Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 93329 times)

Offline Idiot

Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2019, 06:16:44 pm »
Thanks for the help!  I finally got some time to do some research on these ideas.  Thanks all!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2019, 12:19:04 am »
Netflix Reportedly at Risk of Losing 'The Office' (and a lot of other shows)

Though it brings us no joy to say this, it is our duty to inform you that Netflix is reportedly at risk of losing the proven mood-lifting collection of smiles known as The Office.

A harrowing report from The Wall Street Journal Wednesday, contains the news, with the given reason of NBCUniversal's impending launch of its own streaming service. According to the report, "internal discussions" have already started about getting the American adaptation of the Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant-created comedy off Netflix when its licensing contract runs out in 2021.

The report also includes data on the viewership behind shows like The Office, which—as IndieWire points out—currently stands (by an incredible margin, mind you) as the platform's most-streamed program.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/04/netflix-at-risk-of-losing-the-office?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com

(The original Wall Street Journal source for this is, alas, paywalled.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2019, 12:32:18 am »

The report also includes data on the viewership behind shows like The Office, which—as IndieWire points out—currently stands (by an incredible margin, mind you) as the platform's most-streamed program.

@jmyrlefuller

I have watched both the office and friends,and while they are ok,I have a hard time believing they are the most watched series on Netflix. I just don't get it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2019, 03:38:56 pm »

Though it brings us no joy to say this, it is our duty to inform you that Netflix is reportedly at risk of losing the proven mood-lifting collection of smiles known as The Office.

A harrowing report from The Wall Street Journal Wednesday, contains the news, with the given reason of NBCUniversal's impending launch of its own streaming service. According to the report, "internal discussions" have already started about getting the American adaptation of the Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant-created comedy off Netflix when its licensing contract runs out in 2021.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/04/netflix-at-risk-of-losing-the-office?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com

(The original Wall Street Journal source for this is, alas, paywalled.)
I never liked The Office.  No great loss....

Offline Absalom

« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2019, 05:31:44 pm »
Books, read books, lot's of books. All I have is antenna and having been away from watching TV for so long I really don't like it any more. Too much to do and books are more convenient. I'm a fast reader so the information transfer is much slower listening or watching than reading.
----------------------------------
Reading provoked reflection which then provoked the Wisdom of Ancient Greece!
And they had neither degrees nor tee-vee; the poor unfortunates. So sad!!!
Truth is direct and simple. Moderns are full of crap, pretentiousness and pomposity!
Exhibit A. Our Founders (and first 5) were Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison
and Monroe. Now compare them to our last five and laugh hysterically!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:40:21 pm by Absalom »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2019, 02:18:25 am »
So, um...
These channels are probably outside most of your demographic, but... MTV, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. BET and Comedy Central were just made available for free.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/viacom-newfronts-pluto-tv-channels-originals-slate-1203200042/

That's kind of a big deal. For cable networks to offer a free model is a sign of a big shift.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2019, 03:50:54 pm »
So, um...
These channels are probably outside most of your demographic, but... MTV, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. BET and Comedy Central were just made available for free.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/viacom-newfronts-pluto-tv-channels-originals-slate-1203200042/

That's kind of a big deal. For cable networks to offer a free model is a sign of a big shift.

All of those channels are owned by Viacom, and Viacom bought Pluto TV earlier this year. So it's a matter of Viacom using it's just-purchased streaming service to offer free versions of the channels that it also owns.
Let it burn.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2019, 11:20:34 pm »
All of those channels are owned by Viacom, and Viacom bought Pluto TV earlier this year. So it's a matter of Viacom using it's just-purchased streaming service to offer free versions of the channels that it also owns.
It makes you wonder if any other Big Cable names will do the same any time soon, even if it is simply a reduced plate the way Viacom is doing with Pluto. I know Discovery already has syndication deals with Pluto that predate Viacom buying it.

Right now, the only other big TV name trying the free model is Sinclair. They launched Stirr, which is their own Pluto-like free service... but they're a broadcast network and so they've always had their product out there for free to an extent.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
A source that I like says the cable TV  cos. and cell phone cos. use a model he calls "Confusopoly"

He figures many folks get frustrated when dealing with those purchases.

Remember years ago, trying to cancel AOL?  Had any similar recent experience negotiating with your current services?

Having to threaten cancelling, to have bad charges removed?

It employee or you.

It is the business/pricing model.isn't the company, or the
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2019, 02:26:57 am »
How To Destroy CNN, Survive Without Cable TV, And Save Lots of $$$

Snip

https://www.dailywire.com/news/14832/how-destroy-cnn-survive-without-cable-tv-and-save-john-nolte
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #285 on: June 25, 2019, 02:34:22 pm »
The wife is finally getting on board with this. We both are disgusted by the news and by media in general. Time to cut it out of our lives.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #286 on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:29 pm »
The wife is finally getting on board with this. We both are disgusted by the news and by media in general. Time to cut it out of our lives.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I did this a couple of years ago,and not only have more shows to view now than ever before,but I also have more reliable and better reception. Snow storms or rain don't interfere with my signals.

I bought a 35 dollar RCA (made in America) High Definition antenna from Amazon and pull in 43 channels with it alone. Keep in mind I live in a rural area and the closest tv station to me is 54 miles away.

The big expense was buying a Channel Master tuner from Amazon so I would be able to record multiple shows while viewing another one,and so I would have TIVO. IIRC,that cost me about 250 bucks.

I ended up buying a 2tb western digital hard drive to plug into the back of the Channel Master to store recordings until I have the time to watch them.

The ROKU was maybe 30 bucks,plus I had to buy cables to connect it all.

I get Amazon Prime for free because I was already an Amazon Prime member for the free shipping,and I pay a fee to subscribe to Netflix and a couple of others. I pay all my subscription fees through ROKU so I only have one bill coming in and so I don't have to put my banking or credit card info out there to a dozen or more places. Truth to tell I could get by with just the roku freebies,netflix,and amazon prime and not really be missing out on much because no matter how much entertainment out there that there is to watch,I only have 24 hours in a day and I also have other stuff to do on good days.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2019, 09:39:18 pm »

Bravo!
It will take a month or two... but you will not go back, I can almost guarantee.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:13 am »

Congrats!! Trust me you won't miss a thing.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2019, 05:58:40 pm »
Ok, boys and girls.  My "Smart TV' is on its last leg and I've been thinking for some time that instead of getting a new one, I would like to just scrap the tv and do any tv watching on my laptop.  I'm the only one in this house and I don't entertain, so why do I need a tv?  My laptop is wide and big enough to run any tv programming (including local news).

Right now I have Comcast (Xfinity) for tv and Wi-Fi.  I would like to ditch the tv service and just have Wi-Fi, but I don't believe Comcast (Xfinity) will allow it.  They are already unhappy because I discontinued the phone service a few years ago.  With these guys, everything is  a "bundle."  Those packages make the cable companies a lot of money.

So now my question:  Has anyone had experience with a standalone Wi-Fi and if so, what companies are best?   In my neck of the woods, Comcast (Xfinnity), Verizon, Viasat, Hughesnet and Toast are listed as the only providers.  Toast is DSL, so no to that one.  Hughes and ViaSat are satellite providers, Verizon is fibre and Comcast is cable.  I hate Comcast.  Verizon is overly aggressive in their sales approach, plus they probably are scammers like Xfinity where you sign up  for some low introductory price, but after the intro price expires, the regular price just goes up and up.  So that leaves ViaSat and Hughes. 

Anyone have any experience with ViaSat or Hughes?  Neither has the speeds of Comcast or Verizon, but I'm not so sure I need all that.  Presumably both will work for streaming on one device, uploading and playing entertainment and some gaming.  I'm not much of a gamer except for solitaire and I can get by with one device at a time.  I would like to have reliable streaming without the annoying buffering. 

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2019, 06:16:00 pm »
When I cut the cord I kept my internet service with Centurylink but upgrade to their 50Megs for $50 bucks for life.  Then I signed up for HULU TV which costs about $47 0r 48 bucks a month with taxes.   With HULU TV I was able to eliminate my TV antenna because with HULU I can stream all my local TV stations plus it will store 50 hours of programing on a DVR. Hulu has a good assortment of bundled channels.  Lots of sports options.   I also cancelled Netflix because they are sleeping with the Obama's.  I replace it with Amazon Prime.    Hulu TV will let you try it out for one week free.  Just a note here there is another Hulu option for 5.99 per month so don't confuse the two services.

All of this is funneled thu my Roku Ultra box that I bought during prime days for an 85 buck one time cost. It has a nice voice search feature and an ear plug hole for private listening.  So for about 110 bucks a month I have everything I need.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2019, 06:18:00 pm »
I used to watch some tv programs all the time on my desktop,when there was a conflict with recording the ones I wanted to watch later on my DVR/ROKU/Plasma tv.

That way I could watch a program I would have missed otherwise. I quit doing it when a kitten chewed through the speaker wires,and realized I was watching so many shows I didn't have time to do anything else.

Verison is my cable provider,and I use a ROKU to pull in streaming tv,and a HD antenna to pull in broadcast tv. I use a Channel Master DVR to store videos on that I record. Seems like CM no longer makes the type I have,so I can't recommend either it or the newer versions they are currently selling.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2019, 06:28:34 pm »
Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

First of all, I cannot be a lot of help because your service providers are not out here.
But I was on Spectrum, on a phone, TV, and internet bundle, and when I cut the cord, nothing changed at all - I simple told them I wanted out of the TV programming, but would keep the phone and internet, and except for a pretty hard sales play to keep me on the TV, when I insisted, they simply took the TV out of the package, at a savings of $70/ mo right off the bat, and another $75/mo when I returned their TV hardware (which was why I quit in the first place - their recently rejiggered system suddenly required the hardware decoders for each TV, for a banging big increase equal to the TV service itself)...

So my first recommendation would be to inquire with the service you currently have and cut a new deal. For me, the phone was required if I was to retain the internet... which is no worry for me, as it is my business phone anyway.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:29:20 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2019, 06:33:29 pm »
@Applewood I have Hughesnet, and I'm not a fan, but it's our only option out here.  You are aware that it's metered, right?  I have one of the medium-sized plans and I usually get about 2 weeks before I run out and am throttled down.  And, I don't do any streaming - it's too slow for it and it eats up too much bandwidth.  I do sometimes download youtubes and watch them later, but I frequently have to try several times to get them to download.  YMMV.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2019, 06:51:02 pm »
My "Smart TV' is on its last leg and I've been thinking for some time that instead of getting a new one, I would like to just scrap the tv and do any tv watching on my laptop.

Another thing... What is wrong with the tv? If it is just the Smart part, plug your laptop into an hdmi port and forget about the smart. I purposefully disable the smart by giving it an invalid IP, and run the tv as a big ol monitor, with a computer attached to each one.

I really like having the TV. I have a big ol' 50-something inch TV in my front room, and that big ol girl is excellent, as my eyes are problematic... I can easily see the crawl on the bottom of a news channel now, and movies and such are much more enjoyable.

I started with an old Vista era ACER that I bought for hardly nothing used... Plugged it into the then 36" TV I had... It had an hdmi-out port and wifi built in, so all I did was literally plug it in, give it a wireless keyboard/glidepad combo KB I bought at wallyworld for $30, set it up to connect to the wireless, and viola!

That whole rig is still running in my bedroom... Now I have a pretty powerful Dell running the show out here against that big TV, as it serves as a media server for the rest of the TVs - music and movies...

And btw, I bought that big TV used fr 200 bucks, maybe 5 years ago... and all the computers were used and cost me hardly nothing.

And any of that - ALL of that, doesn't really matter, because the nearly $150/mo in savings from ditching the TV service, pays for just about anything I would do in a matter of months.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2019, 07:09:15 pm »
Roamer reminded me of another thing.  I too just us my plasma tv as a monitor now. Also I hate smart TV's.  I don't trust them to not be spying on me. I'll never buy one.  Anyway, My roku plugs into my stereo AV/receiver via hdmi cable,  along with my DVD/CD player and turntable.  I also have a spare HDMI cable hooked up to the receiver so If I need to hook my laptop up I can view it on the big screen.   On more thing, The Roku can be wireless but with so many other things fighting for bandwidth I ran a Cat 5 cable to it.  Besides Cat 5 gives you faster  connections and less buffering

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2019, 07:24:32 pm »
[...] I ran a Cat 5 cable to it.  Besides Cat 5 gives you faster  connections and less buffering

Yeah that's REALLY high on my list of ToDos... All my media machines are running wireless. To fix that I need to get cat5 to a switch in the mechanical room, and then go scuba-diving under the house to provide cat5 to the media center and both bedrooms... Which sucks. As big as I am, and as little as the trap is going under the house, I gotta have somebody there to poke me down that hole with a stick.

So I keep on kickin the can.  :whistle:

Online Wingnut

« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »
Thankfully this house was built when they put those multi media connection outlets in every room.   I see in some of the newer homes they don't do it anymore because everything is blutoothed or wireless.  All the give you now is a couple USB slots in every outlet!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2019, 07:39:21 pm »
Thankfully this house was built when they put those multi media connection outlets in every room.   I see in some of the newer homes they don't do it anymore because everything is blutoothed or wireless.  All the give you now is a couple USB slots in every outlet!

The dumb part is, I built this place, about 7 years ago... Well, nearly so... A remodel interior out to the studs and a remodel exterior in to the studs... It's all new. to include wiring and plumbing.

And I am a tech guy. I fix em for a living. It's just that at the time, I was running the tvs with the cable, which IS delivered everywhere... I didn't need cat5 anywhere except between my desk and the test bench, and a line going out to the shop. It was only after I dumped cableTV that cat5 everywhere became an issue.

Not terribly far-seeing of me, I know... But I am a bit of a luddite, believe it or not.  :shrug:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2019, 08:10:47 pm »
I have free air antenna and an internet connection... very little I can't watch with a little looking around... I like to download movies/shows and burn them to DVD disk... I probable have 3000 movies now on disk (I can fit anywhere to 5-7 movies on a disk). They ain't dvd quality, but better than old tv reception most the time. There is only so much HQ at my age a person needs... I don't have to see the freckle on some young lady's breast to get the idea it is time to skip ahead a minute or so.

I can find rare stuff (example: Polish anti-communist movie called Roza yesterday) and I am not limited to some plan that only carries this or that due to contracts. I search the net for good movie lists and when I see something interesting I hunt it down. I find some server that stores it and run a good adblock program and click download. Often if I find more than one movie at a time, I will download it in the background while cruisin TBR... or I will put it on download overnight when I am asleep. Youtube has a few movies that certain websites will let you download ((example flvto(dot)biz))... I figure I have enough movies to forget and watch again if needed...

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....