Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 93058 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2018, 01:19:42 pm »
I bought myself a little portable digital television a couple months ago. Where I live in a valley, you can't pick up doodoo for TV signals, but it turns out the hilltops around here, at least a couple of them, are state forests, and the reception up there is far better. So, when I really want to watch a TV show on one of the networks that I can't get online (which is pretty rare), I just take my TV up to the top of the hill and watch it.

Other than my Internet connection, I'm proud to say I don't have to pay a dime for television without a shred of piracy.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2018, 07:15:32 pm »
Thanks for the link, @kevindavis   I wonder about the 3.1% who listed Oher as their reason for cord cutting. 

@Applewood , I have the money... I can afford a decent cable package - somewhat better than basic...

While money is an important part of why I quit - The went encrypted here to fight those who steal cable... The resulting required hardware (a rented box for each tv) is what finally broke the camel's back...

But indeed, why I will not go back is content.
It's crap... It's nearly ALL crap. And I cannot support the little good I find without supporting the mountain of crap. And as it turns out, I don't need any of it.

I have Netflix, but by far and away, I watch youtube. Farmer stuff. Homesteader stuff... Bushcrafting and survival stuff. Real people doing real stuff.

I'm getting to the point where I hardly watch tv anymore.  I have a big screen laptop that works fine,  When this tv set dies, I might just not get a replacement.  I don't have family and I seldom have company over.  Why do I have to have an actual tv?

I still have TVs. In fact, I just bought a 55" monster tv for my living room... But I bought it used for 150 bucks. The one in my guest bedroom was free, because it was broken, and I fixed it.

I sure as heck won't be buying a new one.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2018, 10:25:54 pm »
@Applewood , I have the money... I can afford a decent cable package - somewhat better than basic...

While money is an important part of why I quit - The went encrypted here to fight those who steal cable... The resulting required hardware (a rented box for each tv) is what finally broke the camel's back...

But indeed, why I will not go back is content.
It's crap... It's nearly ALL crap. And I cannot support the little good I find without supporting the mountain of crap. And as it turns out, I don't need any of it.

I have Netflix, but by far and away, I watch youtube. Farmer stuff. Homesteader stuff... Bushcrafting and survival stuff. Real people doing real stuff.

I still have TVs. In fact, I just bought a 55" monster tv for my living room... But I bought it used for 150 bucks. The one in my guest bedroom was free, because it was broken, and I fixed it.

I sure as heck won't be buying a new one.

I run everything through one of these:

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/

I rent a cable card from the ISP for $5/mon which goes in it and decrypts the content.  The only thing you can't do is the on demand stuff.  The FCC requires the companies to provide cards so they can't force you to use their set top boxes.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2018, 01:08:20 am »
I run everything through one of these:

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/

I rent a cable card from the ISP for $5/mon which goes in it and decrypts the content.  The only thing you can't do is the on demand stuff.  The FCC requires the companies to provide cards so they can't force you to use their set top boxes.

Well, ain't that something... I might just check into that, though really, I don't need any of it anymore (cable content), so mebbe a day late and a dollar short...  :shrug: :beer:

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2018, 10:51:52 pm »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
I suppose Hulu will see an increase in subscribers now that Netflix is becoming the Obama indoctrination network.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:59 pm »
I suppose Hulu will see an increase in subscribers now that Netflix is becoming the Obama indoctrination network.

It does not both one iota that Netflix has an Obama show or partnership.

However, if they start pushing an agenda, then that will matter.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »
I signed up for CBS All Access yesterday, which may be the last piece of the puzzle we needed in order to drop cable. Browsed through what's available and there's some interesting old stuff, in addition to current shows. Sprung for the $9.99 no-commercials package, so we'll see how that works.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2018, 06:25:55 pm »
It does not both one iota that Netflix has an Obama show or partnership.

However, if they start pushing an agenda, then that will matter.

You better believe this programming will be pushing an agenda.  Oh, it will start with Obama/Soros programming of maybe a handful of shows.  But before long, anything from, say, the 1950s, which promotes old fashioned values and good clean fun wil be purged in favor of new, kill whitey, gun confiscation, indoctrinate the kiddies, social justice themed crap. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2018, 06:44:52 pm »
You better believe this programming will be pushing an agenda.  Oh, it will start with Obama/Soros programming of maybe a handful of shows.  But before long, anything from, say, the 1950s, which promotes old fashioned values and good clean fun wil be purged in favor of new, kill whitey, gun confiscation, indoctrinate the kiddies, social justice themed crap.
It seems like they can't put a show on without loading it with homosexuals. Maybe that's the normal state of affairs in media circles and in DC (Which I understand has the highest concentration of those folks in the country), but that doesn't sell in the hinterlands, it is at best endured by many. I just turn that sh*t off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2018, 06:50:35 pm »

They already do. At least Stranger Things 2 did. But then again, I expect that. I generally just watch the network TV and movies, and I already know that stuff pushes an agenda.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:24 pm »

Cord-Cutting Keeps Churning: U.S. Pay-TV Cancelers to Hit 33 Million in 2018 (Study)
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cord-cutting-2018-estimates-33-million-us-study-1202881488/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2019, 08:06:42 am »
Comcast, Dish, AT&T to Raise TV Prices to Counter Cord-Cutting

Giants including Comcast Corp., Dish Network Corp. and AT&T Inc.’s DirecTV plan to raise rates again in the new year, a move that could boost revenue but risks alienating subscribers who have been ditching their traditional TV subscriptions in record numbers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-04/comcast-at-t-raise-prices-to-counter-cord-cutting-higher-costs

Sure.  Let's counter the mass exodus of customers by alienating more customers with a rate increase.  That'll work.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2019, 05:17:41 pm »
Sure.  Let's counter the mass exodus of customers by alienating more customers with a rate increase.  That'll work.   *****rollingeyes*****

Death rattle.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2019, 05:29:29 pm »
Death rattle.
Heck, it's not as if these cord-cutters are migrating to Netflix or other platforms: they're watching less video content overall.

Entertainment programming is down 16% in one year alone. The only exception? Live sports. The NFL is back up now that Kaepernick is safely out of the way. The NHL's Winter Classic was up 20% this year.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/nfl-tv-ratings-are-up-broadcast-networks-bleed-viewers-1162096

So... expect the major broadcasters to push more and more of their marquee sports broadcasts solely to cable, since they can maintain those exclusive rights, shut out competitors and continue propping up their subscriptions.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2019, 06:05:07 pm »
Heck, it's not as if these cord-cutters are migrating to Netflix or other platforms: they're watching less video content overall.

Entertainment programming is down 16% in one year alone. The only exception? Live sports. The NFL is back up now that Kaepernick is safely out of the way. The NHL's Winter Classic was up 20% this year.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/nfl-tv-ratings-are-up-broadcast-networks-bleed-viewers-1162096

So... expect the major broadcasters to push more and more of their marquee sports broadcasts solely to cable, since they can maintain those exclusive rights, shut out competitors and continue propping up their subscriptions.

Oh, I don't know... My TV is still on all day long... And if I leave the office or the living room, I can cast what I am watching to a tablet or even my phone... I even stream radio anymore, for pete's sake... We had a major cable disruption up here, and for a day I was left with nothing but the movies in my local on-LAN library. I have since purchased a couple radios - It is crazy to be that reliant upon a single source...

The point being, I do not watch less content. That content is more available to me than CableTV can even imagine. But the difference is, that content is wholly a la carte, wholly commercial-free, and precisely designed for me personally... The only money they can make off of that is the payment I make for their hardware to provide the networking.

Like with music and movies, TV is finding out their content is not worth much, and is made worthless by consistently shrill liberal indoctrination and endless commercials. They are trying to save it, but the money train is over. Folks have other choices, and they are taking that decision in droves.

Sports ain't gonna save em.

• Technical
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2019, 06:08:17 pm »
I’m watching more and more youtube.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:02 pm »
I’m watching more and more youtube.

I mostly watch Youtube. I have netflix too... But only because the cost is incidental - My greater family is all on one account, so netflix is costing me about 60 bucks a year.

ArconaiTV is weird for series... each series is in a constant stream, so you can't control which episode you use... and stopping and picking it up later is not possible... Binging is the only way... but it has some movies, and live streaming cable channels... and that is where I get streaming from FoxNews.

ROKU is the other major source... I will eventually spend the money to have  roku on all three of my TVs. For now, it is just in the living room... but it has a wide selection without any subscription, and I am considering paying subscriptions so that I can pick up NASCAR again this year, which is the only thing from TV that I mildly miss.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2019, 08:05:22 pm »
Oh, I don't know... My TV is still on all day long... And if I leave the office or the living room, I can cast what I am watching to a tablet or even my phone... I even stream radio anymore, for pete's sake... We had a major cable disruption up here, and for a day I was left with nothing but the movies in my local on-LAN library. I have since purchased a couple radios - It is crazy to be that reliant upon a single source...

The point being, I do not watch less content. That content is more available to me than CableTV can even imagine. But the difference is, that content is wholly a la carte, wholly commercial-free, and precisely designed for me personally... The only money they can make off of that is the payment I make for their hardware to provide the networking.

Like with music and movies, TV is finding out their content is not worth much, and is made worthless by consistently shrill liberal indoctrination and endless commercials. They are trying to save it, but the money train is over. Folks have other choices, and they are taking that decision in droves.

Sports ain't gonna save em.
It doesn't take many nights of paying for television content to only be able to surf 47 flavors of paid advertising to feel like you are getting ripped off. Give people an alternative to that, and the stampede is on. Cable providers shot themselves in the foot just in time for the race.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2019, 08:20:20 pm »
It doesn't take many nights of paying for television content to only be able to surf 47 flavors of paid advertising to feel like you are getting ripped off. Give people an alternative to that, and the stampede is on. Cable providers shot themselves in the foot just in time for the race.

That's right... I was over at a friend's place the other day, and the TV was on in the background, and it became a distraction to me - Seems to me that TV had just about the same amount of minutes dedicated to commercials as they did the actual show... It was a consternation. I can't believe I put up with that for all those years... and paid for the 'privilege'.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2019, 08:50:26 pm »
That's right... I was over at a friend's place the other day, and the TV was on in the background, and it became a distraction to me - Seems to me that TV had just about the same amount of minutes dedicated to commercials as they did the actual show... It was a consternation. I can't believe I put up with that for all those years... and paid for the 'privilege'.  *****rollingeyes*****
It is the same content over and over, too. They have run out of shows, some of which I simply quit watching because of the re-runs, which outnumber new content. But from about 3 AM to 5:30-6 ish, most channels are paid advertising in half hour blocks. Hype, hype-ish hand gestures, extolling the alleged virtues of the latest one egg fry pan or whatever, just wasn't what I was paying for, and the double dip (the 'providers' getting paid by the viewers and the salesmen) is irritating as all get-out when the content is all commercial and no entertainment.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2019, 09:02:18 pm »
I cut the "cable" tv several years ago. When the wife and I moved into this place. I was pulling internet over here with a wifi extender. Then my son went to Centurylink and we "moved' our Cableone internet over here. It was still in my name so they did it for free. Added Amazon Prime and Netflix. But I mostly watch Youtube. Or read on a tablet. Thinking about switching to Centurylink. The DIL works for them and may be able to get us a "family" deal. Paying $55 for Cableone now. But they have a data cap. I think I can get the other for less with no cap.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2019, 09:12:00 pm »
It is the same content over and over, too. They have run out of shows, some of which I simply quit watching because of the re-runs, which outnumber new content. But from about 3 AM to 5:30-6 ish, most channels are paid advertising in half hour blocks. Hype, hype-ish hand gestures, extolling the alleged virtues of the latest one egg fry pan or whatever, just wasn't what I was paying for, and the double dip (the 'providers' getting paid by the viewers and the salesmen) is irritating as all get-out when the content is all commercial and no entertainment.

YEP. Now I have *NO* commercials... and watch what I want... which means supporting what I want too - As a Christian, and as a Conservative, cableTV forced me to contribute in some way toward things I don't approve of. Even the few channels I did watch had things on them I didn't like at all - But I have to support MTV to get History Channel... No more.

And the convenience of net-based is remarkable - Especially for what you are doing now... Even when you are far from home, you can carry a portable roku, or just use your laptop, and get at all your stuff even as if you were sitting in your living room instead of miles and miles away.

There is no way that cableTV can compete with a la carte whenever and wherever you want it.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:16 pm »
Was telling my brother and family over Christmas that when my tv bites the dust, I'm not getting a new one.  I have a big screen laptop where I can watch Sling, Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on.  The living room tv is only for local news and weather and these days I can stream those broadcasts as well.  I don't watch the alphabet network tv shows  except for Law & Order SVU and Sling has it as part of NBC on Demand, so I can watch on my laptop. The other alphabet network shows are totally uninteresting and I only have basic cable for the tv, so no cable news and entertainment on tv.  Whatever I want to see, I can watch it on my laptop. 

Now my brother  and his family have one of those big screen tvs with surround sound, a top of the line Comcast cable package with hundreds of channels (HD) and a slew of sports channels.  They also entertain, including watching Penguins hockey with other fans.  That's great for them.  But I live alone and I seldom have anyone at the house.  What do I need a tv for?

Perhaps with this latest rate increase, I will now have an impetus to rid myself of Comcast altogeher.  The only reason to keep it is for the Wi-Fi, but I'm sure if I did some homework, I can find a suitable alternative that might cost less.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2019, 09:39:16 pm »
I have a "made in the USA" RCA HD antenna I bought for 43 dollars. Which is appropriate because it pulls in 43 channels for free. The closest station to my house is 54 miles away and the antenna is only rated to have a range of 45 miles,so I have nothing to complain about.

I also have a ROKU player that allegedly offers me a choice of roughly 4,000 streaming channels,most of which you wouldn't want to watch if someone pointed a gun at you,but that still leaves a HELL of a lot of channels you do want to watch. Like war movies? There are whole channels dedicated to playing nothing but war movies. Like skiing? There are whole channels dedicated to skiing.

There are no monthly fees attached to either,but there is a monthly fee from Netflix,HBO,etc,etc,etc if you want to watch their premium channels.

I also like the fact that streaming tv is not affected by rain storms or clouds.

I still get HBO,Showtime,Amazon Prime,and a few other premium sources,but I am not paying as much as I was with a sat dish.

I also bought a Channel Master tuner to use  so that I still have TIVO and can record shows to watch later. I have a 2TB harddrive plugged into the tuner,so I can record a BUNCH of shows before I run out of storage room.

The TIVO on the Channel Master allows me to come in and turn everything on,and then rewind to start a program already running on the channel it was left on while turned off. That can come in very handy. It also allows me to fast forward,do a program or channel search,control closed captions,etc,etc,etc.

I don't see me ever going back to satellite tv.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!