Author Topic: Centrist group in House 'will never' meet with Freedom Caucus  (Read 8248 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Centrist group in House 'will never' meet with Freedom Caucus
By Peter Sullivan - 03/30/17 11:40 AM EDT

The centrist Tuesday Group affirmed at a meeting Wednesday that it will not meet with the conservative House Freedom Caucus to negotiate changes to an ObamaCare replacement bill, according to Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.).

“I am not speaking for the White House; I'm not speaking for the Speaker; but I will speak for the Tuesday Group,” Collins, a member of the group, told reporters. “We have never negotiated with the Freedom Caucus. There was never a meeting scheduled with the Freedom Caucus. We will never meet with the Freedom Caucus, because it's not appropriate for a group of ad hoc members.”

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/326502-centrist-group-in-house-will-never-meet-with-freedom-caucus
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Centrist group in House 'will never' meet with Freedom Caucus
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:07:54 pm »
Collins rates an F (23%) on the Conservative Review Liberty Scorecard.  That's not centrist...that's pretty much Liberal.

It would only be considered "centrist" if he was a Democrat.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:33 pm »
“We have never negotiated with the Freedom Caucus. There was never a meeting scheduled with the Freedom Caucus. We will never meet with the Freedom Caucus, because it's not appropriate for a group of ad hoc members.”

then they'll turn right around and accuse the freedom caucus of refusing to compromise or even meet with them.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:32:02 pm »
Yet we will be told that the FC is the problem, not the lefties who refuse to even talk to them.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:37:27 pm »
Yet we will be told that the FC is the problem, not the lefties who refuse to even talk to them.

There may be some who say that, but I have not seen them posting here. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:52:36 pm »
There may be some who say that, but I have not seen them posting here.

Then you've missed postings by Right_In_Virginia, JazzHead and DCPatriot all saying that the FC is the problem and are cheering Trump's attacks on them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »
Collins rates an F (23%) on the Conservative Review Liberty Scorecard.  That's not centrist...that's pretty much Liberal.

It would only be considered "centrist" if he was a Democrat.

I copied your statement into the comments at the site.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »
I copied your statement into the comments at the site.

Thank you...that's pretty cool.  :beer:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:07:40 pm »
Then you've missed postings by Right_In_Virginia, JazzHead and DCPatriot all saying that the FC is the problem and are cheering Trump's attacks on them.

What I have not seen is people saying, "not the lefties who refuse to even talk to them."

The rational posters have pretty much uniformly suggested that both sides need to talk to each other.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:09:59 pm »
The problem is that the centrists have the stronger bargaining position, and they know it.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:31 pm »
The problem is that the centrists have the stronger bargaining position, and they know it.

I'm also going to note Collins' choice of weasel words, which suggest that he's not nearly so hard-over as it may seem:

“I am not speaking for the White House; I'm not speaking for the Speaker; but I will speak for the Tuesday Group,” Collins, a member of the group, told reporters. “We have never negotiated with the Freedom Caucus. There was never a meeting scheduled with the Freedom Caucus. We will never meet with the Freedom Caucus, because it's not appropriate for a group of ad hoc members.

Translation: unlike the FC, which sees itself as a voting bloc, the Tuesday Group is not a voting bloc.  They don't hold each other to agreed-upon votes, have a fixed set of principles, and so on.  As a group, they're not a lock-step chunk of votes.

So the members of this group may be approachable on an individual level, but the group itself seems to be more of a mutual interest society.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 09:43:34 pm »

Ever since I joined TBR, I have been amazed to see how few really zealous Trumpsters there are on this forum.  President Trump should take notice of that. 

Trump's base is not as strong as he wants to believe (or as solid as Rush wants to claim, for that matter).  By the time of the 2016 Convention, even a huge percentage of Trump's delegates were praying that he not be allowed to win the nomination.  When their prayers went unanswered, the ONLY reason why Trump went on to win the election is because HRC was far and away the worst Presidential candidate in history--and because Trump was very clearly promising to put her in jail.

Many of Trump's voters have not forgiven Trump for going out of his way to call the Clintons "good people."  The good things he definitely has done in office thus far pale in comparison to his disgusting, bald-faced lie about those "good people."

Trump's infamous narcissism could very well become his downfall.  He was actually one of the lousiest Republican candidates in history.  Sadly, he can't face that fact.  Moreover, he is so self-assured concerning his own wonderfulness that he cannot grasp the reality of how quickly a crucial segment of his voters could publicly and vociferously turn against him.  So, although he is not at all worried about that, he should be.  He is declaring war on the FC, threatening to primary the FC members, but I think their political positions are more stable than his. 

In short, it seems to me that a huge percentage of Trump voters are having pretty serious buyer's remorse--and we haven't even finished the First Quarter of Trump's first year in office.  If Trump keeps ignoring real conservatives (the Constitutionally thoughtful kind), there is a very good chance that he could get impeached, say, after the midterm elections.

A lot of Republicans believe that Pence would be a much better POTUS.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:46:37 pm »
Ever since I joined TBR, I have been amazed to see how few really zealous Trumpsters there are on this forum.  President Trump should take notice of that. 

Trump's base is not as strong as he wants to believe (or as solid as Rush wants to claim, for that matter).  By the time of the 2016 Convention, even a huge percentage of Trump's delegates were praying that he not be allowed to win the nomination.  When their prayers went unanswered, the ONLY reason why Trump went on to win the election is because HRC was far and away the worst Presidential candidate in history--and because Trump was very clearly promising to put her in jail.

Many of Trump's voters have not forgiven Trump for going out of his way to call the Clintons "good people."  The good things he definitely has done in office thus far pale in comparison to his disgusting, bald-faced lie about those "good people."

Trump's infamous narcissism could very well become his downfall.  He was actually one of the lousiest Republican candidates in history.  Sadly, he can't face that fact.  Moreover, he is so self-assured concerning his own wonderfulness that he cannot grasp the reality of how quickly a crucial segment of his voters could publicly and vociferously turn against him.  So, although he is not at all worried about that, he should be.  He is declaring war on the FC, threatening to primary the FC members, but I think their political positions are more stable than his. 

In short, it seems to me that a huge percentage of Trump voters are having pretty serious buyer's remorse--and we haven't even finished the First Quarter of Trump's first year in office.  If Trump keeps ignoring real conservatives (the Constitutionally thoughtful kind), there is a very good chance that he could get impeached, say, after the midterm elections.

Can't argue with any of that. Well said sir.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 09:54:22 pm »
He is declaring war on the FC, threatening to primary the FC members, but I think their political positions are more stable than his.

He was the slightly less unpopular candidate of the two most unpopular candidates in history. Many congressmen won by far wider margins of victory than Trump. I voted for Darrell Castle and my GOP congressman. 

Trump doesn't have room to continue making enemies

Offline r9etb

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »
He is declaring war on the FC, threatening to primary the FC members, but I think their political positions are more stable than his.

This is an excellent point.  There's only a certain type of district that would elect a FC-type of candidate in the first place, and anybody who is elected on that basis is probably in a pretty safe seat.

Which means ... if it ever comes to the point of Trump facing impeachment, he cannot count on the same sort of groundswell of support that Bill Clinton got from his own party (or supposed party, in Trump's case).  And I think there are a fair number of plausible impeachment scenarios.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:11 pm »
Which means ... if it ever comes to the point of Trump facing impeachment, he cannot count on the same sort of groundswell of support that Bill Clinton got from his own party (or supposed party, in Trump's case).  And I think there are a fair number of plausible impeachment scenarios.

It occurs to me that Trump could get cyber-framed by the CIA.  Or some egregiously unethical deal from his past could come to light.  Or someone might prove up mob connections that arguably tie Trump into a crime of some sort.  Or Trump could do something monumentally stupid like trying to skirt a court order or defy a subpoena like the Obama administration sometimes did with impunity.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 10:18:30 pm »
What I have not seen is people saying, "not the lefties who refuse to even talk to them."

The rational posters have pretty much uniformly suggested that both sides need to talk to each other.

I listened to Ted Poe, who resigned from the FC after a 90 minute session whereby President Trump  agreed with each of the FC's requests.

And then they said they still would vote against the measure. That looks a lot like negotiating in bad faith.

So when they ALL get finished name calling, let's get back to work.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:23:01 pm »

Thanks for the laughs.   Funniest post I've seen in here in days.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
Thanks for the laughs.   Funniest post I've seen in here in days.   :beer:

888high58888  @DCPatriot

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 10:39:21 pm »

Oh good grief @txradioguy -- please try and connect all the dots.  The HFC is the problem in that they want it their way at 100% or they threatened to shut everything down.

Since you appear to have such close ties to them, why not suggest to them this is no way to govern and remind them of Reagan's 80/20 rule. 

PS:  don't forget to add the "@" when "quoting" a poster:   @DCPatriot @Jazzhead

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:53 pm »

That's because we haven't played "Cowboys and Centrists" yet. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 10:49:13 pm »
Oh good grief @txradioguy -- please try and connect all the dots.  The HFC is the problem in that they want it their way at 100% or they threatened to shut everything down.

Since you appear to have such close ties to them, why not suggest to them this is no way to govern and remind them of Reagan's 80/20 rule. 

PS:  don't forget to add the "@" when "quoting" a poster:   @DCPatriot @Jazzhead

You wouldn't know anything about Reagan 's 80/20 philosophy if 80% of it slapped 20% of your head.

As for the @...if I'd wanted your uninformed Populist/Liberal opinion I'd have put that in there.

I didn't want or need it so...  :shrug:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52:19 pm »

It sure does seem that way.

Although I'm not sure why - it wasn't the 'centrist' message that won the GOP the WH and both ends of capitol hill.

The GOP was very unambiguous about what they wanted to do then.