Author Topic: Texas Bill to Ban ‘Sanctuary Cities’ Heads to Governor’s Desk  (Read 952 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NBC News  by Alex Johnson 5/4/2017

Texas state lawmakers gave final approval Wednesday evening to a ban on so-called sanctuary cities, threatening to throw local law enforcement chiefs in jail if they refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities.

The measure would make Texas the first state to ban sanctuary cities under the Trump administration when it goes into effect on Sept. 1.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott quickly tweeted: "I'm getting my signing pen warmed up."

The measure would also allow law enforcement officers to ask about the immigration status of anyone they detain for any reason, and it would require local police chiefs and sheriffs to obey federal demands to hold suspects for possible deportation.

More: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-bill-ban-sanctuary-cities-heads-governor-s-desk-n754606

Wingnut

Sally  "I've been married 9 times to 4 different men" Hernandez who has always excelled in decisions making skills had this to say obout the new bill!

"Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez issued a statement on Thursday morning to again voice her disappointment in the Texas Legislature’s  so-called sanctuary cities bill as it makes its way to Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk.

“It is unfortunate that fear and misinformation enabled SB4 to pass,” Hernandez said. “It should be obvious that my implementation of a policy, meant to meet our community’s need, did not violate any law. Otherwise, the Texas Legislature wouldn’t have felt compelled to make a new one.”

Offline the_doc

"It should be obvious that my implementation of a policy, meant to meet our community’s need, did not violate any law. Otherwise, the Texas Legislature wouldn’t have felt compelled to make a new one.”

No, she has been non-compliant with federal law.  Now, the State penalty for her lawlessness is being specified for her benefit.

Online corbe

Texas governor signs law banning sanctuary cities

By Brandon Carter - 05/07/17 08:17 PM EDT 

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) signed a controversial bill into law on Sunday that bans sanctuary cities and allows police officers to ask the immigration status of every individual they detain.

"Citizens expect law enforcement officers to enforce the law, and citizens deserve law breakers to face legal consequences," Abbot said before signing the law. "Texans expect us to keep them safe, and that is exactly what we are going to do."

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/latino/332317-texas-governor-signs-law-banning-sanctuary-cities
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.