Author Topic: Texas: Official: Deaths Reported, Dozens Hospitalized After Tornado  (Read 2768 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sunday, 30 Apr 2017 07:20 AM

Fatalities have been reported and dozens of people were taken to hospitals after a tornado hit a small city in East Texas, authorities said.

Canton Fire Department Capt. Brian Horton said during a news conference late Saturday that "a number of fatalities" were reported, but that it wasn't yet clear how many, after powerful storms swept through the community earlier in the evening.

The storms left behind a trail of overturned vehicles, mangled trees and damaged homes in and around Canton, which is about 50 miles (80 kilometers) east of Dallas.

more
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/deaths-severe-weather-tornado/2017/04/30/id/787243/

I hope and pray all our Texas Briefers are okay.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:20:27 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: Texas: Official: Deaths Reported, Dozens Hospitalized After Tornado
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:31:58 pm »
My brother lives in the region, but not in Canton

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
@Victoria33

Are you ok?

Worried.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:52:50 pm »
Wow, thanks for posting this, Myst.

I'm a ways south of Canton.  We dropped from mid-80's to 50's pretty quickly and got a little rain and lightening, but none of the really ugly stuff.

Prayers for the people in the Canton area.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:57:33 pm »
@Sanguine

I'm glad you and @geronl are ok.

I feel stupid I dont know who lives in Texas. Still worried about @Victoria33

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 02:59:20 pm »
I hope and pray all our Texas Briefers are okay.
@mystery-ak
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon

We left church in Grapevine, Tx, about 6:30 pm last evening, and squalls from this weather system began to come through here then.  We picked up some barbecue sandwiches, got me a coffee at Starbucks, got home, put garage doors down and it hit for sure as we walked under a covered walkway to the back door. It went through fast and we were okay.

Later in the evening, our local channel 11, had pictures from in and around Canton, and they were awful - the area was denuded like multiple bombs had destroyed everything.  At that car business, cars/trucks were thrown around and stacked on top of each other.  One woman was killed with cars on top of her.

I saw the Canton high school where doctors/nurses had gathered to treat the injured people being brought there by family/friends.  There was a line of ambulances there picking up the injured and transporting them to various hospitals.  This was a terrible weather event.

I heard last night that there were 5 tornadoes in that area - 3 were the worst.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:34:33 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 03:00:52 pm »
@mystery-ak

We left church in Grapevine, Tx, about 6:30 pm last evening, and squalls from this weather system began to come through here then.  We picked up some barbecue sandwiches, got me a coffee at Starbucks, got home, put garage doors down and it hit for sure as we walked under a covered walkway to the back door. It went through fast and we were okay.

Later in the evening, our local channel 11, had pictures from in and around New Caney, and they were awful - the area was denuded like multiple bombs had destroyed everything.  At that car business, cars/trucks were thrown around and stacked on top of each other.  One woman was killed with cars on top of her.

I saw the New Caney high school where doctors/nurses had gathered to treat the injured people being brought there by family/friends.  There was a line of ambulances there picking up the injured and transporting them to various hospitals.  This was a terrible weather event.

Glad you're OK, Victoria.  This has been a wild spring, hasn't it?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »
I have several old school friends who live in that area that I have been checking on this morning. Thank God all seem to have been spared any great harm.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »
@Victoria33

I'm glad you and Prissy are ok.
I'm glad it looks like all the briefers are ok.

Hurray.

I'll pray for those who were affected though.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
Glad you're OK, Victoria.  This has been a wild spring, hasn't it?
@Sanguine
@Freya

Yes, it has been wild.  Our new roof damaged by baseball sized hail a few weeks ago, was just finished last Friday.  New gutters still have to be put on.  We were hoping we wouldn't get hail like that yesterday and destroy this new roof at a cost of over $20,000.  There are no guarantees in life.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 03:29:21 pm »
@Sanguine
@Freya

Yes, it has been wild.  Our new roof damaged by baseball sized hail a few weeks ago, was just finished last Friday.  New gutters still have to be put on.  We were hoping we wouldn't get hail like that yesterday and destroy this new roof at a cost of over $20,000.  There are no guarantees in life.

Taxes! I got ten dollars back this yeAr. I gave five to our local animal shelter, and took the other five for two coffees for my mom and I at WAWA. :)

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 03:39:51 pm »
@Sanguine
@Freya

Latest report I just saw says 5 are confirmed dead.  There must be many without homes left or damaged so they can't live in them.  As I saw that damage last night, I was so thankful this house is still here.

I made a mistake on my report - I said injured were taken to New Caney high school - that was the Canton high school, not New Caney. (must have had a "senior" moment when I typed New Caney)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:40 pm »
@Sanguine
@Freya

Latest report I just saw says 5 are confirmed dead.  There must be many without homes left or damaged so they can't live in them.  As I saw that damage last night, I was so thankful this house is still here.

I made a mistake on my report - I said injured were taken to New Caney high school - that was the Canton high school, not New Caney. (must have had a "senior" moment when I typed New Caney)

That's terrible.  And apparently 54+ in the hospital, with less serious injuries.  They're asking people to stay away today.  I'd considered driving up there to see what I could do to help, but I'd probably just get in the way.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 03:45:00 pm »
Taxes! I got ten dollars back this yeAr. I gave five to our local animal shelter, and took the other five for two coffees for my mom and I at WAWA. :)
@Freya

I sent the government $1,000+ in taxes on April 10th.  That won't make a dent in paying for Trump's next trip to Florida which costs millions.  That money of mine is wasted by government.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:45:28 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 03:54:53 pm »
That's terrible.  And apparently 54+ in the hospital, with less serious injuries.  They're asking people to stay away today.  I'd considered driving up there to see what I could do to help, but I'd probably just get in the way.
@Sanguine

Watching on our Dallas TV station last night, within two hours or less after that happened, emergency crews from this area were headed to that area.  Governor Abbott has also sent emergency help.  He is on top of it.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 03:59:36 pm »
@Freya

We see two birds back in their bird houses under the eave of our garage.  The roof guys finished last Friday so it looks like the birds are returning.  Some are Sparrows and some are Finches.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
@Sanguine

I'm glad you and @geronl are ok.

I feel stupid I dont know who lives in Texas. Still worried about @Victoria33

I live far from Canton, 292 miles by highway according to Google Maps. My brother lives about 25 miles south of Canton, so I worried about him.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 10:47:14 pm »

No First Monday Trade Day tomorrow?

Online berdie

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:56 pm »
No First Monday Trade Day tomorrow?

No there is not, nor should there be. I have a couple of stands there and we were closed down. I don't have a problem with that at all, nor do any of the vendors that I know. The rescuers, etc. need to be able to get into the town without the traffic of First Monday.

Of course when the storm passed over me last night...I was relieved. But when I  heard that it hit Canton...it really worried me. Not because of my interests..but because there are a whole bunch of people there with a limited way to get out.

This storm could have been much worse had it hit First Monday.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:17 am »
No there is not, nor should there be. I have a couple of stands there and we were closed down. I don't have a problem with that at all, nor do any of the vendors that I know. The rescuers, etc. need to be able to get into the town without the traffic of First Monday.

Of course when the storm passed over me last night...I was relieved. But when I  heard that it hit Canton...it really worried me. Not because of my interests..but because there are a whole bunch of people there with a limited way to get out.

This storm could have been much worse had it hit First Monday.

Hey, @berdie, good to meet another Texan!

Online berdie

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 02:15:20 am »
Hey, @berdie, good to meet another Texan!
And  very nice to meet you as well.    888high58888

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:28 am »
And  very nice to meet you as well.    888high58888

Lot's of Texans here Bertie!  Glad you are ok after the storms!  Welcome to TBR!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 03:40:36 am »
Lot's of Texans here Bertie!  Glad you are ok after the storms!  Welcome to TBR!

Thank you so much Bigun. Believe me, I was glad the storms missed me (and very sorry for those that it didn't miss) ^-^