Author Topic: GOP lawmakers in North Carolina introduce bill to restore ban on same-sex marriage  (Read 48086 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
GOP lawmakers in North Carolina introduce bill to restore ban on same-sex marriage
BY Joshua Barajas  April 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM EDT

Republican lawmakers in North Carolina introduced a bill Tuesday that looks to ban same-sex marriage in the state.

House Bill 780, or the “Uphold Historical Marriage Act,” says the Supreme Court “overstepped its constitutional bounds” in its 2015 ruling in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. The justices ruled 5-4 in favor of marriage equality nationwide, a landmark decision that overturned same-sex marriage bans in several states in the country, including North Carolina.

Continued: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/gop-lawmakers-north-carolina-introduce-bill-restore-ban-sex-marriage/

State Level - National Implications.

Is this just a futile exercise? It sounds that way a bit from the rest of the article.  I can't rule out bias from the article either, it's PBS.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:11:21 pm by TomSea »

Offline cato potatoe

Unless Kennedy retires, it seems futile. 

Offline Night Hides Not

Roy Williams is calling the NCAA as we speak.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Folks just cannot mind their own damn business.  No gay marriage ever affected a straight couple's marriage in the slightest.   

Let God punish such marriages, not His legions of Godboys.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

geronl

Folks just cannot mind their own damn business.  No gay marriage ever affected a straight couple's marriage in the slightest.   

No such thing as gay marriage anyway, it's a fiction.

Offline mirraflake

I agree.......... two consenting adults. 2 old lesbos living together or in marriage what difference is there?

@Jazzhead

Offline DiogenesLamp

You don't grasp the bigger picture here.   Western society is built on Christianity.  Undermine the foundation of Christianity,  and you undermine Western civilization.   

Like it or not,  this nation floats in a sea of Christian principles.   We are currently operating only on the inertia of what the society has been before.  As these Christian principles erode,  so too will other moral prohibitions.   

We will eventually get to wholesale slaughter because people will realize that there is nothing sacred about life.

My point stated more eloquently:

Political correctness; so-called climate change; wide-ranging policies favoring the "religion of peace," which is actually the religion of perpetual war; the distortions of radical feminism; the celebration of transgenderism; redistributive economics; open borders; no-fault crime; the dilution of educational rigor to promote the canard of "social justice"; the rejection of medical reason; the rampant slaughter of the unborn; the belief in human equality in the realm of talents, merit, and cultivation; the dogged quest for an egalitarian utopia; and many other such perversions – all such convictions and practices fly in the face of reality and will inexorably lead, sooner or later, to civilizational disaster.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/the_war_against_reality.html#ixzz4e4leuYVy

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Mesaclone

You don't grasp the bigger picture here.   Western society is built on Christianity.  Undermine the foundation of Christianity,  and you undermine Western civilization.   

Like it or not,  this nation floats in a sea of Christian principles.   We are currently operating only on the inertia of what the society has been before.  As these Christian principles erode,  so too will other moral prohibitions.   

We will eventually get to wholesale slaughter because people will realize that there is nothing sacred about life.

My point stated more eloquently:
Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/the_war_against_reality.html#ixzz4e4leuYVy

Your understanding of history, and the role of religion in the West is severely lacking. Western society is built on Platonic philosophy/principles and by extension, Enlightenment thought. Much of what you think are "Christian principles" either pre-date Christianity or have developed alongside it.

Christianity has certainly played a role in the development of Western Society, that is an obvious truism, but Christianity itself has evolved and changed over the millenia....so its a moving target. Christianity was not some monolithic entity imposing its imprint on the Western world, rather, it was a melange of widely varied philosophies developed from a core concept centered around the teachings of Jesus. Teachings which in their original form bear striking similarities, for example, to those of Buddha. Since the very early church, concepts of what those teachings mean...and which teaching are valid...have varied dramatically.

Further, life is sacred to many varying faiths...moreso, in some cases (Buddhism for example), than is the case in Christianity...so your concern about wholesale slaughter related to the absence of Christianity is ridiculous. That sort of thing happens with and without Christianity, as has been the case throughout history. There ARE faiths, such as Islam, that encourage barbarism and brutality...but there are many others that have ethics and history far more pacifist and respecting of life.

The question of gay marriage has nothing do with religious belief...if a particular religion disapproves, it need not sanction gay  marriage within its own practice. Some faiths, including many Christian groups, do sanction marriage with THEIR practice. The problem is that government should have no role in the marriage business...it should neither recognize, nor offer benefit or detraction, to anyone based on marital status. Marriage is a private religious matter, not a governmental one.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:03:24 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Fantom

Until Sad Mirage, people could "mind their own business". Now depravity is forced into everyone's lives.

I was OK with the depraved doing what they wanted in the privacy of their own bedroom. But when the Gaystapo attacked freedom of association..Boy Scouts...thank you Trump and T- Rex ..BTW. You lose me.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I'm not sure how much God cares either, but I don't.  I think we expend valuable resources fighting this gay marriage thing.

There are a few... and I do mean a few ... male couples who have a long-term committed relationship absent of philandering and if they want to marry, I'm okay with it.

It gives them rights which otherwise would have taken several legal documents to accomplish.

Heterosexual couples have a better record but far from perfect.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The problem is that government should have no role in the marriage business...it should neither recognize, nor offer benefit or detraction, to anyone based on marital status. Marriage is a private religious matter, not a governmental one.
And leave the bakers and florists and anyone else to do business when and with whom they choose.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

I'm not sure how much God cares either, but I don't.  I think we expend valuable resources fighting this gay marriage thing.

Now it's a hate crime for a girl to refuse to shower with a boy. This fight is definitely worth fighting

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Supreme Court has reversed itself before (Plessy v. Feguson).
It could do so again.

But best not to push this issue until at least TWO more conservative justices have been seated.

Even then, success won't be guaranteed.

Frankly, this should have been addressed by the Congress about fifteen years ago, right after the state of Vermont legalized "gay" marriage -- with a Constitutional amendment defining marriage between one man and one woman.

The votes were probably there back then to ram it through, and 38 states would have surely voted to ratify it.

But it was the REPUBLICANS who backed away from the idea, proffering the "Defense of Marriage" Act instead because it was an easier way to get free of the issue.

And they're the ones to blame for "where we are" today.

(And yes, I -do- believe that gay marriage should be outlawed)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:21:16 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Fantom

And leave the bakers and florists and anyone else to do business when and with whom they choose.

888high58888

Yes! The right to discriminate is inherent in natural law.... and our Constitution. One is not obliged to labor for another under any reason but that such a labor is necessary to  the life of another.

The very foundation of freedom is enunciated in the Declaration......"Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness". In that order.

There is no reason.. in a free society, that someone can make anyone bake a cake. There is no denial of Life or Liberty for the Baker to say "No".  Only the "Pursuit of Happiness" in forcing the loss of Liberty.. a greater Freedom, of the Baker.

It is unjust.

Certainly there are areas which ones labor(liberty) is subjugated to a greater Right.. another's life. Those areas are limited. Medical is certainly a major one, which places the life of the patient above the Liberty or "Pursuit" of the practitioner.  Other needs to Life's necessities.... food, lodging, fuel. Those bring a reasonable marker of Life over Liberty..... but only a "Reasonable " Marker.

For those we have "Public Accommodation " law.

It seems to me we should apply a scale-able standard. That is, just how much public does the interest interact with? Certainly Wal Mart..for cakes, and Holiday Inn Express should be subject to "Public" accommodation. But for a Bed and Breakfast..or a Baker.. their Liberty is of greater right ...natural right, than someones "Pursuit of Happiness".

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Now it's a hate crime for a girl to refuse to shower with a boy. This fight is definitely worth fighting

That's an entirely different fight.

Offline Frank Cannon

Geez. What a pointless and incendiary exercise. Why not get the govt' out of marriage all together. They should never have been involved in it in the first place.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

There is no such thing as gay marriage.  Made up by people with an agenda.  Soon we will be passing laws so that people can marry their animals.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

There is no such thing as gay marriage.  Made up by people with an agenda.  Soon we will be passing laws so that people can marry their animals.

What the hell would it matter if they do?

Offline Chosen Daughter

What the hell would it matter if they do?

You can't be serious Frank.  It would really require a health care overhaul.  They would have to include veterinary care.  And it just might be me but I think that animals would not be consenting.

Once I read a story about a person in love with a building.

Oh, it has already happened in San Francisco

ENDTIME California Allows First Ever State Recognized Human ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2Efj5RuNw

Its sick Frank.  That's why it matters.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:27:18 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

You can't be serious Frank.  It would really require a health care overhaul.  They would have to include veterinary care.  And it just might be me but I think that animals would not be consenting.

Once I read a story about a person in love with a building.

How the hell is this different than the free for all we have going on now? Marriage used to be a religious ceremony. Now it is the equivalent of filling out a form for govt' benefits. Used to go to your church or a religious figure and had a ceremony to be wed just for the fact that you wanted to be right with God and nothing more. Now you go to the JP or some bureaucrat, sign a document and you are entitled benefits others don't have like tax and legal advantages. Some couples intentionally do not wed now to get financial goodies for their bastard kids that married couples can't get for theirs.

It's a GD three ring circus all because the govt' started sticking their nose in this matter. Now look what we got. A bucket of shit.

Offline Chosen Daughter

How the hell is this different than the free for all we have going on now? Marriage used to be a religious ceremony. Now it is the equivalent of filling out a form for govt' benefits. Used to go to your church or a religious figure and had a ceremony to be wed just for the fact that you wanted to be right with God and nothing more. Now you go to the JP or some bureaucrat, sign a document and you are entitled benefits others don't have like tax and legal advantages. Some couples intentionally do not wed now to get financial goodies for their bastard kids that married couples can't get for theirs.

It's a GD three ring circus all because the govt' started sticking their nose in this matter. Now look what we got. A bucket of shit.

I guess I misunderstood your previous post.  I thought you were advocating for human animal marriage.   Sorry.

What you say is true.

Offline Frank Cannon

I guess I misunderstood your previous post.  I thought you were advocating for human animal marriage.   Sorry.

What you say is true.

Don't really care about animal/human marriages. Most places have bestiality laws (except for possibly Cali) so those jackasses can be thrown in jail in short order. If you want to get panicked about something be worried about robot marriage. That is sitting right in front of us and IS something that will be a massive headache for a whole host of legal, religious and procreative reasons.

Just look at what the hell Real Doll has developed.....

Those are not real people. Add to that the insane leaps the Japanese are making in robotics and humans are not going to marry humans in the near future.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Don't really care about animal/human marriages. Most places have bestiality laws (except for possibly Cali) so those jackasses can be thrown in jail in short order. If you want to get panicked about something be worried about robot marriage. That is sitting right in front of us and IS something that will be a massive headache for a whole host of legal, religious and procreative reasons.

Just look at what the hell Real Doll has developed.....

Those are not real people. Add to that the insane leaps the Japanese are making in robotics and humans are not going to marry humans in the near future.

I am very afraid of robots.  There are 7 or 8 living on my street.  They are currently disguised as children... little blond moppets.  They have weapons already.... scooters, skate boards, tricycles, bicycles ... anything to run you down with.

We have reason to know that robots always turn on you eventually.

Offline Frank Cannon

I am very afraid of robots.  There are 7 or 8 living on my street.  They are currently disguised as children... little blond moppets.  They have weapons already.... scooters, skate boards, tricycles, bicycles ... anything to run you down with.

We have reason to know that robots always turn on you eventually.

Laugh all you want, but we currently have a prominent billionaire who has been at the forefront of tech breakthroughs currently building spaceships to get humanity to another planet because robots and computers are going to take over.......Elon Musk. This is going to be the issue of our time.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Laugh all you want, but we currently have a prominent billionaire who has been at the forefront of tech breakthroughs currently building spaceships to get humanity to another planet because robots and computers are going to take over.......Elon Musk. This is going to be the issue of our time.

I'm not laughing.  I've been warning my family about these robot kids for months now.  They always stay the same size... about 3 to 5 years old.  They are little blond Norman Rockwell looking tots.

There's a steep driveway on the street and they get on their weapons... tricycle, whatever... and go down that driveway at warp speed.  Smitty and I are terrified to walk down our cul de sac.