge reversed himself... As he should. That truck far exceeded anything you can get from the factory.

Every 4 wheeled vehicle accident I have been in was driver error (the other guy's), but that made me a very defensive driver.

I hear that.

(the ditch looked far softer).

I hear that too.

Wingnut

On a lawn chair with a cooler full of Coors Beer  next to you.   Man I remember when In texas if you said open carry it meant a beer can between your legs going 85 on the Stemmis Freeway and a side arm on your hip..

I could be wrong but I though TX was the last state to succumb to those Nasi bastards MADD and pass a law against Open Containers.

Offline Rivergirl

NJ motor vehicle inspection is for emissions ONLY.   Every two years.

Online roamer_1

On a lawn chair with a cooler full of Coors Beer  next to you.   Man I remember when In texas if you said open carry it meant a beer can between your legs going 85 on the Stemmis Freeway and a side arm on your hip..

I could be wrong but I though TX was the last state to succumb to those Nasi bastards MADD and pass a law against Open Containers.

I dunno about TX, but Montana has had open container laws since when I was about 20 or so. My class, btw, was the last in MT to legally drink at 18...

For a while there, that open container law got pretty silly.. If you had an empty (a single empty) in the back of your pickup, you could, and were cited... I say that incredulously, and you'd understand why if you saw the bed of my truck in those days... But, what wound up happening, since folks couldn't just throw their empties in the back of the pickup, they'd leave them on the ground. Littering became a pretty serious problem along the roads, and more importantly and substantially, in the woods, and down along the river, where folks most naturally go for tailgating.

Seems like most folks were doing the responsible thing... going out in the woods to party, where they ain't going to hurt nobody... and the piles of cans in the back of the truck were the natural means of keeping the woods clean. Took quite a few years, after they lightened up, for folks to go back to what they once did by nature.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:03:27 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Cripplecreek

Any vehicle suffering from a serious and dangerous mechanical deficit either acquires it suddenly or it has developed over time and the driver should be aware of it.

The vast majority of automobile "accidents" are pilot error, inattention, or incapacitation.

A few years ago I blew a brake line sitting at the drive through of the bank. I was sitting there with the truck out of gear with light pressure on the brake so I wouldn't roll forward and the pedal just dropped away. I didn't panic about it. I continued on into town to my appointment, to the parts store for new a line back and home again without brakes.

I'm an experienced driver and I love a standard transmission.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Kind of ambivalent on this one.

Love it when taxes and government gets less intrusive.

OTOH....  I hope I don't get T Boned by a piece of jalopy not road worthy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

geronl

Seems like most folks were doing the responsible thing... going out in the woods to party, where they ain't going to hurt nobody... and the piles of cans in the back of the truck were the natural means of keeping the woods clean. Took quite a few years, after they lightened up, for folks to go back to what they once did by nature.

The responsible thing is driving home drunk? How about drink at home