Author Topic: Too much Tinder: Why some single people are experiencing a dating burnout  (Read 13574 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
That's an interesting thought, @mirraflake.  I think marrying clearmindedly might work out just fine, especially for more....um, mature people.  They're probably way ahead of the game if they are are already good friends with their spouse-to-be.

Exactly. We've already seen each other at our best and at our worst. There really aren't many secrets or surprises. We have a near 50 year relationship behind us and already have a solid loving bond between us built over years. I'm not talking about years of seeing each other occasionally, I'm talking about years of seeing each other every day often multiple times per day.

After my grandfather died in 2000 my grandmother developed a much closer relationship with "norm" a man she had known since childhood. Norm's wife was still living but was in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease and there was no point in hovering at her bedside for the rest of his life. Their relationship consisted of shopping together, going to church together, Norm spending holidays with our family.

Online roamer_1

roamer_1 wrote:
"She's already measured me out for new buckskins...."

Heh.
Does this gal have a sister ??

Nope. Last of her immediate line. Keep on looking...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't go near sites like Tinder or Craigslist for a dozen different reasons.

The kind of people on those sites are not people who i want to know or be associated with. And I damn sure don't want them to know where I live.

Even if you meet them at a neutral place, you can't be sure if it is a setup for a mugging. I know that may seem paranoid and cynical, but that simply how I think based on my life experience.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:24:51 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cripplecreek

Not cliche at all... That's better than anything elsewhere. There's more to it at our age than what folks are looking for. That she has long standing with yourself and especially your family makes for a pretty good pick, in my mind.

Exactly. Some folks are just too fixated on the idea of marriage for reproduction or sex. I've never seen anything in the bible prohibiting marriage among older people.

Marriage for companionship and economic advantage makes perfect sense to me.

Online roamer_1

Exactly. Some folks are just too fixated on the idea of marriage for reproduction or sex. I've never seen anything in the bible prohibiting marriage among older people.

YUP... And if there's sex along with all that, more's the better :)

I refuse to put my family through the trauma involved in a rotating door where the grandma ought to be. If there ever is gonna be one there, it will be THE one, and only that if she fits with the rest.

It's tough to be that way for me - I would much rather get all twitterpated and run off to Vegas, like I would have in my youth... But that ain't what love is about anyway, and I am damn well old enough to know it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It ain't the woman that's the problem... It's the whole kit and kaboodle. That ranch means everything to her, and she's desperately held on to it against all odds, to have a legacy to hand down to a family she doesn't have (she lost her husband early on, and later her son). I have everything she needs... Mainly a big, well adjusted, non-alcoholic family, with strong sons, and grandchildren.  It was her father's ranch, and she's seeing the need to pass it down...

But I'll tell you what, Joe, If I sign on, that ranch will likely drive me right into the ground. Just to get ready to start fixin what needs to be fixed to start actually fixin will take a couple years. YEARS, dude. The hay truck needs an engine, the 1T needs a tranny... the 4-horse needs a new deck, brakes, and an axle... The tractor has been broke for better than 15 years, which means all the implements have been sitting still all that time... The saw mill hasn't turned since her old man died... Everything needs paint. Shoot, the driveway is bad enough you dang near need 4wd to get up it... She wants it all back. She needs it set right.

I never thought I'd see the day I could go cowboying again. I gave up all thought of having a ranch nigh on thirty years ago... But this is almost worse than starting from scratch, as she sets store by every single thing... and as gimped up as I am, I don't know that I am up to the task, I really don't.

I'd surely hate to let her down, and that just might kill me. :)
Well, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Well, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  :laugh:

Stronger smellin, maybe  :shrug:

Offline Victoria33

I see nothing wrong is saying what you want. Better than beating around the bush and wasting time. If a woman did not want my hobbies as part of her life don't waste my time and vica versa. I know plenty of women who love motorcycles, own them and love to ride. having a pic of your motorcycle is a eye catcher and instant possible bond if she likes them as well.
Why in today's societies articles are written everywhere what men need to do at work, in the bedroom and life to please  a woman and make them happy? You never see artickles written what women need to do today to make men happy.

It goes both ways.  Men AND women should consider the needs of the other when on a single's site.  That is where Bob and I found each other.  It was a meeting of the minds.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It goes both ways.  Men AND women should consider the needs of the other when on a single's site.  That is where Bob and I found each other.  It was a meeting of the minds.
Indeed, and whenever possible, that's how it should be.

I've been trying to find someone who's close to my level. Interests don't really matter too much to me, since I have my own and I really don't feel a need to force a potential partner into doing everything together. The travel-the-world types tend to get me a little uncomfortable since it sends the signal that they're really not ready to settle into things, but other than that, it's pretty much you do you, and I'll do me.

The problem I've run into is that, much like what I've run into trying to expand my social life in the "real world," there are indeed very few women around here, and even fewer that fit what I'm looking for. When I try to expand my radius, I sometimes find a few more, but then I run into the problem of them living in cities—I might be willing to date someone 50 miles away and do most of the traveling, but they won't consider anyone outside 10 miles and I simply don't have that luxury.

I've tried looking for good matches, but every time I send a message (usually along the lines of "we seem to have a lot in common; it'd be nice to get to know you a little better"), even if the person seems like a near perfect match, she ignores me. With so few people to consider, the options are quickly exhausted and after only a few weeks I'm burnt out, much like the article says—and being where I'm at, I don't seem to get noticed and I rarely get any messages from anyone. I don't want to feel like I'm settling.

So, short of basically uprooting my whole life and starting over somewhere else, I don't have much hope.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Idiot

I've been trying to find someone who's close to my level. Interests don't really matter too much to me, since I have my own and I really don't feel a need to force a potential partner into doing everything together. The travel-the-world types tend to get me a little uncomfortable since it sends the signal that they're really not ready to settle into things, but other than that, it's pretty much you do you, and I'll do me.

The problem I've run into is that, much like what I've run into trying to expand my social life in the "real world," there are indeed very few women around here, and even fewer that fit what I'm looking for. When I try to expand my radius, I sometimes find a few more, but then I run into the problem of them living in cities—I might be willing to date someone 50 miles away and do most of the traveling, but they won't consider anyone outside 10 miles and I simply don't have that luxury.

I've tried looking for good matches, but every time I send a message (usually along the lines of "we seem to have a lot in common; it'd be nice to get to know you a little better"), even if the person seems like a near perfect match, she ignores me. With so few people to consider, the options are quickly exhausted and after only a few weeks I'm burnt out, much like the article says—and being where I'm at, I don't seem to get noticed and I rarely get any messages from anyone. I don't want to feel like I'm settling.

So, short of basically uprooting my whole life and starting over somewhere else, I don't have much hope.
Sure you have hope buddy....

Pray for a mate....God will provide...He always does.  Just be a prayer warrior about it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Not a bad idea - temporarily.

Take a holiday. Get away from home for a couple weeks. Not for a holiday fling (they happen, sure, but that's not what you're out for) but to refresh yourself. When you get back home, the old, familiar, boring crap is new again. So are the old, familiar, boring faces.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mirraflake

Just move in together for companionship and economic advantage then. For a marriage to work there has to be romance and attraction and love but not in the sense of loving ,my sister or woman friends..  What you would have is not a marriage in any sense.

Again if you friend was the interested in you she would have made her intentions clear years ago. Move on and find a woman who loves you as a lover and is physically attracted to you and stop wasting each others times on something that will never happen.

@Cripplecreek

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Again if you friend was the interested in you she would have made her intentions clear years ago. Move on and find a woman who loves you as a lover and is physically attracted to you and stop wasting each others times on something that will never happen.
You make the faulty assumption that someone like that is guaranteed to exist. It's not.

As the old Stephen Stills song goes, "if you can't be with...one you love, love the one you're with."

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Meh... I love my wife and I enjoy married life. That being said, i miss some things about the single life too.

I think you're looking at things from a glass half empty perspective.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Take a holiday. Get away from home for a couple weeks. Not for a holiday fling (they happen, sure, but that's not what you're out for) but to refresh yourself. When you get back home, the old, familiar, boring crap is new again. So are the old, familiar, boring faces.

That's probably what I would do - hope I never have to find out.

I imagine I'd go to the Riviera Maya, lots of bang for the buck.  Half the people don't speak English, the jungle the beach and sand, plus a friendly bartender all have a way of freeing the mind.

Offline Cripplecreek

Just move in together for companionship and economic advantage then. For a marriage to work there has to be romance and attraction and love but not in the sense of loving ,my sister or woman friends..  What you would have is not a marriage in any sense.

@Cripplecreek

The best advice of all is to never take advice from someone on the internet.

Online roamer_1

The best advice of all is to never take advice from someone on the internet.

I wonder how some would have survived the most of civilized history, where the fathers arranged the marriages?
What is called 'love' these days is overrated. Love is grown. Cultivated. And it can easily be found realized in folks that started out as friends.

More power to ya, @Cripplecreek

Offline Idiot

I wonder how some would have survived the most of civilized history, where the fathers arranged the marriages?
What is called 'love' these days is overrated. Love is grown. Cultivated. And it can easily be found realized in folks that started out as friends.

I can't even imagine having a mate chosen for you.  I kind of know how my luck of the draw would have worked out...lol.

Heck...I don't even buy lottery tickets...lol.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:53:43 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I can't even imagine having a mate chosen for you.  I kind of know how my luck of the draw would have worked out...lol.

Got a couple really good friends who are both in arranged marriages. It's worked out for them, despite some initial misgivings.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

Part of me wishes I could just go all Apostle Paul on the world and say I don't need it... but I'm flesh and blood. My reason for living is, essentially, to reproduce. If I die without doing that, biologically speaking, my whole life has been wasted. Furthermore I want to make sure that the offspring I do create is healthy and a net plus (or, at the very least, not a burden) to society, as I'd like to think I am, but the longer I wait, the higher that child's risk is of having serious problems, not the least of which is autism.

As a society, we can't keep going down this road of having fewer and fewer children at older and older ages. We can cut back on child-bearing if there are too many, but if too few are born to sustain it, you end up in a death spiral. I don't want a huge family by any means but I would like at least one healthy offspring to outlive me. To that end I'm seriously considering becoming a sperm donor at this point.

Have you considered joining an organization like Big Brother?  Taking your focus off finding a "life partner" and focusing on expanding those you interact with for your life goals may bring you in contact with those suitable for the former.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

Heck...I don't even buy lottery tickets...lol.

I dunno.. there's something to it... Especially when one considers that divorce was nearly non-existent. Folks had to just work it out... and they did. Turns out that most loved each other in the end. It's a whole nuther thing today, where folks 'love' each other in the beginning, but most bail out when the going gets tough...

Offline Cripplecreek

My great grandmother was never one for sugar coating things  so she never hid the fact that her first husband ran off on her during the depression leaving her with 5 kids. She also didn't sugar coat the fact that the man I knew as my great grandfather she married out of necessity and grew to love him later.

As she said, it took a strong man to take on a woman and 5 kids in the depression.

Online roamer_1

My great grandmother was never one for sugar coating things  so she never hid the fact that her first husband ran off on her during the depression leaving her with 5 kids. She also didn't sugar coat the fact that the man I knew as my great grandfather she married out of necessity and grew to love him later.

As she said, it took a strong man to take on a woman and 5 kids in the depression.

It never ceases to amaze me how adversity can show the true colors of a hoomin bean. And it is in adversity (I think) that true love grows.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It never ceases to amaze me how adversity can show the true colors of a hoomin bean. And it is in adversity (I think) that true love grows.
And yet, to start a relationship these days, you need to show all the signs of material wealth. Money, big truck, house, etc.

Online roamer_1

And yet, to start a relationship these days, you need to show all the signs of material wealth. Money, big truck, house, etc.

I am poor as a church mouse, yet I am doing alright. Any woman that is looking for those things ain't worth going after.