Author Topic: Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident  (Read 4427 times)

Offline thackney

Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Young-Central-Texas-barrel-racer-dies-in-freak-accident-416637633.html
Mar 20, 2017

The Caldwell community is mourning the loss of 10- year-old girl who died Saturday night at the Caldwell Rodeo.

Piper Faust was about to compete in barrel racing when her horse was spooked and fell backwards on top of her.

Piper Faust’s parents said their daughter had made a huge impact on the community in her short years.

At 10 -years-old Piper was competitive, lively, and helpful.

Her father, Brian Faust, said it was Piper's personality that made many adore her.

"People just met her and they were drawn to her. She was the brightest little star,” said Brian Faust.

Her mother, Rhonda, said Piper was a spitfire, competing in rodeo, dance, and softball.

She said Piper did everything with all of her heart.

"She had an all-around spirit that was just infection with a beautiful smile that she just came across to anyone anybody they were her friends. Her smile just made you smile,” said Rhonda Faust.

Her parents say her determination gave her a competitive edge in everything she pursued, including softball.

She was just this tiny girl with so much attitude, and they were not going to steal on her,” said Rhonda.

Piper's parents said for the last six months she stopped all of her activities to focus on what she loved the most, rodeo.

They have no doubt that she went home to heaven in the place that gave her the greatest peace.

"I think her heart stopped in the arena. She left her soul where she loved it," said Brian.

Her parents tell us Piper had an old soul and was constantly speaking about angels and her future.

"She'd always talk to the angels, and they would talk to her, and she always told us that she wouldn't live to be old, that she would die young, and she knew it,” said Brian.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Young Central Texas barrel racer dies in freak accident
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:32:07 pm »
Horses are big, stupid and dangerous.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:45:34 pm »
Horses are big, stupid and dangerous.

As a rider, and the parent of a barrel racer, I would have to say you are correct.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:18 pm »
As a rider, and the parent of a barrel racer, I would have to say you are correct.

My son's (not-yet-but-will-be) fiancé was a barrel racer in South Dakota.  She has about a mile of scars on one arm to prove it. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
Sad story. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »
My son's (not-yet-but-will-be) fiancé was a barrel racer in South Dakota.  She has about a mile of scars on one arm to prove it.

It can be tough for a parent as well as the participant.  My daughter has scars from it, including from the pins used to hold her arm together while it healed.

It is not a sport for the timid.

My daughter races in this arena.  We had good friends at this rodeo.  It was the girl's last run of the day.  After rearing up, the horse rolled over her.  They life-flighted her out.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:20 pm »

My daughter races in this arena.  We had good friends at this rodeo.  It was the girl's last run of the day.  After rearing up, the horse rolled over her.  They life-flighted her out.

As @Sanguine noted, very sad.  Sad stories happen while living life, don't they?  Prayers for the family.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »
A ten year old in a fast race like this does not compute.

Need more maturity and strength to turn the horse.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »

We compete in youth rodeo's nearly every weekend.  8 year olds and up are always in the groups.  For many families, it is an everyday fact of horse riding.  Our youngest, turning 8 soon, has been riding for years.  I had horses growing up far younger than her.  At 12 I broke our colt to the saddle.

It depends a LOT on the horse.

All that said, it also depends a lot on the kid.  I know a 11 year old, small frame girl, that runs the heck out of horses I am afraid to even set upon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:01:26 pm by thackney »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
As @Sanguine noted, very sad.  Sad stories happen while living life, don't they?  Prayers for the family.

My great grandmother had what looked like deformed fingers on both hands but one hand was mangled when she got it caught in the rigging while harnessing horses to a wagon when she was a teenager. Something spooked the horses and they reared up. The pinky on her other hand was bitten and broken by a horse when she was a little kid.

Not too many hospitals in Mancelona MI in the early 1900s so they did the best they could to set the bones at home.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:33:07 pm »
We compete in youth rodeo's nearly every weekend.  8 year olds and up are always in the groups.  For many families, it is an everyday fact of horse riding.  Our youngest, turning 8 soon, has been riding for years.  I had horses growing up far younger than her.  At 12 I broke our colt to the saddle.

It depends a LOT on the horse.

All that said, it also depends a lot on the kid.  I know a 11 year old, small frame girl, that runs the heck out of horses I am afraid to even set upon.
That is a large animal, high strung to run better, trying to be handled by a weak person.

I know it is done all the time, but the odds are there that calamity is more prone when a youngster is the handler rather than a mature person.

My wife is on the Houston Livestock Show every year as a volunteer, so we see it frequently.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:19 am »
A good friend of mine breeds barrel racing horses.  It is amazing how much those things cost. 

I am so sorry to hear of this young girl losing her life.  Prayers for her family.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:18:01 am »
It can be tough for a parent as well as the participant.  My daughter has scars from it, including from the pins used to hold her arm together while it healed.

It is not a sport for the timid.

A cousin of mine used to barrel race (and purt'near anything else that could be done on horseback). She had a wall full of ribbons, mostly blue and red, and a stable full of horses by the time she turned 18. She rolled her car and messed up her neck, and that was the end of that, but before that, watching her ride was a joy.

It's sad about this young lady, and my prayers are up for the family.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:18:57 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:38 am »

I was busting broncs at that age... Granted, they were probably the kinder, gentler green stock, but that's how you learn

geronl

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 05:43:20 am »
You can die walking on a sidewalk or doing just about anything else.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »
That is a large animal, high strung to run better, trying to be handled by a weak person.

I don't know this one in particular.  Most of the time, at this young age, we mostly see horses so gentle and well trained there is little effort at all required.  There are exceptions certainly, but we have even seen kids fall off and the horse complete the pattern without the rider.

The majority at this lower competitive level (as this event was) are not that high strung horse (like my daughter's freakout horse).

I know it is done all the time, but the odds are there that calamity is more prone when a youngster is the handler rather than a mature person.

My wife is on the Houston Livestock Show every year as a volunteer, so we see it frequently.

Houston is not a typical youth rodeo.  And that is a hard event most won't consider going to.  There is too much noise and commotion, the horses tend to get all jacked up.  Even Fort Bend County Fair has gotten bad with all the high noise level and no real room to warm up away from a crowd.  Far different atmosphere than at the  Buddy and Edile Lightsey Arena at the Burleson County Fair Grounds in Caldwell.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 01:02:02 pm »
I don't know this one in particular.  Most of the time, at this young age, we mostly see horses so gentle and well trained there is little effort at all required.  There are exceptions certainly, but we have even seen kids fall off and the horse complete the pattern without the rider.

The majority at this lower competitive level (as this event was) are not that high strung horse (like my daughter's freakout horse).

5 decades ago the mare I rode did all the work herself, all I had to do was stay in the saddle.  Until the day someone cut my saddle cinch nearly through.  I leaned hard, the cinch parted and I essentially rolled right under her feet.  Couldn't blame her for the freakout. 

I hadn't paid any attention to barrel racing in years.  I'm astounded at the prices on horses and gear these days.

It's just me, but that girls are probably safer with horses than they will ever be with cars as teenagers.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:23 pm »
I hadn't paid any attention to barrel racing in years.  I'm astounded at the prices on horses and gear these days.

There is no top end, someone willing to pay even more will always find something more expensive.

I'm amazed at the $150,000 dollar trailers with a custom $100,000 big rig truck carrying the $50,000 horse for the $100 jackpot Daddy's little girl is running in.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 01:21:06 pm »
5 decades ago the mare I rode did all the work herself, all I had to do was stay in the saddle.  Until the day someone cut my saddle cinch nearly through.  I leaned hard, the cinch parted and I essentially rolled right under her feet.  Couldn't blame her for the freakout. 

It's just me, but that girls are probably safer with horses than they will ever be with cars as teenagers.

I had a girlfriend who had a horse that liked to charge me. It would make a bee line for me at a full gallop, slide to a stop and snort in my face. It was friendly with me but that was just its thing when it came to me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:32:46 pm »
I had a girlfriend who had a horse that liked to charge me. It would make a bee line for me at a full gallop, slide to a stop and snort in my face. It was friendly with me but that was just its thing when it came to me.

Brings me to mind of an Arab stud I once trained. He liked me fine, and listened pretty good too, but when I stepped up to greet him, you'd swear he was going to tear me down. Full roaring gallop, snaking his head around, rearing up and pawing the air right in front of my face...

But he was just getting his giggles out. As soon as he was done carrying on, he'd drop down, put his ears forward and nuzzle around for a sugar cube.

Offline endicom

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »

Was the horse named NeverTrump?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »

Was the horse named NeverTrump?

Well it was a smart horse so it might have been.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 02:31:10 pm »

Caldwell 10-year-old laid to rest after rodeo accident
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hundreds-gather-to-remember--416885553.html
By Abby Knight | Posted: Wed 8:18 PM, Mar 22, 2017

Piper Faust was just 10-years-old. She died doing what she loved, barrel racing at the rodeo. Her horse was spooked and fell on top of her.

Piper loved to dance, sing, play softball, and dance, but her passion was the rodeo.

Tears filled the eyes of many inside the Burleson County Cowboy Church, where more than 900 gathered to honor Piper.

Friends and family said the girl had the brightest smile and the purest of hearts.

They said she always said she was not going to live long and that was okay, because her faith in God left her fearless.

"I think she knew. It was true that she knew more than we did," said McKenna Galbreath.

Galbreath trained Piper to ride and compete in rodeo. She said Piper spoke about angels. She would often see and describe them.

Piper’s aunt, Crystal Faust, said she has no doubt her niece is riding high in heaven, overlooking the ones she loved with all her heart.

"She's watching every bit of this, and her smile is just as big as ever was," said Crystal....

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 02:59:26 pm »

That's better than one I had who specialized in running me under every low horizontal he could find.  If he succeeded in scrapping me off, he' just stop dead in his tracks and wait for me to get back in the saddle.  Apparently it was all good fun to him.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »
That's better than one I had who specialized in running me under every low horizontal he could find.  If he succeeded in scrapping me off, he' just stop dead in his tracks and wait for me to get back in the saddle.  Apparently it was all good fun to him.

Related to: