Author Topic: Sleep: why they used to do it twice a night  (Read 952 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sleep: why they used to do it twice a night
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:54:22 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/24/sleep-twice-a-night-anxiety

This is not a new idea. For centuries we were accustomed to the idea of "first sleep" or "dead sleep" and "second sleep". It was accepted that between this first bout of slumber and the next there would lie an hour or so of quiet wakefulness, sometimes known as a "watch". This period was often used for prayer, or writing, or sex, or even for visiting the neighbours. But the idea of two sleeps dwindled in the late 17th century, so that by 1920 it was practically obsolete. For the last century or so we have been wedded to the idea of eight solid hours abed. And since the key to our sense of restedness often lies in our perception of how much sleep we have had, the figure of eight hours looms large.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Sleep: why they used to do it twice a night
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:13 pm »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:43:34 pm »
I've seriously been considering trying a poly-phasic sleep cycle to get more done.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:52:36 pm »
I wonder why it fell out of fashion?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:50 pm »
I've read that our hormones change based on our light exposure time. If you limit yourself to only 10 hours or so of bright light a day you can get on a biphasic cycle. So it's not that great unless you want to work in the dark.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:02 pm »
I've read that our hormones change based on our light exposure time. If you limit yourself to only 10 hours or so of bright light a day you can get on a biphasic cycle. So it's not that great unless you want to work in the dark.

That makes sense.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:18:54 pm »

Probably due to the increased availability of inexpensive artificial light (candles, then oil, then gas, then electric); or, the rise of the middle class allowed more people to afford artificial light.  Stay up later, and your sleep cycles converge.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:19:30 pm by r9etb »