Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 91805 times)

Online kevindavis007

Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2019, 09:51:59 pm »
I don't regret dropping Direct TV.. Most of the channels they where offering is home shopping channels or obscure channel like RFD TV. 

Right now we have an  Amazon Fire TV Box with Prime, Hulu Live, Netflix and sometimes we watch either Tubi Tv or Pluto Tv.   

Right now we have Comcast as our ISP and hopefully soon we get another service in our area soon. I'm ready to drop them.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:04 pm »
It doesn't take many nights of paying for television content to only be able to surf 47 flavors of paid advertising to feel like you are getting ripped off. Give people an alternative to that, and the stampede is on. Cable providers shot themselves in the foot just in time for the race.

What killed the Cable / Satellite tv service for me was that the specialty channels (like the SyFy Channel) became just a regular channel. Right now if I want to watch good SciFi I either watch it on Prime, Hulu, or Netflix.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2019, 10:02:59 pm »
Was telling my brother and family over Christmas that when my tv bites the dust, I'm not getting a new one.  I have a big screen laptop where I can watch Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on.  The living room tv is only for local news and weather and these days I can stream those broadcasts as well. 

[...]

But I live alone and I seldom have anyone at the house.  What do I need a tv for?

Perhaps with this latest rate increase, I will now have an impetus to rid myself of Comcast altogeher.  The only reason to keep it is for the Wi-Fi, but I'm sure if I did some homework, I can find a suitable alternative that might cost less.

Find a used win7-Win10 desktop computer and plug it into your TV... Then all you do on your laptop will happen on the TV too. When I fire up the big TV it comes up with a windows 10 desktop which I control with a wireless keyboard (with a glide pad) from my easy chair.

I just bought a monster TV... Bought it broken and fixed it, so I got a screaming deal... But you can find em pretty cheap anymore, if you find em used...  The big tv is a pleasure on my eyes (I can even read the crawl on foxnews), and I have it plumbed through an old school-amp - like what used to sit under your record player or tape deck - That goes to regular house speakers so I get big sound too. I may have 300 bucks in that whole system - The TV, the amp and speakers, and the computer that runs it... And i get big screen and quadraphonic sound.

Serious. And I count it as nothing, because it is just three months of what I am saving by dumping the cable.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:04:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:40 pm »
I just use a little known website to get Openload links to what I want to watch... With a good ad-block program (Ublock Origin) I just download what shows I want to watch later on in the background.

Pm me for details if interested.

My total entertainment bill.... 0.00 + internet costs.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2019, 11:25:01 pm »
I signed up for CBS All Access yesterday, which may be the last piece of the puzzle we needed in order to drop cable. Browsed through what's available and there's some interesting old stuff, in addition to current shows. Sprung for the $9.99 no-commercials package, so we'll see how that works.  :shrug:

I think you'll like it.  Since I am use "over the air" antenna for networks it lets you stream you local CBS channel if you want.  I get a better picture and sound.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:48 am »

Find a used win7-Win10 desktop computer and plug it into your TV... Then all you do on your laptop will happen on the TV too. When I fire up the big TV it comes up with a windows 10 desktop which I control with a wireless keyboard (with a glide pad) from my easy chair.
I do that with my laptop. The great thing about that approach is you can do an "extended desktop:" keep doing what you're doing on one screen, and watch TV on the other. Just hook up an HDMI cable and you're set to go.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:03 am »
I do that with my laptop. The great thing about that approach is you can do an "extended desktop:" keep doing what you're doing on one screen, and watch TV on the other. Just hook up an HDMI cable and you're set to go.

My main office station sorta works that way... I have three monitors on my desk and I pump 'TV' output to the left hand one most of the time...

Online berdie

« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2019, 12:21:58 am »
Well, dang it..I haven't seen how much my Dish bill is going up.  But they are kind od goofy for doing it.

I have lots of good movies that I haven't seen recorded...I'll loose them.

And even more importantly...I'll loose the DVR.

Input is appreciated.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2019, 01:16:52 am »
Well, dang it..I haven't seen how much my Dish bill is going up.  But they are kind od goofy for doing it.

Input is appreciated.

Hi @berdie
I would suggest developing alternate sources without dumping dish for a while...
Roku is a good interim choice - a decent roku is around 75 dollars (though you can go cheaper) and will plug into any modern tv right alongside of your dish... And once you own a roku, there is tons of content on it for free - no continuing subscriptions.

Likewise as you go, start exploring what you can do through your computer. Netflix and Amazon prime are decent and popular, and there is a wealth of sites offering alternatives besides them.

It is a different way - It isn't just a presented list you get to thumb through - you have to hunt for what you want, and when you find stuff that suits you, bookmark it so you can return...

I don't know what to tell you about your DVR. Sooner or later, you've got to break the chains. But I think you will find you won't miss much. Most anything you want is already online for free, once you can wander about and find it.

I long ago started saving movies down to hard drives, and trading with others doing the same, but I hardly use them anymore, and have deleted most of them... It's just too easy to find them online.  :shrug:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:18:12 am by roamer_1 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2019, 01:38:41 am »

Input is appreciated.

While not the most easy/elegant solution, one approach is a "capture card".   I've used them for many years in homebrew DVRs, but the thing lately that might help you is for people who want to record their video games.  The idea is that you play the game (movie) with a device between your console (DVR) and your TV and it records.  It's not going to be fast, and I don't know if you would need to be paying attention to stop recording at the end (probably), but it would probably work (I've never used them this way).  If you do a quick search on "HDMI capture card" or "composite capture card" or whatever your DVR uses, you should be able to determine pretty quickly if this is a route worth your effort.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2019, 01:47:33 am »

Input is appreciated.

@berdie

https://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/tv/best-dvrs/directv-genie-review/

Here is a relatively inexpensive alternative. I have never used it,but the review is good.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2019, 04:50:10 pm »
@roamer_1 @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer @sneakypete

Thank you all for the suggestions.  Since I'm about as tech savvy as my dog...I'm going to have to research all this.  To see what you mean (lol) and what might work in my old house filled with old stuff. :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2019, 09:28:54 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  Since I'm about as tech savvy as my dog...I'm going to have to research all this.  To see what you mean (lol) and what might work in my old house filled with old stuff. :laugh:

LOL!
It ain't all that hard @berdie ... Surely you, or a friend of yours, has a kid or grandkid that is tech savvy... Most kids these days, and even many in my generation (I am 56) are cutting the cord. Pick one such, and show them this thread, expressing your interest in doing the same. It will make for great bonding time :)

Like I said though... ease into it. It doesn't cost much for a roku, or to start finding out what you can do from a computer... Ease in and get used to it. When you have understanding and confidence, then cut the cord.

I spent about a year paying for both ways - Keeping my CableTV, and experimenting otherwise. By the time I finally did it, I didn't hardly miss CableTV at all. And the money I am saving (roughly 100 bucks a month) paid for my initial setup within 3 months, and has paid for two more such in the 3 years since (I have continually upgraded the main system [media server] in the living room, with the older systems moving downstream into my bedroom and guest bedroom). All of it bought used, waiting for screaming deals as they come.

But the point being: Take your time. The move to alternatives need not cost much at all... And as you grow comfortable with those alternatives, shaking loose of BigTV will be easy - You will wonder why you hadn't done so years before.

Online berdie

« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2019, 11:26:31 pm »
I think the best advice you have given @roamer_1 is to take my time.  Heck, I'm not gonna go broke during this Dish rate hike.  I just hate searching around in areas I don't know anything about. happy77

Because of that...I'll probably just go back on antenna...or do nothing. I know how I am.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:58 pm »
I think the best advice you have given @roamer_1 is to take my time.  Heck, I'm not gonna go broke during this Dish rate hike.  I just hate searching around in areas I don't know anything about. happy77

Because of that...I'll probably just go back on antenna...or do nothing. I know how I am.

:beer:

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2019, 01:35:21 pm »

AT&T, Spectrum, Comcast, Dish, & Verizon Lost 1.1 Million Subscribers in The 4th Quarter of 2018
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-spectrum-comcast-dish-verizon-lost-1-1-million-subscribers-in-the-4th-quarter-of-2018/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2019, 01:44:52 pm »
Saw this and thought I might use them.  You don't need to subscribe to Sling to take advantage of the install.  I'm sure I could do it myself but I don't want to mess with it.

We Tested Sling TV’s Antenna Installation Service: Here Is How It Went
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/we-tested-sling-tvs-antenna-installation-service-here-is-how-it-went/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2019, 05:45:08 pm »
Thanks @The Ghost   I have Sling.  Received an email sometime back indicating that the company was working on providing local channels.  I guess this antenna installation is it. 

I've thought about going back to an antenna, but I live in a valley and in the old days, getting local stations with an antenna was a hit or miss proposition here.  I've been told that today's antennas are better.  Sure hope so. 

One question:  I still have cable.   If I decided to buy an antenna and have Sling do the install, would I have to terminate cable first?

Online Wingnut

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2019, 05:57:45 pm »
Well, It is my understanding this antenna will hook right into pre wired cable platform (if you have it like most new homes since the late 90's) I know in my house they would drop the CoAx cable down from my attic into my media control panel in the utility room connect it to the splitter that goes to each room.

So I don't believe you would want to have both. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2019, 06:21:51 pm »
Well, I bought my house in 1989.  The house had some cable wiring on one side of the living room, but I decided to put my tv on another wall.  The old connection was disabled and a new one was installed at the new location for the tv.  I also have Wi-Fi installed at the same spot by the tv.  If I get rid of cable, I will have to also find a new source for Wi-Fi. 

You can tell I'm technologically challenged.  LOL

Anyway, thank you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2019, 06:26:49 pm »
Thanks @The Ghost   I have Sling.  Received an email sometime back indicating that the company was working on providing local channels.  I guess this antenna installation is it. 

I've thought about going back to an antenna, but I live in a valley and in the old days, getting local stations with an antenna was a hit or miss proposition here.  I've been told that today's antennas are better.  Sure hope so. 

One question:  I still have cable.   If I decided to buy an antenna and have Sling do the install, would I have to terminate cable first?

Hey @Applewood
As a general rule, no, you would not have to terminate cable.

If you have a flatscreen tv, you most certainly can receive from a digital antenna.
On the back of your tv, look for 'type F' connectors - this is the sort of port that your cable plugs into... There should be two - One will say cable (and will currently have your cable plugged in) and the other will say either Ant (or the like) or VHF/UHF. That is the port the antenna will plug into. The two are usually situated close together, side by side.

Of course that is a simple connection for one tv. If you have multiple tvs to connect, you'll need to get a media guy there to figure out your system, and how to incorporate the antenna.

EDIT:
To switch between the cable and the antenna is accomplished with the 'input' button on your remote... The same way you migt switch between your cable and a game station, or anything else that might be hooked up via the HDMI slots. One of the options will be again, ANT or UHF/VHF
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:31:23 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Wingnut

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:25 pm »
Well, I bought my house in 1989.  The house had some cable wiring on one side of the living room, but I decided to put my tv on another wall.  The old connection was disabled and a new one was installed at the new location for the tv.  I also have Wi-Fi installed at the same spot by the tv.  If I get rid of cable, I will have to also find a new source for Wi-Fi. 

You can tell I'm technologically challenged.  LOL

Anyway, thank you.

Okay I think I see where you are coming from.  Check with your cable company to see what they offer for Internet/WiFi only plans.  That cable only goes to your Modem/router box.   Also check out other Internet providers for your area to compare rates.   I use CenturyLink. I have a no hassel flat rate plan with them.  The flat price is $55 per month all fees and taxes included.  That price is for  50mbps

CenturyLink Prices,
Plans, and Packages Price   /Download Speed
Price for Life 20    $45/mo.   /Up to 20 Mbps
Price for Life 80    $55/mo.   /Up to 40–80 Mbps
Price for Life 100 $65/mo.   /Up to 100–140 Mbps
Price for Life 1 Gig $65/mo. /Up to 1 Gig

Some of their plans reqire fiber optic to the house.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:34:45 pm by The Ghost »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:27 pm »
Just signed up for basic HULU. They now carry A&E and the wife misses that channel since we dropped cable 4 years ago.

Basic plan is $7.99/month, but when I signed up they popped up this message.

The price of Hulu will decrease to $5.99/month. You'll see this on your next billing date after 2/26/19.

My free trial ends March 17 (2019). By then we should be able to decide if we want to keep it. If the price stays at $5.99, WTH.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Wingnut

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »
I use Roku.  Pay for Netflix, Hulu and CBS all access.  NBC is free but has a 7 day delay for new releases but it has a treasure trove of old shows with limited commercials. So my net expense per month is now less than $25 bucks.  My Direct TV bill was well over $110.   And for what? 500 channels that I never watched.  Screw em.  If you need a Sports fix get the $25 Sling package that included ESPN.

After about a month after I cut the cord  my Romote control surfing withdrawal ended.  I have never looked back.

If Direct TV and Dish were smart (and they are not)  They would offer a one rate flat fee plan that would let you pick your channels alacart. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:58 pm »
I use Roku.  Pay for Netflix, Hulu and CBS all access.  NBC is free but has a 7 day delay for new releases but it has a treasure trove of old shows with limited commercials. So my net expense per month is now less than $25 bucks.  My Direct TV bill was well over $110.   And for what? 500 channels that I never watched.  Screw em.  If you need a Sports fix get the $25 Sling package that included ESPN.

After about a month after I cut the cord  my Romote control surfing withdrawal ended.  I have never looked back.

If Direct TV and Dish were smart (and they are not)  They would offer a one rate flat fee plan that would let you pick your channels alacart.

We have Prime and Netflix. We use Roku. Netflix is the premium plan--4 screens. Besides me and the wife, both our kids and my mom have access to my Netflix. And the grandkids can access it on their tablets if they get permission, content is parental controlled for them in person. So 4 households for one small phenomenal fee.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley