Author Topic: Researchers quantify the changes that lightning inspires in rock  (Read 641 times)

rangerrebew

Researchers quantify the changes that lightning inspires in rock
April 26, 2017 by Katherine Unger Baillie

Benjamin Franklin, founder of the University of Pennsylvania, is believed to have experimented with lightning's powerful properties using a kite and key, likely coming close to electrocuting himself in the process.

In a new set of experiments at Penn, researchers have probed the power of lightning in a less risky but much more technologically advanced fashion.

Chiara Elmi, a postdoctoral researcher in Penn's Department of Earth and Environmental Science in the School of Arts & Sciences, led the work, which used a suite of techniques to examine a fulgurite, a thin layer of glass that forms on the surface of rock when lightning hits it. Among other findings, the study discovered that, based on the crystalline material in the sample, the minimum temperature at which the fulgurite formed was roughly 1,700 degrees Celsius.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-04-quantify-lightning.html#jCp

Offline Suppressed

Re: Researchers quantify the changes that lightning inspires in rock
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:20 am »
I've collected fulgerites from sand. Pretty cool.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:07 am »
All I took from this is rocks can be inspired...

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »
I've collected fulgerites from sand. Pretty cool.

When I was a "grunt" on a lineman crew, I worked one major thunderstorm, 21 continuous hours.

We found a chunk of dirt, solidified into near rock from contact with a downed, energized power line.  Similar perhaps to a lightning strike.

They were very concerned for my safety (and their arse-chewing from me getting hurt).  Too much frantic activity in bad conditions.

The dirt was about an 8" sphere(ish) with a near 1" hole through the middle.  I had to carry it with me every time I went back to the truck for a tool, equipment, etc.  They told me to keep looking at it an imagine it was my leg.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer