Author Topic: "Executive Order—Arrest and Imprisonment of Irresponsible Newspaper Reporters and Editors"  (Read 4414 times)

Offline mrclose

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=70018

Citation: Abraham Lincoln: "Executive Order—Arrest and Imprisonment of Irresponsible Newspaper Reporters and Editors," May 18, 1864. Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:45:46 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Are you advocating Trump does the same thing?

What's your point exactly?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mrclose

Are you advocating Trump does the same thing?

What's your point exactly?
I had no idea that this had happened and I pride myself on knowing our history.

A question: If it got to the point that 'fake' news was endangering the country and the safety of it's people .. what would you suggest be done?

Why do I suspect that some folks would say to lock up Trump if he was responsible for fake news but the Media has a Right to their version of fake news!

~ Self

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah,  some of us aren't such big fans of Lincoln.   But,  I guess the ends justified the means.

geronl

"Fake News" is not endangering the country at the moment.

We are not in a shooting civil war with the enemy camped miles from the White House. We don't have berms and sandbag walls around DC and gunboats on the Potomac.

By the way, with Trump it's "opinions dictate facts". Facts are whatever his side feels they should be; "alternative facts". We have a President who rejects intelligence reports and substitutes what he thinks are the real facts in their place.

geronl

Why do I suspect that some folks would say to lock up Trump if he was responsible for fake news but the Media has a Right to their version of fake news!

The media doesn't hold elective office and does not work for us.

Offline Frank Cannon

"Fake News" is not endangering the country at the moment.

We are not in a shooting civil war with the enemy camped miles from the White House. We don't have berms and sandbag walls around DC and gunboats on the Potomac.

It does not surprise me in the least that you have justifications for suspending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Offline the_doc

I'll bet that if you surveyed the Texans on TBR, you would find that many if not most of us knew about Lincoln's overreach in more than one area.  Most Republicans just treat Lincoln as a saint--which explains why you had never heard about Lincoln jailing dissenters in the press.

@Sanguine

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Lincoln was not a nice guy. For all his talk of preserving the union, he had almost no respect for Constitutional and human rights. His goal was to crush any and all rebellion, at all costs.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Lincoln did this and much more. Imprisoned an entire state legislature, even threatened to arrest a USSC justice.

It was a time of insurrection so habeas corpus was suspended with an act of Congress.

Truth is the President with the complicity of Congress can do whatever he wants.

FDR threw people in jail for committing no other crime than being a certain ethnicity, last century.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'll bet that if you surveyed the Texans on TBR, you would find that many if not most of us knew about Lincoln's overreach in more than one area.  Most Republicans just treat Lincoln as a saint--which explains why you had never heard about Lincoln jailing dissenters in the press.

@Sanguine

I didn't want to restart the refight of the war again,  but it is important we know our history.

Offline Frank Cannon

Lincoln was not a nice guy. For all his talk of preserving the union, he had almost no respect for Constitutional and human rights. His goal was to crush any and all rebellion, at all costs.

:thumbsup2:

John Merryman comes to mind.

Offline Frank Cannon

I didn't want to restart the refight of the war again.....

Sure you did. Everyone knows you are still grinding an ax over the War of Northern Aggression.

geronl

FDR threw people in jail for committing no other crime than being a certain ethnicity, last century.

They even tossed Koreans and Taiwanese in those camps and these were VICTIMS of Japanese aggression. They decided that since the Japanese occupied these lands, to treat them as if they were Japanese.

Silver Pines

A question: If it got to the point that 'fake' news was endangering the country and the safety of it's people .. what would you suggest be done?

@mrclose

Why are we waiting?  I'm sure something can be drummed up so that an EO can be jotted down and we can get to work imprisoning journalists.  Let's go!

• Technical
@mrclose

Why are we waiting?  I'm sure something can be drummed up so that an EO can be jotted down and we can get to work imprisoning journalists.  Let's go!

Nowadays with Twitter and social media Trump would have to lock up half the country.

Everytime there is a riot or something happening live I go on Twitter, Twitch, and live streaming websites. Every single person with a smartphone is essentially a journalist. Oftentimes the live streams are better than what's on the news.

The cat is out of the bag. Trump or any would be tyrant (not that I think that's what Trump is, I don't) couldn't contain the media if he wanted to.

Offline the_doc

Sure you did. Everyone knows you are still grinding an ax over the War of Northern Aggression.

A lot of us Texans are still grinding an ax.  The inarguable travesty of slavery aside, States' Rights are still a  bigger deal in Texas than in most states.  Many of us Republicans blame the Republican Party itself for much of the mess we are in.

Silver Pines

Nowadays with Twitter and social media Trump would have to lock up half the country.

Everytime there is a riot or something happening live I go on Twitter, Twitch, and live streaming websites. Every single person with a smartphone is essentially a journalist. Oftentimes the live streams are better than what's on the news.

The cat is out of the bag. Trump or any would be tyrant (not that I think that's what Trump is, I don't) couldn't contain the media if he wanted to.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Or some of his supporters.

It's true, though...I get a lot of my news from Twitter.  It gets mocked a lot, but it's really just a good live source of what's happening at any moment. 

geronl

Trump or any would be tyrant (not that I think that's what Trump is, I don't) couldn't contain the media if he wanted to.

In this country at any rate, it'd get real nasty real quick.

We aren't Russia

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
They even tossed Koreans and Taiwanese in those camps and these were VICTIMS of Japanese aggression. They decided that since the Japanese occupied these lands, to treat them as if they were Japanese.
I'm curious about how many of those, there were? And your source?

Besides Japanese, we also interned also interned Germans and Italians.

We were in an all out war, started by Japan, Germany and Italy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes,  it keeps me up at night.

Offline mrclose

I do find the media as being complicit in the invasion of our country by another turd world country!

California is already resettled!
~ Self

• Technical
I do find the media as being complicit in the invasion of our country by another turd world country!

California is already resettled!

So you want Trump to start locking up journalists?

GOP would certainly turn on Trump who doesn't even have that high of an approval rating.

Impeachment, conviction, Trump (and his business empire) likely ruined for life.

Ain't happening.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:24:51 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yes,  it keeps me up at night.
Might I suggest you use a wet stone then, it's much quieter than the grinding wheel.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

You should see some of the crap his supporters pimp on twitter. There are some scary stupid people out there.

One was pushing a twitter poll asking if Trump should arrest and replace governors who disobey Trump immigration orders. Several thousand votes and 98% yes.  That was several thousand people too stupid to vote in a real election.