Author Topic: Turning chicken poop and weeds into biofuel  (Read 1229 times)

rangerrebew

Turning chicken poop and weeds into biofuel
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:37:52 pm »

May 3, 2017

Chicken is a favorite, inexpensive meat across the globe. But the bird's popularity results in a lot of waste that can pollute soil and water. One strategy for dealing with poultry poop is to turn it into biofuel, and now scientists have developed a way to do this by mixing the waste with another environmental scourge, an invasive weed that is affecting agriculture in Africa. They report their approach in ACS' journal Energy & Fuels.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-chicken-poop-weeds-biofuel.html#jCp

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Turning chicken poop and weeds into biofuel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:28 pm »

May 3, 2017

Chicken is a favorite, inexpensive meat across the globe. But the bird's popularity results in a lot of waste that can pollute soil and water. One strategy for dealing with poultry poop is to turn it into biofuel, and now scientists have developed a way to do this by mixing the waste with another environmental scourge, an invasive weed that is affecting agriculture in Africa. They report their approach in ACS' journal Energy & Fuels.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-chicken-poop-weeds-biofuel.html#jCp
this is similar to turning corn into fuel.

Corn is food, poop is used to grow food, and weeds have the nutrients for the soil to produce food.

We need no more food to fuel experiments, as hydrocarbons do things quite well already.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
NO WAY.

Chickensh*t is garden gold. What moron would use it otherwise?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:47:31 pm »
Another thing the article does not mention is the cost. is it competitive with petroleum based fuels without a subsidy? If not, it is a waste of time, besides, it has already been mentioned that chicken crap is a great garden fertilizer after it has been composted for a short time.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
Another thing the article does not mention is the cost. is it competitive with petroleum based fuels without a subsidy? If not, it is a waste of time, besides, it has already been mentioned that chicken crap is a great garden fertilizer after it has been composted for a short time.

The remains, after digestion, are a good fertilizer. Third paragraph down.

Sounds like a modification of the homebrew methane digesters we used in Botswana. Those'd give off enough methane to run a gennie for long enough to charge the batteries, at least. Made from scrap and fed with waste - not a whole lot of cost involved for an individual or family to keep one going.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:04 am »

I guess Big Farma doesn't want what Tyson Chicken is putting out... Why not is completely beyond me.

Feed the waste from the table and the garden to the chickens, they turn it into poop... put the poop on the garden... Circle of life, man...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 02:15:18 am »
I guess Big Farma doesn't want what Tyson Chicken is putting out... Why not is completely beyond me.

Feed the waste from the table and the garden to the chickens, they turn it into poop... put the poop on the garden... Circle of life, man...
This smells like another govt subsidy (no pun intended)
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 02:17:08 am »
This smells like another govt subsidy (no pun intended)

Well, it's chickensh*t, so it's right up their alley....