Author Topic: Texas Gov. Abbott: I'll Sign Law to Jail Sheriffs of Sanctuary Cities  (Read 845 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Newsmax By Bill Hoffmann 3/29/2017

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tells Newsmax TV that the federal crackdown on sanctuary cities is a strong move in helping correct the nation's illegal immigration problem, one he's already implemented on the state level in Texas — and intends to toughen by signing legislation that could put sheriffs of sanctuary cities in jail.

"This is huge and this is a very important step by the U.S. Department of Justice and it is exactly what I did as governor of the state of Texas last month when I defunded Travis County, where the city of Austin is located," Abbott, a Republican, said Wednesday to Steve Malzberg on "America Talks Live."

"The reason why is . . . the sheriff refused to honor ICE [U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement] detainer requests and instead released back out onto the streets very dangerous criminals.

"Criminals who had been arrested for sexual assault, including sexual assault of a minor, compromising the safety of our fellow Texans. Let me tell you something. If a sheriff refuses to enforce the laws . . . they need to quit their job. If they don't want to enforce the law, they should not be in law enforcement."

More: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/greg-abbott-sanctuary-cities-ice-illegal-immigration/2017/03/29/id/781435/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Texas Gov. Abbott: I'll Sign Law to Jail Sheriffs of Sanctuary Cities
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:55:00 pm »
Sanctuary Sally may be the first one.