Author Topic: Shoe chain Payless files for bankruptcy protection  (Read 1950 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Shoe chain Payless files for bankruptcy protection
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:38 am »
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, becoming the latest retailer to succumb to increasing competition from online rivals like Amazon.

The Topeka, Kansas-based retailer said Tuesday that it will be immediately closing nearly 400 stores as part of the reorganization. It has over 4,400 stores in more than 30 countries and was founded in 1956....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PAYLESS_BANKRUPTCY?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-04-17-23-15

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Shoe chain Payless files for bankruptcy protection
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:44:51 am »
Again, the world has changed.

Plenty of memories of going to pay less as a kid but I can't honestly remember the last time I was in a shoe store.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:15:14 am »
Again, the world has changed.

Plenty of memories of going to pay less as a kid but I can't honestly remember the last time I was in a shoe store.

That's probably the last time I set foot in a Payless too. Back when I was growing out of shoes faster than the seasons changed.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:27:38 am »
So...the other shoe has dropped.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 05:55:12 am »
They never had anything in my size. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and finding cheap $15 shoes. For work I ordered $100 workboots from shoesforcrews,com

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »
Bought a pair of no-name sneakers cheap at Payless.  Lasted me for years.  If I buy Nike or some other big name, expensive brand, the shoes are done the first time I go out in the rain.  Plus, I'm hard to fit.  Cheap Payless shoes fit well.  The better brands cramped my feet.  Go figure.

Sadly, the closest Payless to me closed a few years ago, or I'd still be a customer.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
... becoming the latest retailer to succumb to increasing competition from online rivals like Amazon.

Really?  Amazon is their increasing competition?? I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, but shoes isn't one of them.  How do you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on to see if they are comfortable?  And who wants the hassle of returning them if they aren't?

I would have thought they were losing more business to Wal-Mart/Target than to Amazon.   
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 06:03:13 pm »
Really?  Amazon is their increasing competition?? I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, but shoes isn't one of them.  How do you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on to see if they are comfortable?  And who wants the hassle of returning them if they aren't?

I would have thought they were losing more business to Wal-Mart/Target than to Amazon.
For over 30 years I have been an aid runner, and now walker. I go through a lot of shoes.

Find a brand that fits you well. Then shop for bargains online.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:34:00 pm »
They never had anything in my size. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and finding cheap $15 shoes. For work I ordered $100 workboots from shoesforcrews,com

And that is what happened to Payless.

They were a strictly shoe store in competition with Walmart, Meijer, Target, KMart etc. Its actually surprising they lasted as long as they did. In fact, selling in those stores is a lot of what kept them in business.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 06:37:43 pm »

Actually, since the Payless closed near ne, I have bought shoes from Amazon and they actually fit. 

Never had a problem returning merchandise to Amazon.  In fact, once when I wanted to return something, but couldn't print a shipping label,  Amazon told me to just keep the product or give it away.   Amazon is really easy to deal with.  It understands the meaning of the term, "customer service."

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:43:05 pm »
Actually, since the Payless closed near ne, I have bought shoes from Amazon and they actually fit. 

Never had a problem returning merchandise to Amazon.  In fact, once when I wanted to return something, but couldn't print a shipping label,  Amazon told me to just keep the product or give it away.   Amazon is really easy to deal with.  It understands the meaning of the term, "customer service."

If I order online I buy a half size larger and they fit well enough to be comfortable.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »
If I order online I buy a half size larger and they fit well enough to be comfortable.

since I messed my foot up wearing shoes that were too small to work for months, I have to wear them bigger than before. I need 14 Wide (not Medium Wide)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »
I remember in malls where there were actually shoe salesman (ala Al Bundy) who would measure your feet on a big metal scale thingie and sell you a pair of shoes. And I'm not that old. :)

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:18 pm »
For over 30 years I have been an aid runner, and now walker. I go through a lot of shoes.

Find a brand that fits you well. Then shop for bargains online.

Ok, good point.  I actually do that for the shoes I wear for tennis. 

I never bought those kinds of shoes at Payless, though -- I always just bought the "cute" shoes there.  Shame on me for letting my own bias influence my post!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:00:29 pm »

I agree with you there -- Amazon customer service has always been outstanding.

I just want to be able to try on the 'cute' shoes before I buy them, to make sure the little lace cut-outs or criss-cross straps or whatever don't hurt. 

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:55:07 am »
My last time in a "shoe store" was in 2005, to buy a pair of Redwing steel-toed shoes for the job. They weren't cheap, but fit from the get-go and didn't even require "breaking in".

That was the last pair I needed before retirement.

Since then, I've subsisted on cheap sneakers from Walmart!

Offline anubias

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 02:36:46 am »
I remember in malls where there were actually shoe salesman (ala Al Bundy) who would measure your feet on a big metal scale thingie and sell you a pair of shoes. And I'm not that old. :)

Just had my feet measured in the same manner with the same "big metal scale thingie" aka Bannock device last Saturday in a bicycle shop.

And had my son measured with the same device at Cavender's for a new pair of boots.

They're still in existence. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:38:48 am by anubias »