Author Topic: Maps reveal schizophrenia 'hotspots' in England  (Read 1434 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Maps reveal schizophrenia 'hotspots' in England
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »
Maps have revealed "hotspots" of schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses in England, based on the amount of medication prescribed by GPs.

The analysis by the University of East London showed North Kesteven, in Lincolnshire, had the highest rates.

The lowest rate of schizophrenia prescriptions was in East Dorset.

However, explaining the pattern across England is complicated and the research team says the maps pose a lot of questions.

They were developed using anonymous prescription records that are collected from doctors' surgeries in England.

They record only prescriptions given out by GPs - not the number of patients treated - so hospital treatment is missed in the analysis.

Data between October 2015 and September 2016 showed the average number of schizophrenia prescriptions across England was 19 for every 1,000 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39082595

I am not a statistician but 19/1000 seems pretty crazy.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Victoria33

Re: Maps reveal schizophrenia 'hotspots' in England
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »
General Practitioners (GPs) should not be giving prescriptions for schizophrenia.  They cannot determine if a patient has that or not.  It requires long psychological testing and a long interview with the patient to determine actual behavior, before that diagnosis could be given.  That is a serious diagnosis.

Therefore, these GPs giving prescriptions does not mean that many patients have schizophrenia.  They are just giving pills to have something to do with the patient and keep them coming back for more pills.  Remember they have universal health care and the patient doesn't give them any money.  They get money from the government and the more patients they see the better reputation they have with the money giving government.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »
In the US, an individual with a PhD in Psychology cannot prescribe medications. That takes an MD.

Therefore individuals with Masters and Doctors in Psychology, have cooperative arrangements with MDs to write prescriptions for medications.

Maybe the same is true for the UK, whereby the GPs act upon the recommendations of the "Psychology" professions.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
A psychiatrist can give pills in the US, as he is a medical doctor.
That is true for the US, but in England, the rule could be different and likely is.  I will look that up.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »
@Victoria33 @truth_seeker @Scutter

Since this map is based only on prescriptions it doesn't point to who or how many people taking them are schizophrenic. We would have to see the drug list the UK med professionals consider treatment for schizophrenia. I bet some of the drugs on the list are used for treating depression or bipolar disorder, too.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:19:55 pm »
I found this study concerning GPs in this country.  Some GPs do start patients on anti-psychotic  medication.

"Most GPs expressed the view that they have a limited knowledge of pharmacotherapy. Starting a patient with schizophrenia on antipsychotic medication is considered to be the psychiatrist's responsibility. The GP's practice is usually involved in restarting medication or continuing prescription. For example, if experience with a previous antipsychotic drug has been positive, the GP will prescribe the same medication. In case of a newly diagnosed psychotic patient, six out of the 19 GPs will start the patient on antipsychotic medication themselves, whereas other GPs are inclined to refer the patient to specialized care immediately."

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
@Victoria33 @truth_seeker @Scutter

Since this map is based only on prescriptions it doesn't point to who or how many people taking them are schizophrenic. We would have to see the drug list the UK med professionals consider treatment for schizophrenia. I bet some of the drugs on the list are used for treating depression or bipolar disorder, too.
@bigheadfred

Yes, you are right about this.  A GP can write a prescription, but it may be the wrong one for that mental condition if the patient has not been referred first to a psychiatrist for evaluation.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 05:30:33 pm »
@Victoria33

I learned in one of my psych classes that bipolar and schizophrenia are extremely hard to diagnose.
A lot of people are indeed misdiagnosed.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:41:43 am »
@Victoria33
Don't these anti-psychotic medications have serious long term side effects? I remember reading something about a "thorazine shuffle"...
@Scutter

I have prescribed small Thorazine tablets for myself.  I am deathly allergic to shrimp, crab, clam, and garlic is there is significant garlic used.  In case I accidentally get any of those things, I have Thorazine tablets to take - ONE of them.  I guarantee one will knock you out and that is what it is supposed to do if I accidentally ingest one of those "poison" foods (unbearable nausea, skin turns red, have chills).  I have had this little bottle of these pills for several years.  I keep a small container in my purse with a few of these pills, I am never without them.

There is no way I would take one of those just to take it.  No one can function with one of those pills.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 03:05:40 am »
I would think an epi-pen is better for that.
@Scutter

An Epi-pen is for outer things that get you, like stings.  Serious food allergies are internal so need internal anti-nausea pill.  Thorazine will soon stop it and knocks you out while that is taking place and that is a good thing at that moment.

Offline anubias

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 03:55:56 am »
Explains a lot.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 04:18:37 am »
An EpiPen won't scratch that inner itch.