Author Topic: Idaho’s $4.3 Million Solar Road Generates Enough Power To Run ONE Microwave  (Read 1009 times)

Offline endicom

Daily Caller
Andrew Follett
Apr. 3, 2017

An expensive solar road project in Idaho can’t even power a microwave most days, according to the project’s energy data.

The Solar FREAKIN’ Roadways project generated an average of 0.62 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per day since it began publicly posting power data in late March. To put that in perspective, the average microwave or blow drier consumes about 1 kWh per day.

More... http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/03/idahos-4-3-million-solar-road-generates-enough-power-to-run-one-microwave/

If it saves one frozen burrito then it's worth it.

geronl

It was a dumb idea and the experiment is a failure. I hope they turn off the money for it.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
In terms of the government bang-for-the-buck scale, I'd say this one is a resounding success.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Remember when this was going to be the brilliant idea that could power our whole world and get rid of those power plants for good?

Reality seldom meets expectations and this is no exception. Specifically, because they set the panels flat on the ground, they never get a direct shot of sunlight, and because it's in an area with buildings it's prone to being shaded much of the day.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

In terms of the government bang-for-the-buck scale, I'd say this one is a resounding success.
:beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ya' know, it's a shame. Solar power is a neat idea I could get behind, however, because it's so associated with government incompetency, it's unfairly tarred. I've wanted to buy the $100 solar panel kits at harbor freight for a while, just to play around with it.

Offline rodamala

You mean the bucks-for-the-bang scale.

geronl

Ya' know, it's a shame. Solar power is a neat idea I could get behind, however, because it's so associated with government incompetency, it's unfairly tarred. I've wanted to buy the $100 solar panel kits at harbor freight for a while, just to play around with it.

I think next-gen systems might be cheaper and more efficient. At least on small scales, like individual homes.

Online mountaineer

When we were making plans around 2008 to build our house, I tried to find affordable solar systems but as I recall all I could find was at least $25,000 for a rooftop system. There might be better options now.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
A few years back an energy expert here in Austin wrote a great article about low tech solar power.  He was always the number cruncher type which is why I liked his articles - his data was out front and center for the whole world to examine.

The idea came from the 1970's and consisted of curved steel panels.  They looked like the front of a snow plow essentially.  The panels both tilted up/down and right/left to follow the direct angle of the sun.  It was the curvature of the panels that focused the sun's energy into a collector box gizmo which then sent power on down the line.

From an efficiency standpoint there were a slight step down from the best panels on the market.  But at a fraction of the cost to manufacture and their ability to track the sun, it made the panels heads and shoulders winners over the solar panels being pushed by our fearless leaders in Washington.  But it gets better.

The sheets of curved steel could be produced right here in the U.S. where thousands of pieces factory equipment are sitting idle in the Rust Belt of the country.  Where solar panels have to compete with China's low prices the curved sheets of steel do not.  And where solar panels must rely on government subsidies to compete, curved steel panels do not.  Eliminating subsidies and replacing them with jobs, jobs, jobs sounds like a win/win to me.  But it gets better.

Due to their low cost and easy installation a bank of 20+ steel panels could be plopped down on farm land all over the midwest.  Being close logistically to Rust Belt factories keeps shipping costs low and come with the kicker that anyone can install the units.  And farmers have no shortage of irregularly shaped fields that would be ideal locations.  They do require utility companies to make the final connection to the grid and that is not always a pleasant experience depending upon where you live.

But it gets better.  We haven't even started talked about millions of acres of desert land in Texas, New Mexico or Arizona yet.

Offline Idiot

A few years back an energy expert here in Austin wrote a great article about low tech solar power.  He was always the number cruncher type which is why I liked his articles - his data was out front and center for the whole world to examine.

The idea came from the 1970's and consisted of curved steel panels.  They looked like the front of a snow plow essentially.  The panels both tilted up/down and right/left to follow the direct angle of the sun.  It was the curvature of the panels that focused the sun's energy into a collector box gizmo which then sent power on down the line.

From an efficiency standpoint there were a slight step down from the best panels on the market.  But at a fraction of the cost to manufacture and their ability to track the sun, it made the panels heads and shoulders winners over the solar panels being pushed by our fearless leaders in Washington.  But it gets better.

The sheets of curved steel could be produced right here in the U.S. where thousands of pieces factory equipment are sitting idle in the Rust Belt of the country.  Where solar panels have to compete with China's low prices the curved sheets of steel do not.  And where solar panels must rely on government subsidies to compete, curved steel panels do not.  Eliminating subsidies and replacing them with jobs, jobs, jobs sounds like a win/win to me.  But it gets better.

Due to their low cost and easy installation a bank of 20+ steel panels could be plopped down on farm land all over the midwest.  Being close logistically to Rust Belt factories keeps shipping costs low and come with the kicker that anyone can install the units.  And farmers have no shortage of irregularly shaped fields that would be ideal locations.  They do require utility companies to make the final connection to the grid and that is not always a pleasant experience depending upon where you live.

But it gets better.  We haven't even started talked about millions of acres of desert land in Texas, New Mexico or Arizona yet.

I don't like to think about living on the edge of the desert.  I like to call it more "tree challenged".

Offline rodamala

I don't like to think about living on the edge of the desert.  I like to call it more "tree challenged".

@mrpotatohead

Notrees, Texas.  Been there.  Done that.

geronl

And where solar panels must rely on government subsidies to compete, curved steel panels do not.  Eliminating subsidies and replacing them with jobs, jobs, jobs sounds like a win/win to me.  But it gets better.

We are importing steel for the pipeline, even though Trump promised otherwise. We'll probably import steel and bricks for "da wall" too.

Offline Suppressed

0.62 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per day

When a story uses units like that, I have to wonder.

Are they saying that averaged over a day, it's 0.62 kWh?  Does that include 24 hours as a denominator when averaging?  Or is the "per day" extraneous?  Or what?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
We are importing steel for the pipeline, even though Trump promised otherwise. We'll probably import steel and bricks for "da wall" too.

Offline thackney

We are importing steel for the pipeline, even though Trump promised otherwise.

What pipeline?  The Keystone XL where much of the steel was purchased years ago?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Are they saying that averaged over a day, it's 0.62 kWh?  Does that include 24 hours as a denominator when averaging?  Or is the "per day" extraneous?  Or what?
kWh is a measurement of energy (the metric is joule). A watt is energy over time.

This would come out to an average of about 26 W, or about enough to keep two compact fluorescent light bulbs on continuously. There are comparable solar panels out there capable of producing that for a few hundred bucks. Assuming there were a way to effectively store all of that energy, the microwave in question (assuming 700 W) would run for slightly less than one hour.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline endicom

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/V3vh1173801/overview

geronl

kWh is a measurement of energy (the metric is joule). A watt is energy over time.

This would come out to an average of about 26 W, or about enough to keep two compact fluorescent light bulbs on continuously. There are comparable solar panels out there capable of producing that for a few hundred bucks. Assuming there were a way to effectively store all of that energy, the microwave in question (assuming 700 W) would run for slightly less than one hour.

all for the low, low price of $4.3 million. lol

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They should have it somewhere else. Instead of sticking it where the sun don't shine.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

reminds me of the song "One Meatball" somehow or maybe this sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0qPwn4U8Y

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It was a dumb idea and the experiment is a failure. I hope they turn off the money for it.
Actually, I want them to just turn off taxpayer money for it.  Let the private money continue flowing and we will be soon rid ourselves of idiot ideas like this one.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

When we were making plans around 2008 to build our house, I tried to find affordable solar systems but as I recall all I could find was at least $25,000 for a rooftop system. There might be better options now.
when you look into that, how long is your planned Breakeven time of savings to recoup initial costs?  5 years? 10 years? 20?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Yeah, I wasn't clear...I was wondering whether they were misusing units or what.  They could have just expressed it in kilowatts if they're talking about the output rate, which would tell how much to run something.  As you point out, the microwave couldn't be run by it without storage...which is a ridiculous measure.  It could run whatever if we didn't specify how long we generated or expended.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn