Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 91821 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Cordcutting Thread
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:10:10 pm »
Cut the cord? No longer have Cable or Satellite TV? Well, I figure I start a thread where people can share tips or advice on how to cut the cord.

Me, I have Amazon Fire TV (might get a chromecast later on), Sling TV, Amazon Prime, Hulu (Free with Bing search rewards), and Netflix.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:28:52 am by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Wingnut

Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:23:06 pm »
Book marked

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:00 pm »
It rarely saves you that much if you bundle. I haven't watched a network TV show in probably 20 years. Just football. I tried to follow The Dome and Grimm on Amazon Prime but lost interest after a while.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:59 pm »
Shouldn't this be the Cordcuttering thread?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:03:31 pm »
After years with comcast I'm giving Dish network a try and a try is likely all its going to be. I really like having access to all the HD channels (The Expanse is freakin spectacular in 64 inches of HD) but it really pisses me off to have to pay extra to watch the Detroit Tigers play.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:52 pm »
Books, read books, lot's of books. All I have is antenna and having been away from watching TV for so long I really don't like it any more. Too much to do and books are more convenient. I'm a fast reader so the information transfer is much slower listening or watching than reading.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ALurker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
It's been a two years since we disconnected DirecTV.  We've got an antenna for OTA broadcasts, conditions permitting (60-80 mi).

We subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, but the Rokus are as often used on free channels like XTV, FilmOn, or just our local Plex Media Server, which has grown to a few TB of Movies and TV.  Plex is the fallback when there's nothing on (or tuning in) OTA and the internet is slow.

There are also various Plex plugins. Most are for adding various streaming channels. But one (SS Plex) is useful for downloading content  in the background, to watch later without any buffering issues.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:30 pm »
"Cuttering"?   :huh?:

Responding to bookmark. I'll also give my bona fides: although wife and I have a full cable package from AT&T Uverse, we also pay for Hulu, Netflix streaming, and Amazon Prime, and watch them regularly.  I also set up a Plex server to handle my recorded media (mpeg2 and mp4 mostly) and have played a little with Plex plugins for streaming, although to be honest I wasn't too satisfied with it.

Interested in learning what others have done or tried...
Let it burn.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:52 pm »
"Cuttering"?   :huh?:

Don't do it....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:10:35 am »
I have a computer hooked directly to my TV, and find anything at all that I might want to watch...

BUT, For folks that want a more ordered presentation, I can recommend Roku. For somewhere between 30 and 100 bucks or so - a one time purchase of their controller, It allows painless access to all of the subscription systems (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Amazon, etc,) as well as a many channels of free programming, especially if you have kids (lots of kid stuff is free).

The nice thing is, if you decide to try Amazon for instance, rather than buying their gear, only to find you don't like it, the very same subscription is available through Roku without having to buy any other gear.

The bad part is, you'd need a box for every TV, or move the box or stick between TVs...

That's why I stay foot loose and fancy free. I can easily find used computers capable of running a TV, and a cordless KB/glide pad costs about 30 bucks... For my 3 tvs, I am happy to buy the pooters rather than invest in Roku boxen.

YMMV
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:12:30 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:48 am »
Ping to go back to this thread.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
The phone companies did NOT go out of business when long distance was an extra charge, or Caller ID was standard equipment.

So, IMO, the cable and FIOS companies can cut their customers' bills IN HALF and STILL make a fortune.

..same concept as federal tax rates lowered, bringing more taxpayers to the pool.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:26:54 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:35:45 am »
BTW, for those using a computer to run their TV:

An RDP or VNC server running on that computer makes it simple to access from a laptop, notebook, tablet, or phone.

I normally have a laptop nearby, and while 90% of the time, I can operate the TV using the cordless keyboard (connected to the TV's computer) from my chair, sometimes I will need to read something on the TV that is too far away to see.. A movie synopsis as an instance... It is a simple thing to get on the laptop, fire up TightVNC's client (Tight is a free and open source VNC server/client system), log into the TV machine's VNC server, and presto, the desktop of the TV is on my laptop. I can read it, and do any operations I might want to right from the laptop's monitor, keyboard, and mouse, log back off, and enjoy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:45:49 am »
BTW, for those using a computer to run their TV:

An RDP or VNC server running on that computer makes it simple to access from a laptop, notebook, tablet, or phone.

I normally have a laptop nearby, and while 90% of the time, I can operate the TV using the cordless keyboard (connected to the TV's computer) from my chair, sometimes I will need to read something on the TV that is too far away to see.. A movie synopsis as an instance... It is a simple thing to get on the laptop, fire up TightVNC's client (Tight is a free and open source VNC server/client system), log into the TV machine's VNC server, and presto, the desktop of the TV is on my laptop. I can read it, and do any operations I might want to right from the laptop's monitor, keyboard, and mouse, log back off, and enjoy.

Sounds cool.  I wish I knew what it meant.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:47 am »
Sounds cool.  I wish I knew what it meant.

LOL! in simple terms... You can see the desktop of another computer on the desktop of the computer you are operating on. You can run that remote computer using the computer you are operating on.

Sorry if I geeked out there...

As it regards operating the TV, it means I can operate the TV through the computer connected to it, using the laptop by my chair == I don't have to get up and go over there.

@Sanguine
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:56:44 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 01:05:11 am »
LOL! in simple terms... You can see the desktop of another computer on the desktop of the computer you are operating on. You can run that remote computer using the computer you are operating on.

Sorry if I geeked out there...

As it regards operating the TV, it means I can operate the TV through the computer connected to it, using the laptop by my chair == I don't have to get up and go over there.

@Sanguine

Ok, now I understand!

Thanks.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 01:41:46 am »
Surprised VNC wouldn't be too slow to use to watch tv, it's always been significantly slower than RDP when I've used it. It has it's uses.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 01:48:35 am »
I cut the cord over 10 years ago and have never looked back.  I got a Roku  then tried Netflix and could never find a movie that I really wanted to see.  I'd like to hear some experiences with Sling Tv....I'm considering it.

My poor dear 87 yr old mom is on Suddenlink cable.  A few days ago she got a notice that she'd need to get a new box for each of her 3 TV's.  I call them and they say....we'll let you have 2 boxes for 2 years for free, then it will cost $3.99 a month each after that.  The third box will cost $3.99 a month from the get go.  Then they say....well if you go down to the local Suddenlink office they'll probably give you the 3rd box for free.  So lucky me....I drive to Suddenlink and stand in line for 1 hour and finally get to talk to someone.  They say...well we won't give you the 3rd box for free tough luck...lol.  Then tell me that they need the old 7 yr old boxes (3) or she'll be charged $40 each for them.  So go back to dear old mom's and search and come up with 2 old boxes that haven't been on a tv in over 5 years.....then go back to Suddenlink and stand in line for another hour to return them.  I tell them she only has 2 to return...  Supposedly they won't charge her for the 3rd....but I still have to check on that.  I can't imagine why anyone stays on cable.  The Suddenlink lady said they are losing tv customers but are doing a booming business on the internet side.  I despise Suddenlink............

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 02:02:39 am »
I cut the cord over 10 years ago and have never looked back.  I got a Roku  then tried Netflix and could never find a movie that I really wanted to see.  I'd like to hear some experiences with Sling Tv....I'm considering it.

My poor dear 87 yr old mom is on Suddenlink cable.  A few days ago she got a notice that she'd need to get a new box for each of her 3 TV's.  I call them and they say....we'll let you have 2 boxes for 2 years for free, then it will cost $3.99 a month each after that.  The third box will cost $3.99 a month from the get go.  Then they say....well if you go down to the local Suddenlink office they'll probably give you the 3rd box for free.  So lucky me....I drive to Suddenlink and stand in line for 1 hour and finally get to talk to someone.  They say...well we won't give you the 3rd box for free tough luck...lol.  Then tell me that they need the old 7 yr old boxes (3) or she'll be charged $40 each for them.  So go back to dear old mom's and search and come up with 2 old boxes that haven't been on a tv in over 5 years.....then go back to Suddenlink and stand in line for another hour to return them.  I tell them she only has 2 to return...  Supposedly they won't charge her for the 3rd....but I still have to check on that.  I can't imagine why anyone stays on cable.  The Suddenlink lady said they are losing tv customers but are doing a booming business on the internet side.  I despise Suddenlink............

Good to know, as I was considering Suddenlink as an alternative to Uverse...
Let it burn.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 02:10:04 am »
Surprised VNC wouldn't be too slow to use to watch tv, it's always been significantly slower than RDP when I've used it. It has it's uses.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Nah, I don't watch via VNC - Too slow for that... and so is RDP, btw. at least on my LAN.

Like I said, normally I operate the TV with a wireless KB/Glidepad.
Otherwise, I use VNC to operate the TV, and see small print on it, as it is sometimes too far away to read if the font isn't rigged to enlarge...  Reading a movie synopsis as an example... I'll do what I need to, logoff, and watch the show normally on the TV. If I wanted to actually watch something on the laptop, I'd stream it directly.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 02:16:27 am »
Bookmarking.

My contract with Verizon is up in July. I would love to save money.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 02:21:45 am »
Bookmarking.

I am saving seventy bucks a month, every month... for one step up from basic cable. Well worth doing. I paid for the gear to run my TV (the computer, wireless keyboard/glidepad, and wireless networking) inside of the first two months... Two months later, the gear for the Master bedroom TV, and two months after that, the gear for the guest bedroom TV... Ever since then it has been *FREE*

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 02:29:55 am »
A few days ago she got a notice that she'd need to get a new box for each of her 3 TV's. 

That was the straw that broke it for me... eight bucks a piece for 3 boxes, roughly 30 bucks a month increase, jacking up my bill by about 25% in one whack, and boosting it over it's value line, which it was already teetering upon in my mind.
NUFF. No damn more. Period.

Why the hell am I paying these folks for 250 channels, when I can never find anything to watch? Especially when 30% of whatever I don't particularly care to watch is commercials?

I would never go back to that.

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:56 am »
Bookmarking.

I'd like to cut the cord... now to convince the wife...

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:42 am »
There are a slew of cord cutting articles in the new lately:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cord+cutting&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS729US729&oq=cord+cutting&aqs=chrome..69i57.2182j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=cord+cutting&safe=off&tbm=nws

Much of your paycheck goes to cable TV (way too much) and much of that money goes straight to the Democrat Party.

Something to keep in mind.