Author Topic: United Airlines Cites Wrong Rule For Illegally De-Boarding Passenger  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
United Airlines Cites Wrong Rule For Illegally De-Boarding Passenger
by John Banzhaf - Law Newz

In my belief, United Airlines is citing the wrong federal rule to justify its illegal request to force a passenger already boarded and seated to disembark so they could make room for crew members being flown to a new assignment.

Under a federal rule [14 CFR 253], commercial airlines are governed by a document known as a “Contract of Carriage” [COC], a legally binding contract which, among other things, protects the legal rights of passengers, and imposes legal duties upon carriers.  United’s COC contains two distinct sections: Rule 21 entitled “Refusal of Transport,” and Rule 25 entitled “Denied Boarding Compensation.”

United is incorrectly citing the denied boarding compensation rule in its COC, and the federal rule upon which it is based [14 CFR 250.5], to justify requiring a passenger who has already been permitted to board and taken a seat to involuntarily disembark.

But that rule, as its title and history clearly establish, applies only if an airline wishes to deny boarding to a passenger, not to remove a passenger who has already boarded an airplane.

The current federal rule grew out of a situation in which Ralph Nader was denied the opportunity to board a flight, even though he had a valid ticket.  He sued, in a case which went to the U.S. Supreme Court, and it was eventually held that he was entitled to compensation if he was denied boarding.

As a direct result, the government adopted a rule which permits a carrier to deny boarding to a ticketed passenger, but only after going through a process of seeking other passengers to give up their seats.

United’s Rule 25, as its title clearly implies, applies only to denied boarding. Thus, it uses the word “denied boarding,” and variants such as “deny boarding,” but says nothing about requiring passengers who have already boarded to give up their seats.

Indeed, it states in part, using the word “boarding” twice, that: “other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority.

Clearly, a “boarding priority” does not include or imply an involuntary removal or refusal of transport.  Moreover, under well accepted contract law, any ambiguous term in a contract must be construed against – and in the way least favorable to – the party which drafted it.

So, even if United argued that there was some ambiguity in “denied boarding” based upon “boarding priority” – and that it could possibly mean removal based upon a removal priority – a court would be forced to rule against this interpretation because United drafted the contract.

This denied boarding rule, and similar rules applying to Great Britain and the European Union, only permit denying boarding, not removing a passenger who has already boarded.  The situations under which airlines are permitted to have a passenger who has already been boarded disembark are contained in a completely separate section the United’s COC entitled “Refusal of Transport.”

Rule 21, entitled “Refusal of Transport,” is very different because it clearly and expressly covers situations in which a passenger who has already boarded the plane can be removed.  It states clearly: “Rule 21, Refusal of Transport, UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the RIGHT TO REMOVE FROM THE AIRCRAFT AT ANY POINT, any passenger for the following reasons.” [emphasis added]

The rule, which unlike the denied boarding rule does provide for removal “from the aircraft at any point,” lists some two dozen justifications including: unruly behavior, intoxication, inability to fit into one seat, medical problems or concerns, etc.  But nowhere in the list of some two dozen reasons is there anything about over booking, the need to free up seats, the need for seats to accommodate crew members to be used on a different flight etc.

This is very important because, under accepted legal principles, a law or rule which lists in detail several different factors must be read not to include other factors which were deliberately not included or listed.  So, for example, if a rule provides that a license to drive a car may be forfeited by violations of laws governing speeding, intoxication, reckless driving, or driving without a license, it cannot be read to also permit license revocation for parking violations, or for having a burned out license plate illumination light.

In this case, the failure to include over booking, or the need for additional seats, in a long list of justifications for removing a passenger “from the aircraft at any point” means that passengers may not be removed for these non-listed reasons.

The conclusion is further reinforced by the fact that there is a completely separate section of United’s COC which does deal expressly with the need for additional seats, but it provides that the concern must be dealt with by preventing passengers from boarding, not ejecting them once they have boarded.

United also seems to suggest not only that the denied boarding justification applies to ordering an already boarded passenger to give up its seat, but that the carrier did all that it could under the rule to deal with its need to accommodate additional crew members as passengers.

But in asking other passengers, as required by law, to give up their seats for monetary compensation, United offered far less than the minimum specified by the federal rule.  It also, although it clearly and legally could have done so, refused to offer more – although the Washington Post recently explained how airlines will sometimes offer passengers thousands of dollars to give up their seats.

Finally, it appears that United is seeking to blame the passenger, claiming that when asked to give up his seat, he acted belligerently – and citing a rule which requires that passengers obey the orders of the flight crew.  But, such a requirement applies only to orders which are lawful.

If, for example, the flight crew had ordered two passengers to fight each other for the amusement of the other passengers, or to take off all their clothing, the passengers would not be required to comply, and their forceful removal could not be based upon refusing to follow unlawful orders.

Once someone in possession of a valid ticket has been seated – whether on an airplane, a train or bus, or at the symphony – he cannot be ordered to give up that which he has a valid contractual right to enjoy, simply because his seat is needed for someone else.

While it is of course permissible to remove a seated person is such a situation for unruly behavior, drunkenness, to deal with a medical emergency, etc. – as spelled out here in United’s Rule 21 – simple over booking can only be dealt with by denying boarding originally, pursuant to United’s Rule 25.

John F. Banzhaf III is a professor of public interest law at the George Washington University Law School.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/united-cites-wrong-rule-for-illegally-de-boarding-passenger/
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: United Airlines Cites Wrong Rule For Illegally De-Boarding Passenger
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »
I read another legal analysis, which said the passenger was already "boarded," so he could not be denied boarding.

And it also said the criteria for denial of transport clearly did not include displacing passengers for airline employees' transport instead.

This man gonna have a big payday, and United has lost a lot of "reputation."

As an old guy, I note the increase in our volume of information, has been met with an appalling decline in our business managements skills.

The common thread that I see, is lack of respect for the paying customer.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:24:04 pm »
Nearly everything I read about this incident calls it "overbooking."  It wasn't.  This guy was forcibly removed to accommodate a United employee who did not "book" his or her trip to Louisville. 

But right or wrong, and no matter how many airlines would do the same in a similar situation or in a real overbooking situation, United still handled the matter poorly and it will pay dearly in more ways than one. 

As the saying goes, it's all about the optics.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:31:57 pm »
@truth_seeker

In some other threads I've praised  Southwest, Chick-fil-A and Amazon.  These companies know what the term "customer service" means and they could teach these idiots with Harvard Business or Wharton School degrees a thing or two about taking care of the customer.   Apparently, customer service is not taught  in institutions of higher learning. It's common sense, really.  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat people as you would like to be treated.  Why is the concept of "customer service" so hard?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:57:51 pm »
@truth_seeker

In some other threads I've praised  Southwest, Chick-fil-A and Amazon.  These companies know what the term "customer service" means and they could teach these idiots with Harvard Business or Wharton School degrees a thing or two about taking care of the customer.   Apparently, customer service is not taught  in institutions of higher learning. It's common sense, really.  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat people as you would like to be treated.  Why is the concept of "customer service" so hard?

Common sense isn't all that common anymore.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
@truth_seeker

I studied then worked in Corporate roles, from late 60s to early 90s, including an officer role spanning HR, Finance, etc.

Common sense can't be taught in University classes. Classes in Ethics and in Customer Relations, depend on common sense, which isn't so common anymore.

Corporations are never punished enough, to really discourage bad behavior and practices.

Many corporations these days, are too big to fail, or it takes a long time.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:13 pm »
I'm not in favor of any government punishment, such as removal of gates.  I expect United will be punished enough in the private sector.  Company stock has declined, and I'm sure if passengers have a choice, they will migrate to the competition. And that's on top of an anticipated lawsuit by the forcibly removed passenger.  United stepped in it big time and it will have to come up with ways to restore its severely damaged reputation.  If the company fails to woo back customers, expect the airline to go under sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:07:24 pm by Applewood »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »
Nearly everything I read about this incident calls it "overbooking."  It wasn't.  This guy was forcibly removed to accommodate a United employee who did not "book" his or her trip to Louisville. 

You make it sound arbitrary, but it wasn't.  The United employees in question were flight crew who were needed in Louisville to fly a different plane. 

But right or wrong, and no matter how many airlines would do the same in a similar situation or in a real overbooking situation, United still handled the matter poorly and it will pay dearly in more ways than one. 

They put themselves in a bind, but the guy got crossways with the cops, not with United. 

Manufactured or otherwise....

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:00 am »
Finally, it appears that United is seeking to blame the passenger, claiming that when asked to give up his seat, he acted belligerently – and citing a rule which requires that passengers obey the orders of the flight crew.  But, such a requirement applies only to orders which are lawful.

If, for example, the flight crew had ordered two passengers to fight each other for the amusement of the other passengers, or to take off all their clothing, the passengers would not be required to comply, and their forceful removal could not be based upon refusing to follow unlawful orders.

I read another legal analysis, which said the passenger was already "boarded," so he could not be denied boarding.

And it also said the criteria for denial of transport clearly did not include displacing passengers for airline employees' transport instead.

This man gonna have a big payday, and United has lost a lot of "reputation."

As an old guy, I note the increase in our volume of information, has been met with an appalling decline in our business managements skills.

The common thread that I see, is lack of respect for the paying customer.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 12:18:47 am »

I am glad that the rampant mistreatment of United customers has finally made national news.

30K customer complaints.

www.untied.com

geronl

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 04:19:49 am »
I am glad that the rampant mistreatment of United customers has finally made national news.

30K customer complaints.

www.untied.com

30,000 complaints over how many years? on how many flights? how many passengers have they had in the same time period? They have less than 2.000 reviews on consumer affairs.

Their website says that in 2016: 4,523 Daily Departures; 143 Million passengers in 2016 alone. Sort of makes 30,000 complaints sound trivial.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 06:55:08 pm »
You make it sound arbitrary, but it wasn't.  The United employees in question were flight crew who were needed in Louisville to fly a different plane.

How was it not arbitrary when the definition of the word is "unrestrained and autocratic in the use of authority"?

They asked for people to voluntarily give up their seats and once people did not, they chose who they would remove and employed force to do so IN VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE FEDERAL LAWS.

P.S. Their needs do not translate into any paying and seated customer's obligation to change their plans.

They put themselves in a bind, but the guy got crossways with the cops, not with United.

The strongest word in freedom's dictionary is "no". If that's getting crosswise then good for him. He had the law and the right to refuse to be bullied, and he exercised it. 

Manufactured or otherwise....

Had UA acted within the limits of applicable Federal laws nothing would have happened. If anyone "manufactured" this it was their employees.

They could have put their employees on another carrier.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 07:27:10 pm »
They could have put their employees on another carrier.

No, they couldn't. It's in the contract. If you are required to position in order to work, the airline must carry you on one of their flights.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:11:49 am »
30,000 complaints over how many years? on how many flights? how many passengers have they had in the same time period? They have less than 2.000 reviews on consumer affairs.

Their website says that in 2016: 4,523 Daily Departures; 143 Million passengers in 2016 alone. Sort of makes 30,000 complaints sound trivial.

Only a tiny percentage will be reported to this site.  Why the special pleading for United?

Have not seen anything like a collection of this for other airlines.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:13:43 am »
No, they couldn't. It's in the contract. If you are required to position in order to work, the airline must carry you on one of their flights.

Yes they could.

1) better capacity planning
2) ground transportation
3) use another airline
4) offer more compensation.

All would have been far cheaper than the current situation.

Take away their gates.   Government granted monopoly . 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 04:52:44 am »

The actual governing contract here is United Airline's Contract of Carriage and Federal Law. UA violated both.

The airline must GET YOU to wherever you need to go to, not carry you there.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 05:21:14 am »
The other problem is airlines have virtual monopolies in the cities they fly out of, so there's no incentive for good customer service.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:21:37 am by dfwgator »