Author Topic: Sid Miller to approve new technique for killing feral hogs: poison  (Read 2403 times)

Offline thackney

Sid Miller to approve new technique for killing feral hogs: poison
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/sid-miller-approve-new-technique-for-killing-feral-hogs-poison

The man who gained fame for successfully allowing hunters to shoot hogs from helicopters is now championing another strategy to hasten what he calls “the feral hog apocalypse”: poison.

Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller will announce Tuesday that he is approving a pesticide, “Kaput Feral Hog Lure,” for statewide use. He says the product, poisoned bait food, is the first specifically designed to control the feral hog population, now estimated at more than 2.5 million in Texas.

Feral hogs cause at least $50 million in damage annually to Texas agriculture, destroying crops and livestock tanks, as well as causing untold damage in suburban areas, where they dig up homeowners’ yards and dine on cable and internet lines.

“They’re so prolific, you can’t hardly keep them in check,” Miller told the American-Statesman. Sows have been known to produce two litters a year, typically with four to six offspring in each litter. “This is going to be the hog apocalypse, if you like: If you want them gone, this will get them gone.”

As a state senator, Miller authored legislation that allowed for the aerial killing of hogs. Now, on average, 27,500 hogs are killed that way annually.

Feral hogs were introduced to North America by Spanish settlers who set domestic pigs free into the woods so that they could breed freely. Overall, as many as 750,000 are harvested annually, but the problem is a growing one.

Enter Kaput.

The product is basically bait food laced with warfarin, used as a blood thinner for humans but apparently lethal in hogs.

Miller said licensees will be able to set out nontoxic bait food for the hogs in feeders that require the strength of an adult hog to access. Once the hogs grow accustomed to the food, licensees can replace the nontoxic bait with the toxic variety.

Miller, who said he is changing state agricultural rules to allow the product’s use, said Kaput presents a “minimal risk to other animals” because it requires much higher dosages to affect other wildlife populations or livestock.

He said officials at the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service support the rule change and the use of warfarin for feral hog population control, but an official at Texas A&M who oversees feral hog operations declined to comment Monday.

The product was developed by Colorado-based Genesis Laboratories and will be sold by its sister company, Scimetrics.

“Hogs are particularly sensitive to warfarin,” Genesis President Richard Poché said.

Poché said the hog bait contains only one-fifth of the concentration found in conventional rat and mouse baits. He said that after 25 years of working with warfarin, numerous studies have found only minimal effects on wildlife, such as ferrets, magpies, alligators and birds of various species, when used at the low concentration in the bait.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said the agency had been consulted....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Sid Miller to approve new technique for killing feral hogs: poison
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »
Lots of hunters are upset with this.  No one wants to shoot and eat a hog that was poisoned.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:59:34 pm »
Lots of hunters are upset with this.  No one wants to shoot and eat a hog that was poisoned.

This also looks like a great example of "unintended consequences". 

We do eat feral hog on occasion.  It's good. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:28:40 pm »
If the dosage stated is correct, you can eat them without too much worry. Wouldn't eat an entire hog at one sitting, mind, but a few ribs or a couple chops would still be harmless unless you have hemophilia, sickle cell anemia or thalassimia.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:47 pm »
If the dosage stated is correct, you can eat them without too much worry. Wouldn't eat an entire hog at one sitting, mind, but a few ribs or a couple chops would still be harmless unless you have hemophilia, sickle cell anemia or thalassimia.

Or, take a prescribed blood thinner.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:52:21 pm »
Is it open season on these critters?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:05 pm »

There is no season for pigs.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:46 pm »

Always.  You can shoot them day or night all year long.

No bag limit.  Hunt over bait, use dogs, trap, etc

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »

A Texas hunting license is not required to hunt depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:54 pm »
A Texas hunting license is not required to hunt depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits
Someone should set up a website where landowners could leave contact info for hunters and hunters could come in (with permission, of course) and hunt the hogs. It could even have ratings for both parties (like the stars for vendors or purchasers on some sites) where 'good' hunters could be rated well, not so good could be left with less of a glowing recommendation.

This could help interested parties hook up with interested property owners and get the hogs in freezers. The property owner could designate someone as an agent for a specified period of time, and that person could just carry the form with them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:59:19 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:37 pm »
There is no season for pigs.

Democrats?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
Someone should set up a website where landowners could leave contact info for hunters and hunters could come in (with permission, of course) and hunt the hogs. It could even have ratings for both parties (like the stars for vendors or purchasers on some sites) where 'good' hunters could be rated well, not so good could be left with less of a glowing recommendation.

This could help interested parties hook up with interested property owners and get the hogs in freezers. The property owner could designate someone as an agent for a specified period of time, and that person could just carry the form with them.

That's an interesting idea.  I like it.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:24:34 pm »

That was my first thought as well. That and other animals eating the dead poisoned hogs.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:34 pm »

I've had the same thought.

Kind of a hunting guide for farms and other private property.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »
I've had the same thought.

Kind of a hunting guide for farms and other private property.
I would think the site would pay for itself, with ads for smokers and curing supplies/equipment for hams and bacon...not to mention various hog hunting paraphernalia and baits and such.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:57 pm »

Or pregnant. I wouldn't want to touch something like that if I was pregnant.

Other than that, I hear wild boar is good. I wonder if it's like ham but gamier.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:47:42 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:35 pm »
I would think the site would pay for itself, with ads for smokers and curing supplies/equipment for hams and bacon...not to mention various hog hunting paraphernalia and baits and such.

The idea came to me several years ago when I was in the upper peninsula and spent a couple of nights sitting around a campfire with Japanese tourists. They told me that Japanese don't hunt due to the lack of space, the expenses of gaining access to an approved hunting ground, not to mention the expense and restrictions on guns there.

There would be some expensive insurance needed to offset the liabilities but the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese businessmen would pay out some big bucks for a week of hunting whitetails. We've got some monster whitetails in far southern Michigan.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
The idea came to me several years ago when I was in the upper peninsula and spent a couple of nights sitting around a campfire with Japanese tourists. They told me that Japanese don't hunt due to the lack of space, the expenses of gaining access to an approved hunting ground, not to mention the expense and restrictions on guns there.

There would be some expensive insurance needed to offset the liabilities but the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese businessmen would pay out some big bucks for a week of hunting whitetails. We've got some monster whitetails in far southern Michigan.
Liability waivers go a long way to defray any insurance costs. Include firearm training (Basic hunter safety) and a little range time and offer the whole package. I'm not sure what guide licensing requirements there are there, but that might all work together. As a bonus, whether or not they get a deer, they get to shoot, and that nice stable of rifles is a tax write off.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 05:11:35 pm »
Liability waivers go a long way to defray any insurance costs. Include firearm training (Basic hunter safety) and a little range time and offer the whole package. I'm not sure what guide licensing requirements there are there, but that might all work together. As a bonus, whether or not they get a deer, they get to shoot, and that nice stable of rifles is a tax write off.

We have new hunting camp for wounded vets about a mile downriver from me.

https://camp-liberty.org/