Author Topic: Freedom Caucus endorses revised ObamaCare repeal-and-replace bill  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Freedom Caucus endorses revised ObamaCare repeal-and-replace bill
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »
The standard in group insurance in past years had been to penalize--not deny--a pre-existing condition usually through a waiting period for the one condition (typically 90 days).  But this practice was phased out a few years ago.

The standard for individual insurance in the past has also been to penalize a pre-existing condition, but not deny a policy.  In this market there was greater discretion in attaching premiums to the individual, so those with pre-existing conditions standardly paid a higher premium.  The application of a waiting period for the condition was also common.

Flat out denial of an insurance policy due to pre-existing conditions is draconian ... and unnecessary.

And, free-market and capitalistic. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »
Obviously, it's a first step but I hope they pass it.  The next step would be that members of Congress have to live with the same health care they force on us.
https://www.facebook.com/AIDSCaucus

Right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:52 pm »
Yep!  But post an article on sexual choices and the place explodes.
It is related, actually. If you don't think Obama care is really a transfer of funds to the 1.3 million uninsurable HIV/AIDS from those who choose to live a more healthy lifestyle, think again. The health care (not insurance) tab is anticipated to be a trillion dollars for the currently infected, and the numbers continue to grow. The highest concentrations of homosexuals in the country aren't in San Francisco, they're in Washington D.C. and Hawaii. https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/press/press-releases/lgbt-percentages-highest-in-washington-dc-and-hawaii/

Just as taxpayers are picking up the tab for people who made lousy educational decisions and poor life choices in other areas (Welfare, Drugs, Crime, etc.), we're picking up the tab for people whose licentiousness is more expensive than ever. Keep funding social/moral/cultural and ultimately economic decay and we'll get more.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:40:48 pm »
The standard in group insurance in past years had been to penalize--not deny--a pre-existing condition usually through a waiting period for the one condition (typically 90 days).  But this practice was phased out a few years ago.

The standard for individual insurance in the past has also been to penalize a pre-existing condition, but not deny a policy.  In this market there was greater discretion in attaching premiums to the individual, so those with pre-existing conditions standardly paid a higher premium.  The application of a waiting period for the condition was also common.

Flat out denial of an insurance policy due to pre-existing conditions is draconian ... and unnecessary.
In some cases, the States have stepped into the breach.
http://www.chand.org/

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
If there were the votes for Cruz' or Paul's plan to pass, don't you think the Freedom Caucus would have held out for them?  Because as of right now, it appears that all or almost all of the Freedom Caucus supports this bill.   And I'd suggest that if folks have reached the conclusion that the entire Freedom Caucus is worthless, that you might as well roll up the sidewalks and not bother with anything anymore, because they're the best we've got.

No.  Cruz and Paul are in the Senate.  IF this is the best that the House can come up with ... you are right ... we're in trouble. The House holds the largest GOP majority...the people voted for REPEAL.  It may now pass the House, but quite frankly, I'm hoping that it fails in the Senate  ... and some how full repeal and replacement finally takes place.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:08 pm »
    Looks like all those Briefers that were arguing we Conservatives were to Rigid, that a half loaf is better than no loaf at all and assorted other crap, will get their wish-the Half loaf, good luck folks.

Members of the centrist Tuesday Group said Wednesday they were either still opposed or on the fence.

Will those Briefers you mentioned - and they know who they are - now loudly denounce the "centrist" wing of the party for their unreasonable intransigence?

I don't think so.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:01:24 pm by skeeter »

geronl

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
Members of the centrist Tuesday Group said Wednesday they were either still opposed or on the fence.

Will those Briefers you mentioned - and they know who they are - now loudly denounce the "centrist" wing of the party for their unreasonable intransigence?

I don't think so.

It's a repeat of the last time really, I am sure it's failing would be blamed on the HFC again.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 10:06:27 pm »
The pre-existing condition coverage should be a limited time only offer. You shouldn't be allowed to go for years without coverage and get sick and then get insurance. Minors should also be allowed into the coverage when they come of age.

Math.   Some people don't get it. 
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:41 pm »
Just think. The most important political topics and virtually no interest shown here.

I think it's all been said.   I'm not surprised Trump is backing Zombie Obamacare.   I think he will put his name on virtually anything so long as he can claim it is an accomplishment and the fulfillment of a campaign promise.

I always thought he was a mostly Liberal New Yorker that slowly became a Moderate/Centrist Democrat,  or I should say what used to be a moderate Democrat.   

He doesn't have our distrust of big government solutions to problems,  and a lot of people he knows like the idea of government involvement in healthcare.

This is some of the stuff I expected from a New York Democrat that converted to a "conservative"  Republican.    I don't like it,   but it isn't the worst thing I have expected from him.   I've actually been pleasantly surprised that he hasn't turned out even more Liberal.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »
If this moves the ball toward Obamacare gone I'm all for it and I think it does that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:00 pm »
This is some of the stuff I expected from a New York Democrat that converted to a "conservative"  Republican.    I don't like it,   but it isn't the worst thing I have expected from him.   I've actually been pleasantly surprised that he hasn't turned out even more Liberal.
The Gorsuch appointment to the SC was pretty much the most I could hope for from Trump. I'm hoping the 2nd Amendment gets solidified in the next few years. More Justices in Gorsuch's  vein will get Trump my vote in 2020. The rest of his alleged agenda being passed is gravy.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 11:02:11 pm »
If this moves the ball toward Obamacare gone I'm all for it and I think it does that.
As long as everyone doesn't go to the clubhouse and declare it moved far enough.

That's my concern.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:58 pm »
The Gorsuch appointment to the SC was pretty much the most I could hope for from Trump. I'm hoping the 2nd Amendment gets solidified in the next few years. More Justices in Gorsuch's  vein will get Trump my vote in 2020. The rest of his alleged agenda being passed is gravy.

We have really lowered our expectations.  Well, that's supposed to be the secret to happiness. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 11:52:45 pm »
We have really lowered our expectations.  Well, that's supposed to be the secret to happiness.
Them who 'spects nuthin' ain't about to get disappointed.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »
As long as everyone doesn't go to the clubhouse and declare it moved far enough.

That's my concern.

And that is exactly what I expect will happen. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:37 am »

Based on past actions, we would be stupid to expect anything else.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:27 am »

Me, too. If they just repeal the d@mned thing, then they can go back and do what should have been done in the first place--patch the holes by opening things up to more competition. Considering more people have likely lost their insurance than gained it under the ACA, and in terms of payouts by the patient, that number has likely increased, not just for those who now have no insurance, but for those who do (higher co-pays and deductibles, not to mention premiums), and subsidies are only a way to transfer the bill to the taxpayer through channels that all take a cut, what we have now is a disaster. It would have been more effective to means test and then just have the bill paid outright.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 12:29:30 am »

We'll see ... I'm still holding out hope that when it goes to the Senate they kick it back with a bill that actually does repeal the ACA and replaces it with a combination of Cruz and Paul's plan.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:32:04 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 02:30:59 am »

Not with me it won't.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »
No.  Cruz and Paul are in the Senate.  IF this is the best that the House can come up with ... you are right ... we're in trouble.

There is nothing preventing the Freedom Caucus from taking the exact text of Cruz' bill and push it in the House.  But they're not.  I see no logical conclusion to draw from that other than they believe the votes aren't there to pass it.  And there is every reason to believe that the FC has a much better understanding of how the GOP members of the House will vote than do the rest of us.[/quote]

...the people voted for REPEAL.

No, the people voted for representatives, some of whom supported a full repeal/no replace, and some who did not.  You're living in an echo chamber if you think a majority of voters wanted to repeal ObamaCare, and not replace it with something that provided at least some of ObamaCare's benefits.
[/quote]

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 02:37:09 pm »
There is nothing preventing the Freedom Caucus from taking the exact text of Cruz' bill and push it in the House.  But they're not.  I see no logical conclusion to draw from that other than they believe the votes aren't there to pass it.  And there is every reason to believe that the FC has a much better understanding of how the GOP members of the House will vote than do the rest of us.

No, the people voted for representatives, some of whom supported a full repeal/no replace, and some who did not.  You're living in an echo chamber if you think a majority of voters wanted to repeal ObamaCare, and not replace it with something that provided at least some of ObamaCare's benefits.

Representatives who repeatedly PROMISED to fully repeal Obamacare if we gave them the house, and then the senate, and then the presidency! They had better fulfil that promise or they are dead meat politically!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 03:29:30 pm »
FOX Business-
#BreakingNews: There will be a House Rules vote on repealing ObamaCare today.

#BreakingNews: There will be a House Rules vote on repealing ObamaCare today. pic.twitter.com/WqaSPeIOcZ— FOX Business (@FoxBusiness) April 27, 2017

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 04:03:34 pm »
Let's get real here folks --- The reality is that *NOTHING* is going to pass that doesn’t allow for coverage of pre existing conditions.

We might want to tell ourselves that this is not how insurance works and give all the usual analogies with car insurance but ... Too many people have their lives on the line to give a fig about the economics, greater impact or ideological purity of *ANYTHING* that doesn’t mandate/provide coverage for people who would be excluded due to pre existing conditions.

I have a number of friends, co workers and general acquaintances who are reasonably conservative. However, due to job loss or such, could would not be covered and couldn’t afford to buy coverage with their conditions (some of which are their fault, some not).

I get the ideological, patriotic and economic arguments, but they simply don’t matter in the slightest if you’ve got cancer or a heart condition, always had coverage with your employer, and then got laid off or otherwise found yourself without insurance. Survival trumps everything. Acknowledging that reality would lead to something that might pass.

We might wish this were not so, but IT IS SO.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:04:00 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:46 pm »
Let's get real here folks --- The reality is that *NOTHING* is going to pass that doesn’t allow for coverage of pre existing conditions.

We might want to tell ourselves that this is not how insurance works and give all the usual analogies with car insurance but ... Too many people have their lives on the line to give a fig about the economics, greater impact or ideological purity of *ANYTHING* that doesn’t mandate/provide coverage for people who would be excluded due to pre existing conditions.

I have a number of friends, co workers and general acquaintances who are reasonably conservative. However, due to job loss or such, could would not be covered and couldn’t afford to buy coverage with their conditions (some of which are their fault, some not).

I get the ideological, patriotic and economic arguments, but they simply don’t matter in the slightest if you’ve got cancer or a heart condition, always had coverage with your employer, and then got laid off or otherwise found yourself without insurance. Survival trumps everything. Acknowledging that reality would lead to something that might pass.

We might wish this were not so, but IT IS SO.

I understand that, Sir, but I think we need to handle those who cannot buy into an insurance plan differently.  They need to go into a high-risk pool, or go on a state medical coverage account, or something, but the two scenarios need to be treated differently.

There is health insurance, and then there is something needed for those who don't fit into an insurance scenario.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:15:32 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 04:17:05 pm »
I understand that, Sir, but I think we need to handle those who cannot buy into an insurance plan differently.  They need to go into a high-risk pool, or go on a state medical coverage account, or something, but the two scenarios need to be treated differently.

There is health insurance, and then there is something needed for those who don't fit into an insurance scenario.

Exactly!  And something that does not involve government control of the system!

- J. R. R. Tolkien