Author Topic: Trump takes up health care with Rand Paul, on golf course  (Read 1399 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump takes up health care with Rand Paul, on golf course
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »
Trump takes up health care with Rand Paul, on golf course

By    The Associated Press   April 2, 2017 3:45 pm

POTOMAC FALLS, Va. (AP) — President Donald Trump brought Sen. Rand Paul to his Virginia golf course on Sunday, planning to discuss health care with the outspoken critic of the failed plan to repeal and replace so-called Obamacare.

The outing to Trump National Golf Club came hours after Trump tweeted that talks on replacing the law have been going on and “will continue until such time as a deal is hopefully struck.”

He added that anyone who thinks the effort is dead “does not know the love and strength in R Party!”

snip

http://wtop.com/virginia/2017/04/trump-hits-golf-course-with-sen-rand-paul/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump takes up health care with Rand Paul, on golf course
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:47:18 pm »
 :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »
Mark Knoller‏Verified account @markknoller 31m31 minutes ago More
On return to WH @RandPaul said it was "a great day" golfing with the Pres. "Very optimistic" nearing agreement on repealing ObamaCare."

Senator Rand Paul‏Verified account @RandPaul 50m50 minutes ago More
I had a great time today with @realDonaldTrump and believe we are getting closer to an agreement on health care!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:57:12 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:13:32 am »
Trump reminds me of a parent who doesn't mean what they say.  First he says if the bill fails then he will move on to tax reform.  Now he is trying to save the rotting corpse of his failed health plan.  Had he waited and done it right, making sure that the party was on board he could have done it right the first time.  But as it has been from the start Trump is high drama.  Leading to very little confidence in his presidency.  I doubt that he can come up with a plan that the American people can actually say  this is MAGA material.  Likely more overpriced socialized medicine for American workers.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:15:39 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 12:22:11 am »
Trump reminds me of a parent who doesn't mean what they say.  First he says if the bill fails then he will move on to tax reform.  Now he is trying to save the rotting corpse of his failed health plan.  Had he waited and done it right, making sure that the party was on board he could have done it right the first time.  But as it has been from the start Trump is high drama.  Leading to very little confidence in his presidency.  I doubt that he can come up with a plan that the American people can actually say  this is MAGA material.  Likely more overpriced socialized medicine for American workers.

This whole thing has been a negotiation...including letting it fall apart and fail. Initially, I though as you did, that the whole thing was an awkward effort directed through the Speaker that simply failed to bring the disparate elements of the party together. But its becoming clear, this whole thing has been much more...Trump is playing a longer game here, and is using the leverage from the initial failure along with the threat of going after FC members back home, to maneuver everyone into an agreement he wants. He will move just far enough towards them in this negotiation to make them feel like they are getting a win...and the rest of the party will tolerate that shift towards the FC's concept of repeal and replace because its now seen as necessary if we want a bill.

Its actually quite brilliant on the President's part...a classic example of setting up a deal that makes all parties (within the GOP) feel like they are getting a "win".  I see a deal in place and bill coming out of the Senate before the end of May....and its going to have broad party support in the House. Everyone compromises, everyone gets a win...especially voters. THIS is why we nominated Trump and THIS is why he won the election...he's a bulldog, and smart enough to know that sometimes its beneficial to lose a battle on your way to winning the war.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:25:26 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:26:51 am »
This whole thing has been a negotiation...including letting it fall apart and fail. Initially, I though as you did, that the whole thing was an awkward effort directed through the Speaker that simply failed to bring the disparate elements of the party together. But its becoming clear, this whole thing has been much more...Trump is playing a longer game here, and is using the leverage from the initial failure along with the threat of going after FC members back home, to maneuver everyone into an agreement he wants. He will move just far enough towards them in this negotiation to make them feel like they are getting a win...and the rest of the party will tolerate that shift towards the FC's concept of repeal and replace because its now seen as necessary if we want a bill.

Its actually quite brilliant on the President's part...a classic example of setting up a deal that makes all parties (within the GOP) feel like they are getting a "win".  I see a deal in place and bill coming out of the Senate before the end of May....and its going to have broad party support in the House. Everyone compromises, everyone gets a win...especially voters. THIS is why we nominated Trump and THIS is why he won the election...he's a bulldog, and smart enough to know that sometimes its beneficial to lose a battle on your way to winning the war.

Hahaha, snort....yeah that must be it...all hail Orange Glorious!!!!  And I say that as a never trumper who has been surprisingly pleased with much of what he's done... but your  statement just REEKS of trump fanboy idolatry.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:28:56 am by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:37:35 am »
Hahaha, snort....yeah that must be it...all hail Orange Glorious!!!!  And I say that as a never trumper who has been surprisingly pleased with much of what he's done... but your  statement just REEKS of trump fanboy idolatry.

:silly: MAPA (Make America Puke Again)

Totally agree.  A fanboy response for sure.  But he could be right.  With the exception of Americans being happy with it.  It seems its a strong arm approach of supporting Democrats over Republicans and Conservatives in the Primaries.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:41 am »

:silly: MAPA (Make America Puke Again)

Totally agree.  A fanboy response for sure.  But he could be right.  With the exception of Americans being happy with it.  It seems its a strong arm approach of supporting Democrats over Republicans and Conservatives in the Primaries.

I'd be happy to make a small bet that we have a bill through the House by the end of May...and that the majority of the FC will vote in favor of it. Any takers?

Fanboy? Seriously, how old are you fellas? I am a supporter of the Republican president of the United States...though I was originally a Rubio guy. I see all of Trump's faults...his ego, his boorishness at times, even his vindictiveness...but unlike you folks, they don't blind me to his strengths. Nor to his key trait...which is an unrelenting will to defeat liberalism and the Far Left. That is why he had/has my vote. No other candidate for President had the brazen confidence, fearlessness and guts to fight that fight against the Left...not even Cruz.

Some of you need to wake up and quit playing these NeverTrump games. We all know the man has faults....but there is no one better armed to defeat the Left.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:59:04 am »
I'd be happy to make a small bet that we have a bill through the House by the end of May...and that the majority of the FC will vote in favor of it. Any takers?

Fanboy? Seriously, how old are you fellas? I am a supporter of the Republican president of the United States...though I was originally a Rubio guy. I see all of Trump's faults...his ego, his boorishness at times, even his vindictiveness...but unlike you folks, they don't blind me to his strengths. Nor to his key trait...which is an unrelenting will to defeat liberalism and the Far Left. That is why he had/has my vote. No other candidate for President had the brazen confidence, fearlessness and guts to fight that fight against the Left...not even Cruz.

Some of you need to wake up and quit playing these NeverTrump games. We all know the man has faults....but there is no one better armed to defeat the Left.

Well I like your response.  Its honest and I can see you really believe what you say.  But I don't share the same confidence.  I see Trump as a middle of the road guy.  Or even a fence sitter.  Can't decide which side to end up on.  His voting history shows the same thing.  He has poor judgment.  He was a Obama and Clinton supporter before he wasn't.  He fills his White House with liberal family to advise him.  And the strong arm tactics he is taking against Conservatives who didn't fall in line with his lame health bill shows he is willing to support Democrats over Conservatives.  That is what is happening. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 01:06:41 am »

It's not so much what Trump says, it's what he does.  I think it is a good thing that Trump is meeting with Paul to discuss coming together over a more acceptable bill.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 01:11:28 am »
Well I like your response.  Its honest and I can see you really believe what you say.  But I don't share the same confidence.  I see Trump as a middle of the road guy.  Or even a fence sitter.  Can't decide which side to end up on.  His voting history shows the same thing.  He has poor judgment.  He was a Obama and Clinton supporter before he wasn't.  He fills his White House with liberal family to advise him.  And the strong arm tactics he is taking against Conservatives who didn't fall in line with his lame health bill shows he is willing to support Democrats over Conservatives.  That is what is happening.

If he doesn't toss out there that he's willing to negotiate on HC with the Dems...what leverage does he have with the FC? This is deal making, and its dynamic and complex...and its something at which he is indisputably a Master. You put WAY to much stock into his previous support of Obama/Clinton, as this was a function of his business situation far more than a statement on his political views. He was, and he admits this, not a "political" guy until very recently...meaning his political positions were really just business ones. His cabinet and judicial choices alone should prove his current commitment to conservatism...if you can't accept his positions on the border, immigration, the military, taxation and economic regulation.

That said, I'm not claiming Trump is some far right icon...but on policy he has clearly shown himself to the right of the parties old Bushite leanings. Certainly, on social issues he is more a centrist Republican...but on economic, military and nearly every other issue he has worked hard for very conservative positions.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 01:21:10 am »
If he doesn't toss out there that he's willing to negotiate on HC with the Dems...what leverage does he have with the FC? This is deal making, and its dynamic and complex...and its something at which he is indisputably a Master. You put WAY to much stock into his previous support of Obama/Clinton, as this was a function of his business situation far more than a statement on his political views. He was, and he admits this, not a "political" guy until very recently...meaning his political positions were really just business ones. His cabinet and judicial choices alone should prove his current commitment to conservatism...if you can't accept his positions on the border, immigration, the military, taxation and economic regulation.

That said, I'm not claiming Trump is some far right icon...but on policy he has clearly shown himself to the right of the parties old Bushite leanings. Certainly, on social issues he is more a centrist Republican...but on economic, military and nearly every other issue he has worked hard for very conservative positions.

Good post.  And it is true that on the issues you mention Trump has been taking the conservative position.

The problem is that there are too many people here whose hatred of Trump outweighs their common sense and nothing he does will satisfy them.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 01:57:13 am »
Good post.  And it is true that on the issues you mention Trump has been taking the conservative position.

The problem is that there are too many people here whose hatred of Trump outweighs their common sense and nothing he does will satisfy them.

So it seems. Its nonsensical to be so undermining of a president who is CLEARLY working to advance a very conservative agenda. They act like zealots out to crush a heretic...and they're not going to let reason, practicality, or even common sense get in the way. Ironically, in their fervor, they call others "fanboys" and project their singlemindedness on those of us supporting the GOP President. Its absurd really, and it would be humorous if it wasn't so self destructive of conservatism.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 02:02:50 am »
So he's treating health care like a reality TV program, and the non-vote was the at the commercial suspense marketing scheme  :shrug:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 03:28:14 am »
So he's treating health care like a reality TV program, and the non-vote was the at the commercial suspense marketing scheme  :shrug:

No. He's treating it like a negotiation. Which is precisely what it is....not a moral crusade in which good vs evil is some glorious backdrop. Yes, ethics and morality direct everyone's overarching ideals...but legislation requires rationality, flexibility and tactics. Trump is employing all three to achieve what he believes to be his moral imperative...a better health care system and law.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 04:09:16 am »
This whole thing has been a negotiation...including letting it fall apart and fail.

I've said this multiple times here - standing up and walking a way from a negotiation is one method of pressuring the parties to agree.  It doesn't always work, but here, i think the prospect of no deal at all sufficiently terrifies the GOP Congress that it likely will work.

It's just not the normal butt-kissing that passes for "negotiation" in DC, so people are freaking.  But I've seen that tactic work plenty of times.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:11:32 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 04:10:36 am »

If you are a Conservative you know there is no negotiating Conservative principles with Democrats.  What a crock of poo poo.  Your a good talker but it doesn't hold weight.  I put stock in his history because it tells the Trump story.  Bad political judgment!  Of course he is willing to negotiate with Democrats because he has no real steady history of Conservatism.  His family is liberal and his loyalty to Republican party is not set in stone.  He didn't even vote for much of his adult life.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 06:05:55 am »

A majority of the FC would have voted for the last bill. It would have failed because of the left side of the GOP. The House FC has been the biggest source of support Trump has had.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »
If you are a Conservative you know there is no negotiating Conservative principles with Democrats.  What a crock of poo poo.  Your a good talker but it doesn't hold weight.  I put stock in his history because it tells the Trump story.  Bad political judgment!  Of course he is willing to negotiate with Democrats because he has no real steady history of Conservatism.  His family is liberal and his loyalty to Republican party is not set in stone.  He didn't even vote for much of his adult life.

Can you cite a single instance in which he has chosen to negotiate with Dems before doing so with Republicans? As for principle, everyone...for the most part...is acting and voting on their principles. If everyone is locked in without even the tactical flexibility to compromise....how can any legislation ever pass?

Even Reagan was clear that getting 80% of what you wanted is better than 100% of nothing. Political positions are not points of religious doctrine, with very few exceptions such as abortion, and you doom yourself, party and views to failure if you are so rigid that you cannot even follow the "Reagan" rule.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »
A majority of the FC would have voted for the last bill. It would have failed because of the left side of the GOP. The House FC has been the biggest source of support Trump has had.

You are right, this is not only on the FC. The moderates too bear much responsibility. Both elements will have to give a little....or Ocare will continue.  What Trump is doing is negotiating both ends of the GOP towards a consensus compromise repeal and replace bill.