Author Topic: I-85 collapse: Three arrested after major fire under Atlanta highway  (Read 5413 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Atlanta (CNN)A man has been arrested on suspicion of intentionally setting a huge fire that brought down part of an elevated interstate highway in Atlanta, a collapse that is expected to complicate traffic for months in one of the nation's most congested cities.
Basil Eleby and two other people -- all believed by investigators to be homeless -- have been arrested in connection with Thursday evening's fire under Interstate 85, Jay Florence, deputy insurance and safety fire commissioner, said Friday.

The fire, which started in a state-owned storage lot under the highway, caused part of northbound I-85 to collapse Thursday evening -- injuring no one -- and also damaged the southbound portion, forcing the closure of all five lanes in each direction for the foreseeable future.

Eleby has been charged with first-degree criminal damage to property, Florence said. The two others -- Sophia Bruner and Barry Thomas -- have been charged with criminal trespassing. Investigators believe Eleby started the fire intentionally, and that Bruner and Thomas were with him, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/us/atlanta-interstate-85-fire-collapse/index.html
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

Re: I-85 collapse: Three arrested after major fire under Atlanta highway
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »
@don-o

I know the source is suspect here, but you were asking about the story.

These folks were 'homeless' .  Really?
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
These folks were 'homeless' .  Really?

Their home was up under that bridge.  There's a spot right under I-85 at the Monroe Dr exit (Armour Dr) off the access road where quite a few 'homeless' people call home.  I haven't been down in that area in a while, but the area cordoned off by the state could include that section of bridge underpass.

Back when I drove a truck, I saw a guy standing at the light with a sign that said he would work for food.  I rolled down my window and offered him my lunch, but he was only interested in cash.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:34:32 pm »
Yeah. Well that made arrests, but I still want to know how exactly they got enough heat to get that fire going.

It's not smelling right to me.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »
http://www.11alive.com/news/what-was-burning-under-the-i-85-overpass/427257767

pecifically, he said, high-density plastic conduit, which was non-combustible, was stored under the bridge. The conduit is used in the traffic management cabling, "fiber optic and wire network," McMurry said of the construction product that is commonly used "for all types of purposes."

McMurry identified the specific conduit as HDPE.

"It is a high-density plastic pipe," he said.

According to Ceresana, an international marketing and consultancy company for the industrial sector, HDPE is used for packaging materials, bottles, household goods and construction products. Several plastics companies list "flammable" as one of the "disadvantages" of using HDPE.

McMurry admits that the material was flammable, but said it wasn't dangerous enough to move.

“It doesn’t not ignite," McMurry said. "It takes something to cause something like that to burn.”

Dr. Lauren Stewart, an engineering professor at Georgia Tech, said that it doesn't combust easily, "but if under high temperature environment, it can combust and I believe it burns relatively hot.”

------------------------------------------------------

Reckon these "homeless" had them a bit of white phosphorus handy?

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:29:58 pm »

Yeah, once the PVC gets going it burns pretty good (and that explains all of the black smoke).

This highlights what may become an increasing problem in the USA and throughout the world - razers.

Alfred (Michael Caine): Some just want to watch the world burn.

That term is currently so unfamiliar to our culture that it triggers the spell checker because it doesn't recognize it as a word at all.

The word "raze" or "rase" derives from Old English "scratch or incise" which derives from French rase, "to shave off, remove".

We have heard of the word in regard to "razing" (demolishing) a building or more archaically, to raze a town to the ground (which seems odd to the ear because we think  of "raising up").

I once read a science fiction story in which a culture was beset by a sub-culture which spent most of its time running around destroying things that the mainstream culture built. They were known as "razers" and were hunted like animals and killed on sight.

With the lunatic leftists running things more and more, helping to create and normalize things like double-digit unemployment or "cradle-to-grave" poverty in first tier economies, we will doubtless see things like this more and more.

A psychologist once postulated that one of the basic human needs, in addition to food, water, shelter from the elements, medical treatment, is "esteem" or, "a sense that one is worthy and powerful". When people, for whatever reason, feel unworthy and powerless, they begin to feel as if they are no longer a part of Humanity - that they have been abandoned, left behind and forsaken by those who have decent jobs, property, assets, stability, families.

These disenfranchised people often feel as if they have no stake in or reason to cooperate with or further the laws, rules or goals of the rest of society. Such people will in some cases (often inspired by leftist hate propaganda against capitalism or "the rich") take drugs or drink and work themselves up into a hate frenzy - during which they do violent, destructive things (like arson).

Post-arrest interviews with people who start fires or commit great acts of destruction for no purpose other than "fun" reveal that for many such people, what they sought in their acts was to feel "powerful and important". That is understandable in a twisted way, since they spend so much of their lives feeling insignificant, powerless and minute in the scheme of the universe.

Maybe they didn't really intend to take down the bridge, but they might well have intended to start the biggest fire that they could - and in that they succeeded.

This highlights the potential for a much larger problem, since the homeless, chronically unemployed (and unemployable, mentally-ill) population of the world is so massive and if anything is increasing, not getting smaller.

Our culture will have to face up to the fact that these sort of things may become a chronic problem going forward and that not only ideological terrorists, but disenfranchised nihilists (who believe in nothing but rage) are likely to exploit opportunities to destroy on a large scale if they get the chance.

What we do about it is another thread, perhaps. But I would bet good money that the motivation behind this action will turn out to be three people who started a fire because they wanted to enjoy watching the world burn.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:37:19 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »
Yeah, once the PVC gets going it burns pretty good (and that explains all of the black smoke).

This highlights what may become an increasing problem in the USA and throughout the world - razers.

.....they wanted to enjoy watching the world burn.

Good comments.  I tend to agree with your analysis.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 05:45:44 pm »
Good comments.  I tend to agree with your analysis.

It's been said that 10% of the population in any given area keeps it together for the other 90%.

Maybe it's just me, but that ratio seems to be shrinking all the time.

What I wonder is why law enforcement or the city officials who make policy about such things allow a sub culture to live illegally all over the city?

Of course the answer is obvious - because they either can't or won't do anything about it because it's not politically expedient or cost effective. Ignoring the vast and growing numbers of homeless around the cities of the U.S. (most of whom are severely imp[aired by emotional illness) has become an ongoing horror and disgrace. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
It was only a matter of time before the crazy began to flow freely.

The comments are a real treat as well.

https://twitter.com/AMike4761/status/849268701274787840

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 06:30:45 pm »
It's been said that 10% of the population in any given area keeps it together for the other 90%.

Maybe it's just me, but that ratio seems to be shrinking all the time.

What I wonder is why law enforcement or the city officials who make policy about such things allow a sub culture to live illegally all over the city?

Of course the answer is obvious - because they either can't or won't do anything about it because it's not politically expedient or cost effective. Ignoring the vast and growing numbers of homeless around the cities of the U.S. (most of whom are severely imp[aired by emotional illness) has become an ongoing horror and disgrace.

Since "homelessness" can and is defined a number of ways, it's hard to get good numbers.  I did find this source which appears to be pretty good: 

...So, what does homelessness look like in 2016?...:

564,708 people in the U.S. are homeless. According to a recent report, over half a million people were living on the streets, in cars, in homeless shelters, or in subsidized transitional housing during a one-night national survey last January. Of that number, 206,286 were people in families, 358,422 were individuals, and a quarter of the entire group were children.*

83,170 individuals, or 15% of the homeless population, are considered “chronically homeless.” Chronic homelessness is defined as an individual who has a disability and has experienced homelessness for a year or longer, or and individual who has a disability and has experienced at least four episodes of homelessness in the last three years (must be a cumulative of 12 months). Families with at least one adult member who meets that description are also considered chronically homeless.As the National Alliance to End Homelessness explains, “While people experiencing chronic homelessness make up a small number of the overall homeless population, they are among the most vulnerable. They tend to have high rates of behavioral health problems, including severe mental illness and substance use disorders; conditions that may be exacerbated by physical illness, injury, or trauma.”

47,725, or about 8% of the homeless population, are veterans. This represents a 35% decrease since 2009. Homeless veterans have served in several different conflicts from WWII to the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Washington, D.C., has the highest rate of veteran homelessness in the nation (145.8 homeless veterans per 10,000). 45% of homeless veterans are black or Hispanic. While less than 10% of homeless veterans are women, that number is rising...

http://www.socialsolutions.com/blog/2016-homelessness-statistics/

* Children, as in 18 and under.

So, if my numbers are correct, that's about 1.7% of the whole population.  Since that's a homeless advocacy site, I suspect their numbers are on the generous side.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 06:54:48 pm »
Yeah. Well that made arrests, but I still want to know how exactly they got enough heat to get that fire going.

It's not smelling right to me.

Steel and concrete are explosive. The Hollyweird Left told me that after 911.

BTW, Basil Eleby was smoking crack with his two pals in the storage area.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:15:50 pm »
Steel and concrete are explosive. The Hollyweird Left told me that after 911.

BTW, Basil Eleby was smoking crack with his two pals in the storage area.

The fact that they were smoking crack may have been incidental. It's very likely that they started the fire deliberately or through willful negligence (it started accidentally and they did nothing to sound an alarm or put it out). People who smoke crack are not well known for their civic-mindedness. Many (most) have a schizoaffective, misanthropic chip on their shoulder the size of the Rock of Gibraltar.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:17:43 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 07:20:14 pm »
The fact that they were smoking crack may have been incidental. It's very likely that they started the fire deliberately or through willful negligence (it started accidentally and they did nothing to sound an alarm or put it out). People who smoke crack are not well known for their civic-mindedness. Many (most) have a schizoaffective, misanthropic chip on their shoulder the size of the Rock of Gibraltar.

Well they were screaming high, so I'm sure bad ideas were being discussed (grunted out).

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:49:34 pm »
Well they were screaming high, so I'm sure bad ideas were being discussed (grunted out).

Very well-articulated FC!! Being a homeless crackhead must be a horrible existence. Much like a living death. Many of them are affiliated with (puppets of) criminal gangs to which they are often beholden for their livelihoods (and of course their supply of narcotics).

The term "human being" has achieved a sort of loose definition which gives these people an affiliation which they may not really deserve as such.  In some ways they are no better than animals that wear clothing and in some ways more like demons than normal human beings. Crack and meth turn human beings into loathsome, dangerous things. We need to get that sh*t off the streets.

BTW, that was my only criticism of the show Breaking Bad, it romanticized drug abuse by affiliating it with extravagant wealth and spectacular extreme violence, regardless of the terrible fates of the characters.  Sometimes the medium is the message.

Out culture is largely and increasingly savage, despite our level of technology. We seem to become a little more like a savage culture out of Frank Herbert's Dune every day. High technology has not civilized the Human Race, only made manifest the cerebral aspects of our nature through computers and Internet technology.

God help us, unless something really big intercedes in our destiny, I fear that Humanity is doomed to a very unpleasant, premature demise at our own hand. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
Very well-articulated FC!! Being a homeless crackhead must be a horrible existence. Much like a living death. Many of them are affiliated with (puppets of) criminal gangs to which they are often beholden for their livelihoods (and of course their supply of narcotics).

The term "human being" has achieved a sort of loose definition which gives these people an affiliation which they may not really deserve as such.  In some ways they are no better than animals that wear clothing and in some ways more like demons than normal human beings. Crack and meth turn human beings into loathsome, dangerous things. We need to get that sh*t off the streets.

BTW, that was my only criticism of the show Breaking Bad, it romanticized drug abuse by affiliating it with extravagant wealth and spectacular extreme violence, regardless of the terrible fates of the characters.  Sometimes the medium is the message.

Out culture is largely and increasingly savage, despite our level of technology. We seem to become a little more like a savage culture out of Frank Herbert's Dune every day. High technology has not civilized the Human Race, only made manifest the cerebral aspects of our nature through computers and Internet technology.

God help us, unless something really big intercedes in our destiny, I fear that Humanity is doomed to a very unpleasant, premature demise at our own hand.

We've been here before, maybe more often than not: