Author Topic: House GOP postpones ObamaCare repeal vote  (Read 1096 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House GOP postpones ObamaCare repeal vote
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:42:26 pm »
House GOP postpones ObamaCare repeal vote
By Scott Wong - 03/23/17 03:37 PM EDT

House GOP leaders are delaying Thursday’s expected vote on their ObamaCare repeal bill, a source told The Hill.

A House GOP conference meeting is set for 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Republicans aimed for a House vote on the seventh anniversary of ObamaCare becoming a law.

But members of the conservative House Freedom Caucus left a meeting with President Trump on Thursday afternoon without a deal in place to back the American Health Care Act.

Trump and GOP leaders are scrambling to find the 215 votes they’d need for the bill to pass the House.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/325497-house-gop-postpones-obamacare-repeal-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: House GOP postpones ObamaCare repeal vote
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:43:32 pm »
This thing is a hot mess

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »
They need more time for bribery and intimidation.  **nononono*
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

geronl

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:21 pm »

yep

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »
I do wish Ryan would go ahead and get a bill out in front acceptable to the Dems like Boehner would do.

It gives the Dems what they want, allows cover for the GOP RINOS, exposes Ryan as a leader of a party other than the GOP, and finally will be voted down embarrassingly in the Senate or rejected by Trump.

Am not confident on the latter, though.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:11 pm »
Trump and GOP leaders are scrambling to find the 215 votes they’d need for the bill to pass the House.

Good. Let them keep scrambling. Ain't going to do them any good though. The bill is a bucket of crap.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:59 pm »

Good. Let them keep scrambling. Ain't going to do them any good though. The bill is a bucket of crap.
I think it will be DOA when it hits the senate so the sooner we get back to the drawing board the better. The bar for functioning better than the ACA isn't all that high. I mean a corgi with two limbs cut off could clear that bar.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:41 pm »
After 7 long years of being told we need a majority in the House, we need a majority in the Senate, we need the Presidency and we will repeal obamacare after giving them all of that it's time to repeal obamacare.

If they want to replace it with something else do that separately.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:55 pm »
yep

They need to actually repeal Obamacare.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 09:42:16 pm »
After 7 long years of being told we need a majority in the House, we need a majority in the Senate, we need the Presidency and we will repeal obamacare after giving them all of that it's time to repeal obamacare.

The sophistry of the swamp creatures knows no bounds.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »
I think it will be DOA when it hits the senate so the sooner we get back to the drawing board the better. The bar for functioning better than the ACA isn't all that high. I mean a corgi with two limbs cut off could clear that bar.

Actually, given the partisan acrimony on Capitol Hill, I don't think you could dig a hole deep enough to set a sufficiently low bar to get anything passed. 

I really think that right now, the two parties are so irrationally opposed to the other side that they're unable to agree on anything, including the color of the sky.  Democrats are now saying that their entire strategy is based on obstruction.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
Ryan is a sorry excuse for a leader in my opinion. If this 3 phase mess is his very best, then shit can the whole thing, change leaders and start over.

But wait. His House colleagues picked him, as the best of their best.

Something tells me voters are not included in the process; lobbyists, campaign donors, etc. are however.

Oh and also "experts" from think tanks and big corporations like health care conglomerates, big pharma etc..
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »
Actually, given the partisan acrimony on Capitol Hill, I don't think you could dig a hole deep enough to set a sufficiently low bar to get anything passed. 

I really think that right now, the two parties are so irrationally opposed to the other side that they're unable to agree on anything, including the color of the sky.  Democrats are now saying that their entire strategy is based on obstruction.

True dat @r9etb  But now the GOP has majority control over the Legislature and the Executive branch they should be able to ramrod crap through the process, just as the Dems did for the last 8 years.
   The only problem they have now is that dam ol Freedom Caucus and Senators such as Lee and Cruz, and I say that thankfully and lovingly for these brave souls.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »
   True dat @r9etb  But now the GOP has majority control over the Legislature and the Executive branch they should be able to ramrod crap through the process, just as the Dems did for the last 8 years.
   The only problem they have now is that dam ol Freedom Caucus and Senators such as Lee and Cruz, and I say that thankfully and lovingly for these brave souls.

No, even if the GOP were totally unified, they'd need a few Democrats to go along with them. 

The difficulties Ryan and McConnell are trying to deal with, are rules-based.  The rules of the House and Senate govern a lot of what each body can do, and how.  Those rules have grown up over time, mainly as a way of moderating the behavior of the blocs that make up the voting body. 

In general those rules are a very good thing, as they tend to moderate the effects of virulent partisanship, if only by preventing Congress from getting anything done.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 10:42:10 pm »
The headline is a lie. This doesn't repeal ObamaCare, it merely tweaks it

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 10:43:24 pm »
The headline is a lie. This doesn't repeal ObamaCare, it merely tweaks it
It's not repeal and replace it's rename and resuscitate.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 10:46:56 pm »
Something tells me voters are not included in the process . . .

Considering what voters gave us to choose from in the last election, I'm not sure I'd trust them, either.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:10 pm »
In general those rules are a very good thing, as they tend to moderate the effects of virulent partisanship, if only by preventing Congress from getting anything done.

Whenever I hear anyone yapping about the "need" for government to "get things done," my first inclination is
to reply, "To whom?" ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online corbe

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:41 pm »
No, even if the GOP were totally unified, they'd need a few Democrats to go along with them. 

The difficulties Ryan and McConnell are trying to deal with, are rules-based.  The rules of the House and Senate govern a lot of what each body can do, and how.  Those rules have grown up over time, mainly as a way of moderating the behavior of the blocs that make up the voting body. 

kinda like the 'Hastert Rule' went to the wayside too, years ago.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:35 pm »
It's not repeal and replace it's rename and resuscitate.

that there is funny @Idaho_Cowboy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 11:03:18 pm »
Ryan is a sorry excuse for a leader in my opinion. If this 3 phase mess is his very best, then shit can the whole thing, change leaders and start over.

But wait. His House colleagues picked him, as the best of their best.

Something tells me voters are not included in the process; lobbyists, campaign donors, etc. are however.

Oh and also "experts" from think tanks and big corporations like health care conglomerates, big pharma etc..

Paul Ryan is a swamp creature through and through.  He is in fact married to it. His wife is a tax attorney and lobbyist.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:17 pm »

The truth should be plainly obvious by now to anyone breathing -

THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF REPEALING OBAMACARE.  Only making it 'more palpable' to the suffering masses until they can implement Single Payer.

Because that is exactly where ObamaCare will take the entire health industry - and the GOP knows and understands this full well.

Which is why they intend to leave it largely in place with their mitts on the till and the government having it's nose under the tent.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 12:44:13 am »

That's exactly right.  Trump has stated that he's done negotiating and he wants a deal Friday.  ??? Are you kidding me?  It is Congress that initiates bills and must be approved by the Senate and then signed into law by the President.  Trump needs to realize and understand this process.  If not approved by either House, the bill dies. This is what I've been afraid of with Trump; we are not a business that you can wheel and deal and strong arm. We are a Republic within a democracy and are rule of law is the United States Constitution. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/23/trump-done-negotiating-obamacare-replacement-bill-wants-vote-friday-white-house-says.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 12:47:21 am »
The truth should be plainly obvious by now to anyone breathing -

THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF REPEALING OBAMACARE.  Only making it 'more palpable' to the suffering masses until they can implement Single Payer.

Because that is exactly where ObamaCare will take the entire health industry - and the GOP knows and understands this full well.

Which is why they intend to leave it largely in place with their mitts on the till and the government having it's nose under the tent.

....and then the GOP can kiss their majority and the oval office good-bye.  Reflecting back; "Those who bolstered Trump 'will bear that responsibility going forward"...
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:51 am »
Paul Ryan is a swamp creature through and through.  He is in fact married to it. His wife is a tax attorney and lobbyist.
And Trump has being putting his weight behind Ryan's plan. I'm getting tired of all the Trumpers pining this on Ryan. Trump is behind this too. Turns out draining the swamp exposes oneself.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington