Author Topic: ESPN Loses 422,000 Viewing Homes over the Last Month  (Read 1553 times)

Offline LonestarDream

ESPN Loses 422,000 Viewing Homes over the Last Month
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:09:59 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/03/08/espn-loses-whopping-422000-view-homes-last-month/

Monday Breitbart News reported that TV viewers are dropping cable subscriptions in droves for cheaper internet platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, posing an existential threat to ESPN.

Tuesday an online rating service spelled out exactly just how disastrous that fallout is just in the last month. According to SportsTV

Ratings.com, the world’s premier global cable and satellite sports television channel, ESPN, lost a stunning 422,000 viewing homes between February and March 2017. Fox Sports 1 didn’t fare very well either losing 77,000 homes.

Overall, 390,000 homes canceled their cable TV subscriptions.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

Re: ESPN Loses 422,000 Viewing Homes over the Last Month
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »
@Norm Lenhart
@Frank Cannon
@don-o
@Smokin Joe

Ask and ye shall receive .

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:54 pm »

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:02:49 pm »
   I'm actually fixing to call Dish and have them upgrade my package to include ESPN and TNT for the NBA playoffs-after the Spurs eliminate my Rockets in the second round I will go back to Basic.   This is my only luxury in life - NBA Playoffs, it does suck.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
   I'm actually fixing to call Dish and have them upgrade my package to include ESPN and TNT for the NBA playoffs-after the Spurs eliminate my Rockets in the second round I will go back to Basic.   This is my only luxury in life - NBA Playoffs, it does suck.

As a Washington Bullets fan, I have not had that luxury in decades.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:51:04 am »
Back in 1980 my company entered in to a deal with ESPN to sponsor a WPBA televised thing. It was held in Sarasota Fl.  My boss sent me.  It cost us 10K     ESPN sucks and so did the Bowlers.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:58:47 am »
This is why I hate ESPN.  For reducing the office of the President of the United States to this for eight straight years:

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:08:43 am »
What's the big deal here? Another left wing news outlet is hemorrhaging viewers just like all the others.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:11:16 am »
   @Wingnut  Did you meet this guy?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:14:26 am »
What's the big deal here? Another left wing news outlet is hemorrhaging viewers just like all the others.

Learning to live comfortably with (1) Strong Digital antenna for local programming, (2) Netflix (3) Amazon Prime (4) Web for news

I see the demise of cable as accelerating.  For TV, I figured there is enough content on (2) and (3) for the rest of my life.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:36 am »
   @Wingnut  Did you meet this guy?

Lordy corbe.... it was the womens bowling assn...   The sacks were smaller.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 04:20:13 am »
This is why I hate ESPN.  For reducing the office of the President of the United States to this for eight straight years:

It isn't ESPN's fault that Obama was a total jerk.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 04:21:34 am »

Yeah, priorities.  I actually subscribed to the hated Dallas Morning News for the Cowboy season because they do have a good sports section.  I've cancelled now.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 04:24:26 am »

Like he needed any help.  But I digress.  Did you have a question? 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:24:53 am »

If they just showed sports but most of their programming is their idiotic sports reporters ...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 05:19:35 am »
If they just showed sports but most of their programming is their idiotic sports reporters ...

Even if they would just stick to sports period.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 07:11:33 am »
Ok how do they know people are cancelling ESPN...in my house we have been very very PO'd with the Cartoon Network for months since the unforgivable slight to Homer Simpson and since CN is bundled with ESPN it had to go too... :shrug:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:30 am »
Even if they would just stick to sports period.

Unfortunately, they have turned the sports themselves into a political tool. It's become symbiotic and self sustaining. The leagues push the lefts agenda on a variety of subjects and like magic, the 'talent' reports on it leading to more coverage of more issues and the viscous circle expands every time it goes around.

And considering all the actual crime in pro/college sports and surrounding them, it would be about impossible to not report on/mention it. So when the latest felon scored his 3rd touchdown, it would look like a coverup if the 'talent' just stuck to reporting on his ingame performance.

ESPN itself and any sports pub has lost any cred. Their fired 'talent' will simply turn up in more local papers/shows and further ruin them when they bring their DNC trained reporting styles with them. And the teams/leagues arent going to change anything at all until their income is directly and negatively impacted hard.

There really is no good outcome here that I can envision other than a collapse and ground up restructuring of the whole mess and we all know that's not likely. The collapse yes. The restructure, no. They will simply rebuild the system they have as long as people pay them to do it.

All we can do is take the hit to our 'entertainment' and not pay for our own problems.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:44 am »
Disney owns ESPN, which is enough reason to cancel alone.

Plus, they've been on their own left-wing trajectory for some time now.  We watch sports to escape from babbling idiots who preach their PC nonsense at us, which ESPN is slowly learning the hard way.

Over the years they've beat up the cable companies by charging something in the neighborhood of $7 per viewer for their package, which is a big chunk of your cable bill.  When both consumers and the cable companies feel they are being gouged something eventually has to give.

Top talent such as Tom Jackson have supposedly been pressured recently to take demotions and/or renegotiate their contracts.  In Jackson's case, he just quit.  Many people, such as myself, only watched the NFL pregame and wrap up because of Tom Jackson - he was the best.  Despite being told by the PC Police that I'm a racist and should be shot on site, I always suffered through the other analyst's gibberish just to wait for Tom Jackson's turn to speak.  He is greatly missed, I hope he reappears on another network.

Monday Night Football is unwatchable.  Besides giving us the King Of All Dingleberries, Jon Gruden, the games themselves stink.  The NFL doles out the schedule and used to ensure MNF always had primo matchups.  Not any more.  The NFL has punished ESPN by scheduling the Browns vs the Bears low interest type games.  And despite the double whammy of stinkers for games and the unbearable Gruden, rumor has it Gruden has the largest salary at ESPN by a long shot.  Monday Night Football has become a black hole of a cash drain.

When Carlos Slim buys Disney they can mix half hour specials on the wonders of Fidel Castro into their programming.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
For me not watching ESPN and a number of other cable stations is caused by cable's unaffordability.  I once had all the sports, news/talk and movie stations, plus I had the bundle with phone and internet.  Seemed like every month the cost was increasing.  Finally cut down my cable to bare minimum channels and got out of the bundle.  But even with basic cable, my bill is now around $100. 

Probably should get rid of cable altogether, but I live in a valley surrounded by hills. Not sure an antenna will work for me. I used to have one years ago, and the reception sucked.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 02:18:49 pm »

True...but it IS their fault for letting their hard left Liberalism loose on the air constantly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 03:04:21 pm »
True...but it IS their fault for letting their hard left Liberalism loose on the air constantly.

:beer:  That's the bottom line.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »

That is true.. Why should I spend money to just so I can see a sports reporter being a blowhard.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »
Overall, 390,000 homes canceled their cable TV subscriptions.
I am one of them, effective order date Jan. 31, 2017. But the company has yet to shut down the service. My wife and daughter will be fine, if they do not shut it off. I have barely watched it over the past few years, opting instead for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, YouTube, etc.

Three sets, and 3 Roku devices, for streaming video. Plus OTA antenna. (Over the Air)

Our big regional carrier was Verizon FIOS, dating back to General Telephone days. It was at one point clearly the best signal.

But they sold out to Frontier, which was from day one, a crappy company.

Although we still had the cable, as a test, I tried Super Bowl, on Internet--just fine.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:20:16 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rodamala

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
Fake Sports.