Author Topic: Texas Bill Allowing Unlicensed Carry Of Guns Clears Committee  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
dfw.cbslocal.com 4/18/2017

A proposal allowing Texans to openly carry handguns without permits is eligible for a Texas House floor vote.

A House committee Tuesday approved the bill by Republican Rep. James White of Hillister. Backers of the 2nd Amendment call the issue “constitutional carry.”

The committee passed a modified version of White’s proposal, which would have allowed virtually any Texan 18 or older to openly carry handguns.

It now mandates guns be holstered. Those carrying without licenses also still must meet some requirements for obtaining licenses, including being at least 21 and without prior felony convictions.

More: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/18/texas-bill-allowing-unlicensed-carry-of-guns-clears-committee/

Offline thackney

Re: Texas Bill Allowing Unlicensed Carry Of Guns Clears Committee
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:34:28 pm »
...The main argument against Constitutional Carry: it’s dangerous! If you let people carry a gun without a background check and training, they’ll shoot the wrong person! Cops won’t know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy! And there’ll be more people carrying, leading to more “gun violence.”

You could counter these objections one-by-one, but it’s better to just say “look at Vermont.” Green Mountain State residents have enjoyed constitutional carry since the Constitution was enacted. According to the FBI’s 2015 stats, Vermont is the safest state in the country, with a violent crime rate of 118 incidents per 100k residents.

That’s not to say Vermont is the safest state in the U.S. because of constitutional carry. But their crime rates show that constitutional carry doesn’t create crime. Why would it? Criminals get guns no matter what the law says (they’re criminals, after all). Constitutional carry makes it easier for law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms....

http://concealednation.org/2017/02/constitutional-carry-the-three-best-arguments-in-favor/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:43:59 pm »
dfw.cbslocal.com 4/18/2017

..., which would have allowed virtually any Texan 18 or older to openly carry handguns.

It now mandates guns be holstered. Those carrying without licenses also still must meet some requirements for obtaining licenses, including being at least 21 and without prior felony convictions.

More: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/18/texas-bill-allowing-unlicensed-carry-of-guns-clears-committee/

Do these people even read what they write?  Do they have editors? :facepalm2:

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:22 pm »
Do these people even read what they write?  Do they have editors? :facepalm2:

I believe the initial bill was modified from 18 to 21.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:02:54 pm »
I believe the initial bill was modified from 18 to 21.

OK.  The way it's written it sounds like the bill that was passed, modified from White's original bill, and allowed any one 18 or older to carry.  But then also required one to meet the 21 year old requirement of the current license law.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »
Let me know when it applies to open and concealed, and recognizes gun owners from other states without permits, like AZ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:07:56 pm »
Let me know when it applies to open and concealed, and recognizes gun owners from other states without permits, like AZ.

We have that already, for rifles and shotguns. Kinda hard to conceal them though, but its doable.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »
We have that already, for rifles and shotguns. Kinda hard to conceal them though, but its doable.

Long gun rules are always different.  I've always found it amazing TX is so restrictive with the handgun infringement.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »

even the black-power marchers can carry rifles openly while chanting anti-cop statements

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
Long gun rules are always different.  I've always found it amazing TX is so restrictive with the handgun infringement.

It goes back to the carpetbagger days.