Author Topic: Texas Governor to Sign Legislation That Can Put Sheriffs of Sanctuary Cities in Jail (VIDEO)  (Read 1518 times)

rangerrebew

Texas Governor to Sign Legislation That Can Put Sheriffs of Sanctuary Cities in Jail (VIDEO)

Cristina Laila Mar 30th, 2017 11:18 am

Texas Governor, Greg Abbott called into the Steve Malzberg show to discuss sanctuary cities plaguing certain counties in his great state. He said he would sign legislation that could put Sheriffs of sanctuary cities in jail.

Here we go, folks! Don’t mess with Texas!

Steve Malzberg: “I know you brought up the possibility of jailing such Sheriffs recently.”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/03/texas-governor-sign-legislation-can-put-sheriffs-sanctuary-cities-jail-video/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:44:19 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
I don't know if it's different in Texas, but usually sheriffs are LEOs for counties, not cities.  Incorporated cities have their own police forces, with the chief of police in charge.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A sheriff of a county or city is an elected official. He, or she, has no  boss other than the people who elected him into office. Once elected, a sheriff appoints deputy sheriffs to assist him with the duties of the office.

A sheriff and his deputies have jurisdiction anywhere within the county where he is elected to serve, including all towns and cities located within the county. This is true even if the town or city has a police department and a chief of police. A sheriff still has jursidiction within that city and, he and his deputies can make a legal arrest there. However, a police chief and her officers may not venture outside the boundaries of their city to make an arrest.

Not only is a sheriff responsible for the enforcement of the law within his county, he also oversees all county jails and lockups, provides security for all courtrooms and judges, and he is responsible for the delivery of all civil papers, such as jury summons, subpoenas, and divorce degrees. A police chief may not serve civil papers. Therefore, all towns, cities, and counties must have a sheriff, but a police chief is not an absolute must. The sheriff can assume the law-enforcement duties in a town or city without a police department.

Another thread:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,256300.0.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:24:45 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Victoria33

I don't know if it's different in Texas, but usually sheriffs are LEOs for counties, not cities.  Incorporated cities have their own police forces, with the chief of police in charge.
@Doug Loss
@mystery-ak

Texas is the same.  The sheriff controls the whole county and can arrest anyone in that county or outside that county.  Cities/towns have a police force, too.  A mayor can tell the police force not to arrest illegals, however the mayor cannot tell the sheriff that. 

About Governor Greg Abbott:  Never underestimate a man in a wheel chair.
When Abbott was in college, he was out for a run and a tree fell on him, paralyzing him that instant.  He continued to go to college in the wheel chair. 

Became Texas Attorney General.  One of his sayings was, "I go to work and sue the federal government, go home and come back the next day and sue the federal government."

I was at a gathering on the lawn, under a big tent, at the Governor's mansion when he was Attorney General.  Due to my fibromyalgia, I lost my balance in front of Abbott, and grabbed my husband preventing me from falling right in front of Abbott.  That would have embarrassed me, I could have fallen on him in his wheelchair.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The text of the article doesn't make clear whether such legislation exists yet or not.

For those of you in Texas:
Does it?
Or does the legislature have yet to come up with something?

That said...

Whether elected (as in "the sheriff") or appointed (as in "police chief"):
Does the governor have the right to remove such officials for the non-performance of duty?
(assuming the legislature will grant the governor such power under a new or existing law)

geronl

Counties and cities are answerable to the state government.

geronl

A sheriff of a county or city is an elected official. He, or she, has no  boss other than the people who elected him into office.

Cities and counties are agencies of the state, they are answerable to the state government. The state government (legislature) can create or abolish a county or city as a political entity.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The text of the article doesn't make clear whether such legislation exists yet or not.

For those of you in Texas:
Does it?
Or does the legislature have yet to come up with something?

That said...

Whether elected (as in "the sheriff") or appointed (as in "police chief"):
Does the governor have the right to remove such officials for the non-performance of duty?
(assuming the legislature will grant the governor such power under a new or existing law)

I believe the laws currently exist.

Removal of officials.

"LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE

TITLE 3. ORGANIZATION OF COUNTY GOVERNMENT

SUBTITLE B. COMMISSIONERS COURT AND COUNTY OFFICERS

CHAPTER 87. REMOVAL OF COUNTY OFFICERS FROM OFFICE;  FILLING OF VACANCIES

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/LG/htm/LG.87.htm

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Cities and counties are agencies of the state, they are answerable to the state government. The state government (legislature) can create or abolish a county or city as a political entity.

From looking at the Texas Constitution it does not appear that a county can be abolished.

"THE TEXAS CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 9. COUNTIES

Sec. 1.  CREATION OF COUNTIES.  The Legislature shall have power to create counties for the convenience of the people subject to the following provisions:

(1)  Within the territory of any county or counties, no new county shall be created with a less area than seven hundred square miles, nor shall any such county now existing be reduced to a less area than seven hundred square miles.  No new counties shall be created so as to approach nearer than twelve miles of the county seat of any county from which it may in whole or in part be taken.  Counties of a less area than nine hundred, but of seven hundred or more square miles, within counties now existing, may be created by a two-thirds vote of each House of the Legislature, taken by yeas and nays and entered on the journals.  Any county now existing may be reduced to an area of not less than seven hundred square miles by a like two-thirds vote.  When any part of a county is stricken off and attached to, or created into another county, the part stricken off shall be holden for and obliged to pay its proportion of all the liabilities then existing, of the county from which it was taken, in such manner as may be prescribed by law.

(2)  No part of any existing county shall be detached from it and attached to another existing county until the proposition for such change shall have been submitted, in such manner as may be provided by law, to a vote of the voters of both counties, and shall have received a majority of those voting on the question in each. 

(Amended Nov. 2, 1999.)  (TEMPORARY TRANSITION PROVISIONS for Sec. 1: See Appendix, Note 1.)"

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CN/htm/CN.9.htm

Offline Suppressed

A sheriff of a county or city is an elected official. He, or she, has no  boss other than the people who elected him into office. Once elected, a sheriff appoints deputy sheriffs to assist him with the duties of the office.

And that's one of the reasons there's a sinister Leftist movement afoot to reduce the power of sheriffs, replacing them with police.  Gotta control The People, and not let them have any say!

Not only is a sheriff responsible for the enforcement of the law within his county, he also oversees all county jails and lockups, provides security for all courtrooms and judges, and he is responsible for the delivery of all civil papers, such as jury summons, subpoenas, and divorce degrees.

Many Briefers might not be aware of this quiet movement.  In some states (e.g., Delaware), sheriffs no longer even have arrest powers!   That's right... don't call out for that man with the badge to arrest the purse snatcher...the sheriff and his deputies are purely for the latter functions in Delaware.  I know other states are trying to go this way.  For example, there's a hard-fought battle in Virginia about this.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Moving this to the Texas Cat
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

A sheriff and his deputies have jurisdiction anywhere within the county where he is elected to serve, including all towns and cities located within the county. This is true even if the town or city has a police department and a chief of police. A sheriff still has jursidiction within that city and, he and his deputies can make a legal arrest there. However, a police chief and her officers may not venture outside the boundaries of their city to make an arrest.

Not only is a sheriff responsible for the enforcement of the law within his county, he also oversees all county jails and lockups, provides security for all courtrooms and judges, and he is responsible for the delivery of all civil papers, such as jury summons, subpoenas, and divorce degrees. A police chief may not serve civil papers. Therefore, all towns, cities, and counties must have a sheriff, but a police chief is not an absolute must. The sheriff can assume the law-enforcement duties in a town or city without a police department.

Another thread:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,256300.0.html

True, as long as they follow their sworn duty to uphold the law. If they don't, then it gets dicey. Normally they are removed from office here in Iowa, then jailed if it's criminal. Each state is different no doubt.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:20:29 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.