Author Topic: Outlook good for statewide texting-while-driving ban, key lawmakers say  (Read 2119 times)

Offline thackney

Outlook good for statewide texting-while-driving ban, key lawmakers say
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/austin-bus-crash-brings-concerns-about-texting-and-driving-ban/
APRIL 4, 2017

After pushing the issue for nearly a decade, key lawmakers in the Texas Legislature are optimistic that a statewide texting-while-driving ban is within reach.

Texas is one of four states that do not have a statewide ban on texting and driving. That distinction has drawn renewed attention in recent days following an accident in West Texas in which a truck driver who was texting and driving crashed into a church bus and killed 13 senior citizens.

State Rep. Tom Craddick, R-Midland, author of the texting ban bill that recently passed the House, said about the accident: “It’s a tragic situation. It’s a wasted situation.”

Craddick, who has pushed for the ban for four sessions in a row, offered condolences to the victims, their families and the church in a statement last week.

“No message or e-mail is important enough to risk injury or death while driving on our Texas roadways," Craddick said.

If Texas had passed a texting-while-driving ban when Craddick first filed a bill creating one in 2011, Texas would have been the ninth state to pass such a law, he said. If House Bill 62 passes this session, it will be the 47th....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Bill:    HB 62
Legislative Session: 85(R)   Council Document: 85R 3511 JXC-F   
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB62

Relating to the use of a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle; creating a criminal offense; modifying existing criminal penalties.

HBi62, as amended, was passed by (Record 90): 114 Yeas, 32 Nays, 1 Present, not voting - 03/16/2017    
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The lives of many people these days, revolve around addictive behavior with their electronic devices.

Much like obsessions and manic behavior. One cannot or will not stop one's self.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idiot

Outlook good for statewide texting-while-driving ban, key lawmakers say
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/austin-bus-crash-brings-concerns-about-texting-and-driving-ban/
APRIL 4, 2017

After pushing the issue for nearly a decade, key lawmakers in the Texas Legislature are optimistic that a statewide texting-while-driving ban is within reach.

Texas is one of four states that do not have a statewide ban on texting and driving. That distinction has drawn renewed attention in recent days following an accident in West Texas in which a truck driver who was texting and driving crashed into a church bus and killed 13 senior citizens.

State Rep. Tom Craddick, R-Midland, author of the texting ban bill that recently passed the House, said about the accident: “It’s a tragic situation. It’s a wasted situation.”

Craddick, who has pushed for the ban for four sessions in a row, offered condolences to the victims, their families and the church in a statement last week.

“No message or e-mail is important enough to risk injury or death while driving on our Texas roadways," Craddick said.

If Texas had passed a texting-while-driving ban when Craddick first filed a bill creating one in 2011, Texas would have been the ninth state to pass such a law, he said. If House Bill 62 passes this session, it will be the 47th....
This is a good law.  Will it stop it....not likely. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I hope not.

Same mentality that does that wants to remove guns due to gun deaths.

Stupid rationale.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I hope not.

Same mentality that does that wants to remove guns due to gun deaths.

Stupid rationale.

They're not talking about removing or even immobilizing mobile phones.  Just saying the driver can't text while driving.  Sort of like you can't drink alcohol while driving. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
They're not talking about removing or even immobilizing mobile phones.  Just saying the driver can't text while driving.  Sort of like you can't drink alcohol while driving.

Or clip your toenails while driving.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Or clip your toenails while driving.

True.  I miss those days.

Offline dfwgator

Mr. Bean would never make it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNV0mc_cpQ0

Offline Frank Cannon

These laws are unenforceable and pointless.....

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/texting-bans-dont-reduce-crashes-effects-are-slight-crash-increases

Last I checked automobile controls were the top cause of distractions.

Re: Outlook good for statewide texting-while-driving ban, key lawmakers say
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »
stopping people from adjusting radio controls in a car would be even more helpful.

Why not go ahead and do that while they are at it?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 02:07:21 pm »
stopping people from adjusting radio controls in a car would be even more helpful.

Why not go ahead and do that while they are at it?

So, you're ok with texting while driving, or no laws regarding texting while driving, or laws banning distracted driving, or no laws regarding what you do when you drive, or what?  I'm not sure what your point is except to whinge about driving laws in general.  Is that correct?

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:50 pm »
So, you're ok with texting while driving, or no laws regarding texting while driving, or laws banning distracted driving, or no laws regarding what you do when you drive, or what?  I'm not sure what your point is except to whinge about driving laws in general.  Is that correct?
Like any other conservative, I am against the irrational throttling of freedoms.

Am I against texting while driving? Of course, it is both stupid and dangerous.  Am I for taking away freedoms of all drivers for the irresposuble behavior of a few?  No way.

People will behave stupidly at times.  Do not restrict all for the actions of a few.

Also, you mentioned drinking while driving. That is stupid too.  But the law is now twisted to disallow ANY open beverage in a car. That is not drinking while driving.

If you wish to totally protect people, ban ALL driving then.  I prefer to target those amongst us who did not grow up with proper supervision and deal with them appropriately.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:09:42 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 07:25:34 pm »
L....

If you wish to totally protect people, ban ALL driving then.  I prefer to target those amongst us who did not grow up with proper supervision and deal with them appropriately.

That's great and all, but as a long-time medic, turns out that the impaired driver usually suffers fewer injuries than his/her innocent victims.  You can "deal with them" but that doesn't recover lost or irreparably damaged lives.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:57:52 pm »
That's great and all, but as a long-time medic, turns out that the impaired driver usually suffers fewer injuries than his/her innocent victims.  You can "deal with them" but that doesn't recover lost or irreparably damaged lives.
so ban all drivers.  That would save your grief.

But most of us would oppose that.

We are incrementally sapping our freedoms.

You and I lived without the onerous laws which take away freedoms.  You wish to deny our protege of that same freedom.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:01 pm »
so ban all drivers.  That would save your grief.

But most of us would oppose that.

We are incrementally sapping our freedoms.

You and I lived without the onerous laws which take away freedoms.  You wish to deny our protege of that same freedom.

Or.....hey, I got!  Do things that discourage texting while driving, like make there a penalty for it.  See - it wasn't quite so binary.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 01:06:14 am »
Or.....hey, I got!  Do things that discourage texting while driving, like make there a penalty for it.  See - it wasn't quite so binary.
I believe we have similar objectives, just different ways to get there, right?

I do not consider myself a Rand Paul libertarian, but do wish to not erode freedoms further.

Education does a lot.  We need to use it more productively.

BTW, do you think the illegals driving around our streets care about a texting law?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 01:53:17 am »
I believe we have similar objectives, just different ways to get there, right?

I do not consider myself a Rand Paul libertarian, but do wish to not erode freedoms further.

Education does a lot.  We need to use it more productively.

BTW, do you think the illegals driving around our streets care about a texting law?

I agree that social pressure can be very effective.

No, illegal aliens, by definition do not care about our laws.