Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 93025 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2020, 01:43:58 pm »
@sneakypete I’m such a Luddite I wouldn’t know how to set it up.

I wish there was a teenager in my family. One more time I wish I had a child....
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »
@sneakypete I’m such a Luddite I wouldn’t know how to set it up.

I wish there was a teenager in my family. One more time I wish I had a child....

@Gefn

Yeah,you would. You plug the cord into the back of your tv,where there is a slot that fits the plug. That's it. When you turn your tv on,it configures itself. It will even turn  your tv on and off using the ROKU remote. Or if you are going to watch local broadcast tv,you can just use your tv remote to do this.

You don't HAVE to do this,but with thousands of channels to pick from,who doesn't want a recorder? I bought a Channel Master video recorder that is no longer made because it was replaced by an upgraded model,so I can record one show while watching another. Not really sure what is available these days in recorders because I haven't looked. I also have an outside HD antenna (RCA) that I bought from Amazon for $43. I pick up 43 local broadcast channels on it that are free. Don't cost a dime. These are channels like CBS,NBC,ABC,PBS,etc,etc,etc. Most show stuff like tv shows from the 50's,60's,and 70's,and a lot of them are in black and white if you are into nostalgia. Stuff like Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Twilight Zone,two of my all-time favorite tv shows.

BTW,out of the thousands of channels you can pull in from your ROKU (Wi-Fi) almost all of them are free,but you will still have to subscribe to and pay for channels like HBO,Netflix,Showtime,The Disney Channel,etc,etc,etc. You actually end up with MORE choices than you had with cable or sat tv subscriptions.

Also,one of the big reasons I went for a ROKU was I got tired of losing satellite signals during rain storms or snowstorms. This doesn't happen with ROKU because it's a Wi-Fi device.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:21:53 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2020, 10:00:49 pm »
The Green Hornet TV series (1 season, 1966-67) was mentioned on the Obituaries thread... but since the subject applies more to this thread, I'm responding here.  happy77

It was available on SyFy a few years back, but they apparently lost it... it is currently available on YouTube, but not from an official source, so who knows how long it will last. Link here ->
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6fJmjt84zZijUX52K1F24557XEatByGT

@sneakypete , @TomSea , since you both mentioned it.
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2020, 12:07:05 am »
The Green Hornet TV series (1 season, 1966-67) was mentioned on the Obituaries thread... but since the subject applies more to this thread, I'm responding here.  happy77

It was available on SyFy a few years back, but they apparently lost it... it is currently available on YouTube, but not from an official source, so who knows how long it will last. Link here ->

@Ghost Bear

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #354 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:44 am »

I wanted to thank you so much for passing this on.

I have more than a passing interest in Bruce Lee. Interesting fellow.

@Ghost Bear
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:52:39 am by TomSea »

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:33 am »
@TomSea and @sneakypete , you are both welcome. Glad to help!  :beer:
Let it burn.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2020, 01:17:40 am »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2020, 02:05:20 am »
Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLAw2bdHZTU

WOW! And what is the elephant in the room is that Youtube itself,  not its subscription service, probably dwarfs them all.

I can't see me ever going back to chunked-and-formed programming. I so very much enjoy the ala-carte method... And I find the individual channels posted by content creators to be superior to TV series in every way... I do watch a series in full all the time... One series at a time. But that is far, far outweighed by joe-six-pack channel creators, which take up most of my media entertainment time. Well over 80%.

In fact I would say that creator content being first, radio would be next, with hollywood being merely incidental.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2020, 02:02:26 pm »

Amazon Maybe Working on A New Live TV Streaming Service Called Amazon TV
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amazon-maybe-working-on-a-new-live-tv-streaming-service-called-amazon-tv/

If true, this is yuge!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2020, 07:31:21 pm »
Good Western Channel on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJYCQ6WaEMhdZAuPo799bA/videos

I don't know for how long... but you can go to Fox(dot)com and now stream a bunch of Fox stuff including Fox News...

https://www.foxnews.com/

Yep Free
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:16:52 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline corbe

« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2020, 12:26:50 am »
   Dish is giving Free Channels automatically, got the email a couple of days ago.

Over 20 Free Previews added to your DISH programming lineup   

As the situation continues to evolve with COVID-19, we know you likely will be spending some extra time at home over the upcoming weeks. We also understand that your DISH TV service is a key source for entertainment and news.

To provide you with the entertainment and news you deserve, we’ve worked with many of our TV channel partners to bring all DISH customers over 20 free previews of movie channels, news channels and more that you might not get today.

SHOWTIME is available on Channels 318-324 at no additional cost, where you can watch movies such as Green Book, Rambo and Peppermint, or binge series such as Homeland.

HALLMARK’s “We Need A Little Christmas” Movie Marathon is available to all DISH customers starting Friday, March 20, through Sunday, March 22 on Channel 185.

Below is a list of all channels currently available in free preview. Please check mydish.com/freepreview for updates to this list: 

<..snip..>

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2020, 12:35:03 am »
I thought Dish Was the Cord?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2020, 06:45:33 pm »
I'm new to this thread.  Does anybody have Fubo?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2020, 07:00:19 pm »
I'm new to this thread.  Does anybody have Fubo?

You mean FUBAR? Because that's a lifestyle thing for me...  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »
You mean FUBAR? Because that's a lifestyle thing for me...  :shrug:

LOL!  I keep seeing "FUBAR" every time I think about it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2020, 07:18:32 pm »
I'm pissed. Hulu tv is raising their fee, again 54.99 to 64.99.  If Sling would stream the local affiliates I would dump HULU like Direct TV in a rain strom.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2020, 07:22:08 pm »
I'm pissed. Hulu tv is raising their fee, again 54.99 to 64.99.  If Sling would stream the local affiliates I would dump HULU like Direct TV in a rain strom.

Go get em from their local sites.

I don't pay for ANYTHING except Netflix, and that only because it is so dang cheap. On our family plan my end of it is $70/yr... ALL the rest I get on the internet without any service

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2020, 07:28:53 pm »
I've been comparing Fubo and Sling, which are both available on Fire Stick.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2020, 09:12:32 pm »

@Wingnut

There is this new devise avaialable callled a "tv antenna". You may have heard of them before,but the new ones have amazing range. I have a small RCA I bought from Amazon for about 40 bucks that pulls in something like 40 channels,and I live in a rural area with the closest broadcast tower maybe 30 miles away.

Then get a roku player and enjoy dozens of channels out of the thousands available to stream. Most are free,but you can subscribe to HBO,Netflix,etc,etc,etc through the ROKU,and only have one bill to pay. I like that because it allows me to see all my video bills in one place each month so I can decide what to keep and what to drop.

BTW,WWW.ROKU.COM
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:14:10 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #369 on: December 22, 2020, 01:03:00 pm »
@Wingnut

There is this new devise avaialable callled a "tv antenna". You may have heard of them before,but the new ones have amazing range. I have a small RCA I bought from Amazon for about 40 bucks that pulls in something like 40 channels,and I live in a rural area with the closest broadcast tower maybe 30 miles away.

Then get a roku player and enjoy dozens of channels out of the thousands available to stream. Most are free,but you can subscribe to HBO,Netflix,etc,etc,etc through the ROKU,and only have one bill to pay. I like that because it allows me to see all my video bills in one place each month so I can decide what to keep and what to drop.

BTW,WWW.ROKU.COM

Where do you mount your antenna?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #370 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »

Your TV didn't come with a Rabbit Ears Antenna? Make sure and use tin foil on those antennas for better reception.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #371 on: December 22, 2020, 01:54:00 pm »
I put my antenna up in the attic. It pulls in stations fine up there, though I don't watch local stations much.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #372 on: December 22, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »

There is Locast Tv.

https://www.locast.org/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #373 on: December 22, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
Your TV didn't come with a Rabbit Ears Antenna? Make sure and use tin foil on those antennas for better reception.

I mention OTA TV to my mom and dad, both born in the 40's, they gave me blank looks and my mom was basically like "what is that". I said ot her: "Mom, I remember back in the 80's before we got cable, we got a bunch of network channels and some really crappy staticky UHF stations. You don't remember that?" She didn't remember it apparently. LOL... 70 year old millenials...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2020, 03:09:17 pm »

I mounted mine on a steel pole outside my house. I like the assurance of a solid chuck of steel buried a foot or two into the ground to ground my system out so I don't  have to worry about lightening strikes.

Plus,I can use a pipe wrench on the steel pole to "tune the antenna for best reception". I used two 8 foot sections,so it's probably 14 feet above the ground.

I  used the cheapest RCA antenna I could find to both save money and buy American. It outperforms it's standards by a significant amount. Maybe by twice as much. I pull in over 40 channels with it,and the closest one is more than 50 miles away,which is further than the stated rated.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EKQ7MSHQ1X9T&dchild=1&keywords=rca+tv+antenna+outdoor&qid=1608648513&sprefix=rca+tv+antenna%2Caps%2C2036&sr=8-3

BTW,don't get all excited over pulling in 40 stations. Most will likely be 50's black and white tv stations showing stuff that will bore the snot out of you. Obvious exceptions for me was stuff like old black and white "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and old black and white episodes of the original "Twilight Zone". Yeah,there ARE hidden gems in those old stations,but you have to search for them.

Ok,here is what you need to do once you have your new antenna.

Go to

and bookmark that web site. It will use your address to tell you exactly where and how far away the various tv station broadcast towers are from your house.

Buy a cheap lensatic compass. You will need this to point your antenna in the right direction to get the best reception. Once you have determined you have the antenna pointed correctly for the best reception for the stations you want to  view,you MIGHT want to do like I did and drill holes where the two pipe sections meet and put a long bolt with a nut through the hole or hole. That way you don't have to worry about wind blowing your antenna out of alignment with the stations.

In my case,I drilled multiple holes because there are a couple of stations I like to view occasionally that require antenna adjustment.

Finish up the deal by buying a ROKU streaming player,and you will never again need a sat dish. I am currently watching Season 9 of the Walking Dead on Netflix over my Roku for free because IIRC,I pay 14 bucks a month to Netflix to watch pretty much everything they offer.

I even have my ROKU set up so they pay my subscription fees to providers like Netflix,Hulu,etc,etc,etc for me. That way all my video bills are coming from one site,and it is easy to monitor what I am using and what I need to dump.

BTW,in addition to spending less money and receiving more channels,you will never lose reception because of weather problems.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:14:04 pm by sneakypete »