Author Topic: Texas may name an official state gun. And it might be the cannon.  (Read 942 times)

Online corbe

Texas may name an official state gun. And it might be the cannon.

by Circa News
April 9, 2017

Every state has "official" things in weird categories. Maryland's official sport is jousting. Oklahoma and Utah have an official folk dance (square dancing).

And now Texas might name a state gun. If a bill in the state senate passes, it might be the cannon, The Guardian reports. It already passed a legislative committee on Thursday.

It's not the only proposal for a state weapon. Another proposed bill would make the 1847 Colt Walker pistol the state handgun, and another aims to make the Bowie knife the state knife.

Texas wouldn't be the first state to designate an official state weapon. Utah made the Browning M1911 pistol the official state gun in 2011. Arizona, Indiana, West Virginia, Alaska, Pennsylvania and Tennessee also have official state guns, ranging from revolvers to the Barrett M82 rifle.

"Obviously the cannon is the most significant symbol we have for the state of Texas..."

—Don Huffines, Texas State Senator

State Sen. Don Huffines, a Republican, said the cannon shouldn't anger gun control advocates since cannons are "symbolic." There are multiple cannons in downtown Austin, and every University of Texas home football game begins with a blast from Smokey the Cannon.

"We don't have people down here complaining about cannon control," Huffines said.

<..snip..>

http://circa.com/circa-now/trending/texas-may-name-cannon-official-state-gun

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Texas may name an official state gun. And it might be the cannon.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:19 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:21:51 am »
If they do, I'll fire mine on Texas Independence Day. Unless they designate another day to fire your cannon. Mine's a lil one, only a one inch bore, but it'll still roar and I have a ball mold for it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:40:18 am »
One of the things I love about Texans. Their subtlety.  :tongue2:

Seriously though, it's appropriate.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink