Author Topic: Will North Korea Go With Nuclear Submarines After Missile Mishaps?  (Read 946 times)

rangerrebew

Will North Korea Go With Nuclear Submarines After Missile Mishaps?
By Andrew West April 12, 2017

North Korea has been on a hot streak of powerful threats over the course of the last few months, but no one is sure just how realistic those threats could be.

The government in Pyongyang loves to talk a big game.  Between their longstanding hatred of the United States, and pretty much everyone except for China, the despotic dictatorship has been working for some time on its nuclear weapons technology in an effort to bolster their often laughable position on the world stage.

http://constitution.com/will-north-korea-go-nuclear-submarines-missile-mishaps/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:12:50 am by rangerrebew »

Online DB

Re: Will North Korea Go With Nuclear Submarines After Missile Mishaps?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:27:11 am »
Frankly, after all the threats, any NK sub found anywhere near the US or its territories should be quietly sunk in deep water with no warning and never revealed. Their subs should simply disappear.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:54:47 pm »
If all the knowledge I picked up reading military novels is to be at all trusted it's not nuclear subs we have to worry about it's an ultra quit diesel electric sneaking by on battery power. They don't have any nuclear powered subs, and what we know they have is all pretty old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_North_Korean_ships
Probably make a lot of noise trying to get anywhere.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:57:25 pm »
Frankly, after all the threats, any NK sub found anywhere near the US or its territories should be quietly sunk in deep water with no warning and never revealed. Their subs should simply disappear.

Their subs disappear often through malfunctions. lol

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »
Their subs disappear often through malfunctions. lol

Yeah, and depth charges and torpedoes can cause some pretty amazing malfunctions.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 06:20:10 pm »

"Are we lost?" the Captain asked.

"Should we ask for directions?" The Commander asked.

"Shut up and find the lube oil so I can actually fit into this thing already!" KJU demands.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:39:55 pm »
If you are going to have a missile mishap, you don't want to be in a submarine when it happens.
Countdown to Resignation

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:10:11 pm »
Yeah, and depth charges and torpedoes can cause some pretty amazing malfunctions.

That's WWII stuff. This is what we have today.

After a surface ship, patrol plane or anti-submarine helicopter detects an enemy[/size]submarine[/color][/size] by using [/color][/size]sonar[/size][/color][/size] or other sensors, it could relay the sub's position to an ASROC-equipped ship for attack. The attacking ship would then fire an ASROC missile carrying an acoustic homing [/color][/size]torpedo[/size][/size][size=0.75em][/color][/size][7][/size][/color][/size][size=0.75em][/font][/color][/size] or a W44 [/color][/size]Nuclear Depth Bomb[/size][/color][/size] onto an unguided ballistic trajectory toward the target. At a pre-determined point on the missile's trajectory, the payload separates from the missile and deploys a parachute to permit splashdown and water entry at a low speed and with minimum detectable noise. Water entry activates the torpedo, which is guided by its own sonar system, and homes in on the target using either [/color][/size]active sonar[/size][/color][/size] or [/color][/size]passive sonar[/size][/color][/size].[/color]
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:23 pm »
Will North Korea Go With Nuclear Submarines After Missile Mishaps?

Hard to see how that would help, unless they're making nuclear bombs out of the subs themselves.  Sub-launched missiles are more difficult to perfect than land-launched ones.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »

That's WWII stuff. This is what we have today.

Thanks for the update.  I knew about some of the new technology--especially the rocket-launched torpedoes--but not in as much detail as you provided.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:03 pm »
Thanks for the update.  I knew about some of the new technology--especially the rocket-launched torpedoes--but not in as much detail as you provided.
@the_doc
They are basically hunter/killer torpedoes. You launch them to the last known location of the sub, and they will actively hunt, find, and kill the sub autonomously.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.