Author Topic: Trump's Syria Strike Was Unconstitutional and Unwise  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump's Syria Strike Was Unconstitutional and Unwise
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2017, 12:40:10 am »
Trump haters have already used Trump's tweets that spoke against intervention but it is not proving to be that effective.

He was in a far different position then.

If tweets can haunt one, Trump would never sleep another night, but I suspect it doesn't bother him that much.

Excuses, excuses for everything.  This Syria strike was major wag the dog!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2017, 12:42:10 am »
Is there any way to get you to shut up?

Your just plain rude. 22222frying pan
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2017, 03:26:59 am »
Your just plain rude. 22222frying pan

Your You are, or You're
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2017, 04:47:42 am »
I support President Trump on this.  Nothing unconstitutional about it either.  There once was a day when America stood against chemical warfare.  It is good to see that America return.  I hope it holds.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 05:51:28 am »
Your You are, or You're

Oh thank you so much.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2017, 06:01:36 am »
What Trump should have done was he should have attacked Libya with an wholly illegal war, without Congressional authorization and without consultation or approval of the U.N. and without any coherent reason or justification. Which led to a leader of a sovereign nation being captured, and then having a knife stuck up his butt, before being hung by Al Qaida terrorists.

That would be something the idiot, lunatic, Liberals could really support and stand for.
I believe Syria was to be the last in the string of destabilized governments around the Med for the 'Arab Spring', a Hillary/Obama production. The Egyptian military and people broke that up a little by ousting Mursi, and the American people themselves didn't want to start anything in Syria (Their civil war, let them settle it themselves).

The Liberals, considering the above objective, effectively pushing the Caliphate and generating 'refugees' to spread into Europe, would be ecstatic at Assad being deposed. That sort of chaos brings opportunity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2017, 06:06:42 am »

@driftdiver

Yeah, it's just a "police action".

And a semiautomatic isn't an arm.

And Islam isn't a religion.

And the Internet isn't the press or speech.

Tyranny loves playing with language.

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."
George Orwell 1984

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2017, 06:15:20 am »
I believe Syria was to be the last in the string of destabilized governments around the Med for the 'Arab Spring', a Hillary/Obama production. The Egyptian military and people broke that up a little by ousting Mursi, and the American people themselves didn't want to start anything in Syria (Their civil war, let them settle it themselves).

The Liberals, considering the above objective, effectively pushing the Caliphate and generating 'refugees' to spread into Europe, would be ecstatic at Assad being deposed. That sort of chaos brings opportunity.

The Case Against Another Intervention in Syria

By Daniel Larison • April 6, 2017, 6:56 PM 

The destruction of Syria: made in America? (Volodymyr Borodin / Shutterstock.com)

The case for attacking the Syrian government remains as weak and unpersuasive as ever, and the reasons not to do it make much more sense. Regardless, Trump appears to be seriously considering launching an illegal attack on the Syrian government on the dubious grounds that “something should happen.” I have talked about the potential dangers of such an attack for years, so regular readers will already be very familiar with what I’m going to say, but I will offer a quick summary of why the attack shouldn’t happen.

The U.S. has no authority or right to strike at the Syrian government without U.N. authorization, and that authorization won’t be forthcoming. Despite the conceit that the U.S. is the world’s “policeman,” our government has no right to launch a war against another government because of its alleged war crimes. Possible strikes are being described as a punitive measure, but our government is not the world’s appointed executioner and our military should not be used for that purpose. Put simply, attacking the Syrian government would be illegal, which would be all the more ridiculous when the attack is being carried out ostensibly in the name of upholding international order.

The U.S. cannot pretend that it is enforcing any U.N. resolutions, and it is not acting in self-defense or the defense of a treaty ally. An attack on the Syrian government would also be difficult to justify in other terms. There is little likelihood that an attack would deter further use of chemical weapons, and it is more likely to help drag out and intensify the current conflict rather than hasten its end. If the ultimate goal is or becomes regime change, that will produce even greater evils than the ones the attack is supposed to prevent. Even if regime change is not the goal, it is difficult to see how killing more Syrians makes anything better. Joining in the carnage in Syria will not help the civilian population, but will most likely subject them to additional suffering. Insofar as an attack significantly weakens the regime, it would benefit only jihadists and their allies, and doing that makes no sense.

No U.S. interests are threatened by the Syrian government, and at present the Syrian government’s patrons are to some degree on the same side as our government in their hostility to ISIS. Attacking the Syrian government would be a boon to jihadists, the start of a new and unnecessary war for the U.S., possible direct confrontation with Iran and its proxies in Iraq and Syria, and a potentially disastrous provocation of a nuclear-armed major power. Trump is always emphasizing how the U.S. gets nothing from its foreign wars, so it bears repeating that the U.S. would most certainly get nothing from picking another fight in the region except increased costs and new enemies.

End excerpt

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/the-case-against-another-intervention-in-syria/

Seems like it is mainly liberals that support Trumps bombing.  And McLame who likes to give arms to terrorists in Syria. There are news stories out that indicate the administration are thinking that Assad has no place in Syria now.  Regime change.  America just say no.

BTW Assad is supported by the Christians in Syria.  They fear McLames rebels.

And more response from Conservatives including Senator Ted Cruz

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/04/gop-foreign-policy-factions-revealed-in-response-to-trump-and-syria-missile-strike
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:23:59 am by Chosen Daughter »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2017, 06:16:54 am »
UN much loved by Code Pink Republicans, however. 

I would wager that if there are any Republicans in that image they are on horseback.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2017, 06:22:26 am »

Presidents in the past have done quick military strikes. What needs Congressional approval are for major military actions..
What needs Congressional approval are continued military actions..
One-off, is one thing, but then subsequent action needs Congressional approval to continue.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2017, 06:33:28 am »
What needs Congressional approval are continued military actions..
One-off, is one thing, but then subsequent action needs Congressional approval to continue.

He isn't going to get Conservative approvals for this:

Republican leaders in Washington, including Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), and Senators McCain (R-AZ), Graham (R-SC), and Corker (R-TN), are supporting President Obama’s call for an American attack on Syria, but Tea Party groups around the country are united in their opposition to such military action.
Tea Party activists appear to be virtually unanimous in their support for the position taken by Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), who said on Tuesday the United States “should not serve as Al-Qaeda’s Air Force.”

Lynn Moss, co-organizer of the Mid-South Tea Party in Memphis, Tennessee, expressed a view held by many Tea Party activists around the country. Moss told Breitbart News on Thursday, “both sides of the conflict in Syria are enemies of the United States. It would be foolish,” she said, “and self-defeating to involve ourselves in this already volatile situation.”

Joanne Jones, vice chairman of the Charleston Tea Party in South Carolina, told Breitbart News Thursday that “conservatives of many stripes are opposed to U.S. military intervention in Syria. Particularly in light of today’s account of al Qaeda-linked rebels murdering residents of a Christian village, it is becoming increasingly difficult to convince us that the United States would indeed be helping the ‘right’ rebels.”

Bobby Alexander, chairman of the Central Kentucky Tea Party Patriots, told Mother Jones, “[c]onservatives in Kentucky do not want us involved in Syria.” John Kemper of the United Kentucky Tea Party added, “[t]he things I’m seeing and emails I’m getting from folks around the state, they’re not in favor of [an American attack on Syria.]”

Mark Kevin Lloyd, a Tea Party activist in Virginia, told Breitbart News that “the Obama administration and some in the Republican leadership seems overly concerned about the president’s credibility in the eyes of the world. Both President Obama and Speaker Boehner need to understand they each have the same credibility problems in the eyes of the American people.

“How can the president be so sure of the situation in Syria, and so clueless about Benghazi? Too many questions, not nearly enough answers.”

Bruce Carroll, chairman of Carolina Conservatives United, told Breitbart News, “we share the humanitarian concern for the Syrian people who have been killed and injured by conventional weapons and chemical weapons and the millions of refugees that are suffering due to that nation’s two-year civil war.

For Carroll, though, such concerns do not justify American intervention. “We strongly believe the situation in Syria will not improve, and could well deteriorate, due to American military involvement,” he said. “Additionally, we do not believe President Obama has adequately made the case that any national security interests are at stake, a minimum requirement for military actions abroad.”

Mark West, founder of the Chattanooga Tea Party in Tennessee told Breitbart News Thursday: “while Americans have come to expect flawed and disastrous foreign policy decisions from the Obama administration, what is alarming is the foolish part that Republicans are playing in embracing and facilitating Obama’s latest plan to attack Syria.”

According to West, “what should be painfully obvious to any alert American is that Obama’s plan (and now his Republican allies’) to launch “limited” attacks into a highly volatile war zone has the strong likelihood of
Tea Party Groups Nationwide Unite Against American Attack on Syria

escalating into a broader and protracted war. And if this occurs, Tennesseans will remember the fateful role that Senator Corker and other Republicans played in endorsing another one of Obama’s helter-skelter foreign policy initiatives.”

Though President Obama maintains he does not need Congressional authorization to conduct military action against Syria, he has nonetheless agreed to ask for Congressional support, without promising that he will be bound by votes taken in the House and Senate on the issue. On Wednesday, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 10 to 7 to support President Obama’s call for an American air strike on Syria. Votes in the full Senate as well as in the House are expected to take place soon.

With those important votes looming, members of the Senate and the House are hearing from their constituents, the vast majority of whom oppose such action, according to recent polls. The virtually unanimous sentiment of Tea Party activists appears to be leading public opinion throughout the country in its opposition to American military attacks on Syria.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/09/05/local-tea-party-groups-around-the-country-united-in-opposition-to-american-attack-on-syria/

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 07:39:07 am »
Not that any of us care but does violate the UN charter, which the US is a party to.

Summary:
  • Yes, it was illegal.
  • It's not clear we struck the guilty party.
  • It helps ISIS and al-Qaeda.
  • But, it did successfully serve the Administration in demonstrating strength and resolve, and it defused the Russia-connection issue.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 08:36:37 am »
"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."
George Orwell 1984

*****rollingeyes*****
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!