Author Topic: Treating Migraines: More Ways to Fight the Pain  (Read 908 times)

rangerrebew

Treating Migraines: More Ways to Fight the Pain
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:23:52 am »

Treating Migraines: More Ways to Fight the Pain

Red envelope icon for Govdelivery Get Consumer Updates by email.

Thought there was no hope for treating your migraine headaches? Don’t give up.

Adults who don’t tolerate migraine drugs well might find relief from a prescription device. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has allowed the marketing of two such prescription devices: the Cerena Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator and the Cefaly transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation device. Both devices have been shown in clinical studies to be effective and pose minimal risks and side effects when used according to their labeling.

Migraine headaches are characterized by intense pulsing or throbbing pain in one area of the head accompanied by nausea and/or vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. A migraine can last four to 72 hours when untreated. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 12 percent of Americans (about 37 million people) have migraines. These debilitating headaches affect children and adults, and women are three times more likely to have migraines than men (about 18 percent of women have migraines).

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm414707.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:24:49 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Treating Migraines: More Ways to Fight the Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:14 am »
Patient education: Migraine headaches in adults (Beyond the Basics)

Authors
    Zahid H Bajwa, MD
    R Joshua Wootton, MDiv, PhD

Section Editor
    Jerry W Swanson, MD, MHPE

Deputy Editor
    John F Dashe, MD, PhD

MIGRAINE HEADACHE OVERVIEW

Headaches can be quite debilitating, although the vast majority are not due to life-threatening disorders. Approximately 90 percent of headaches are caused by one of three syndromes (table 1):

●Migraine headache

●Tension-type headaches

●Cluster headaches

This article discusses migraine headaches in adults. Other types of headaches are discussed separately. (See "Patient education: Headache causes and diagnosis in adults (Beyond the Basics)" and "Patient education: Headache treatment in adults (Beyond the Basics)".)

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/migraine-headaches-in-adults-beyond-the-basics?view=print
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:27:47 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:29 am »
What is a migraine aura?
A:
Quick Answer

An aura is a set of sensory symptoms individuals may experience before a migraine begins, explains Mayo Clinic. Auras often involve visual warning signs, such as flashes of light, blind spots or floating zigzag lines. A person may also experience facial or hand numbness or temporary speech disturbances. Continue Reading
Keep Learning

What are some ocular migraine symptoms?
    What is a basilar migraine?
    What causes a migraine?

https://www.reference.com/health/migraine-aura-bb997f40edb6cc1c?qo=cdpArticles#
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:31:34 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
What is a migraine aura?

Patient education: Migraine headaches in adults (Beyond the Basics)

Treating Migraines: More Ways to Fight the Pain...

Would it create more discussion if you combined these different articles on the same topic into one thread instead of separating them?  I don't understand the purpose in picking one topic but making multiple threads at nearly the same time.

I used to suffer rather severely from Migraines several times a year over a couple decades.  A back injury caused me to get full spinal x-rays.  Bone "spurs" growing on my neck vertebrae from an old "minor" injury turned out to be the cause. 

Basic chiropractic treatment, combined with stretching exercise completely eliminated the pressure problems.  I haven't had the problem in over a decade. 

I had reached the point where I was hiding in closets due to extreme sensitivity to light and sound during a bad "outbreak" a few times a year.  Now it is hard to even write about the topic without an overwhelming desire to stretch around my neck.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:34:38 pm »
A few people I know had their Migraines relieved by Chiropractors in just a treatment or two.  I was skeptical until I had the same experience with headaches after a car wreck many, many years ago.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:43:19 pm »
I had one a few years ago, exactly as described. Was pretty shocking.