Author Topic: Drivers say N.C. billboard is offensive to women  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Drivers say N.C. billboard is offensive to women
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »
This N.C. billboard is angering drivers, who say it is sexist

A billboard on Interstate 40 West near Winston-Salem is angering many who say its message is offensive to women.

The board reads: “Real men provide. Real women appreciate it.” The owner of a Winston-Salem women’s boutique called Kleur has organized a demonstration against the billboard’s message for Sunday at 11 a.m.

“We are NOT protesting that the sign is capable of existing, or the people who put it up, or the ad agency, or the right to put it up. We are protesting patriarchy and sexism, and that this antiquated way of thinking about women exists at all,” the group’s Facebook page said.

The protest takes place at the billboard’s location on I-40 West, headed into Winston -Salem from Kernersville. It is about 85 miles northeast of Charlotte.

The billboard belongs to Whiteheart Outdoor Advertising, and owner Bill Whiteheart said the organization that bought the space doesn’t want to be identified.

Women's March on Charlotte

Saturday's Women's March on Charlotte, which drew at least 10,000 people. The mile-long uptown march was scheduled to coincide with a national demonstration Saturday in Washington, D.C., the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration as president. "The Women’s

Diedra Laird The Charlotte Observer
The Associated Press contributed.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article134440999.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Drivers say N.C. billboard is offensive to women
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:39 pm »
As a woman, I love this billboard. I cannot believe the comments on this news article.

These women make me ashamed to be a woman. I would gladly march to Washington for real men.  :beer: :cheerlead: :kisses2:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:16 pm »
I fail to see the problem with either part of this billboard.  If someone dooesn't like it, then he/she doesn't have to participate in such a relationship.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:43:38 pm »
I fail to see the problem with either part of this billboard.  If someone dooesn't like it, then he/she doesn't have to participate in such a relationship.

That's absolutely true, in a perfect world. But all these women getting their panties bunched up over it, I just wanted to put in my two cents and say not all women today feel like that.

Unfortunately I think more women think like that then not?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:44:27 pm by Freya »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:09 pm »
Aren't these women going to miss time off from their jobs?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:08:39 pm »
That's absolutely true, in a perfect world. But all these women getting their panties bunched up over it, I just wanted to put in my two cents and say not all women today feel like that.

Unfortunately I think more women think like that then not?

True.  It's getting more and more difficult to find a woman who appreciates a man.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »
Aren't these women going to miss time off from their jobs?

One thing many people fail to appreciate is how wonderful America is, in that it took a HUGE influx of the labor pool and still maintained prosperity. 

Another thing many people fail to appreciate is how the Gross Domestic Product artificially inflates productivity, by counting both a working mother and childcare worker as "product", versus neither for a stay-at-home parent.
+++++++++

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
Weird.
The owner of a 'woman's boutique' is organising the protest? Really? What could be more sexist and gender specific than that? Her business epitomizes exactly what the sign is talking about.
Confusing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:15:11 pm »
True.  It's getting more and more difficult to find a woman who appreciates a man.

It's also getting harder to find a woman who can make a good samich.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:41:39 pm »
   It's also getting harder to find a woman who can make a good samich.

Or be barefoot and preggers while making it. 

What in the hell is this world coming to?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:58 pm »

These are the women that frown when a gentleman opens the door for them too.

Time to treat those who want to be treated like this the right way.  Let's say zero handouts then from anyone, including government subsidies.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:52 pm »
and perhaps they favor being more hospitably received by Islam.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,250801.msg1238865.html#msg1238865
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:15 pm »
Weird.
The owner of a 'woman's boutique' is organising the protest? Really? What could be more sexist and gender specific than that? Her business epitomizes exactly what the sign is talking about.
Confusing.

@240B
@Freya

240B, I hope you don't mind, but I stole your idea.  I found the website for the shop (it's full of leftist feminist BS) and I sent them this email:

Hello,

I am a male who happens to be in the process of transitioning to female, and I saw your response to the billboard about women/men/providing.  I have some issues with it, if you will listen.

First of all, you call yourself a "women's boutique."  Personally I find this rather sexist and offensive.  Not to over-use the term "triggered", but I will just say that my personal life experiences have led me to prefer more gender-neutral language.  If I were to visit your shop, I would not feel comfortable in my own skin, as I have not yet transitioned fully.  I think you should take such human issues into consideration.

Also, providing is not always a negative thing.  My partner takes care of me because I am emotionally fragile.  There is so much prejudice against people who understand in their souls that they are NOT  really the sex they are born with.   I am male but I have always known I am really not.   I've  had to deal with so much baseless bigotry against what I know is my true sex, and so I do not find it possible to work anymore.  I have an emotional support animal, a spider monkey who is like a friend to me, but sometimes he is not enough to help me face the world.

I just wanted to let you know that sometimes we have unconscious prejudices of our own that are not always apparent,  that can be unintentionally unPC and hurtful. 

Perhaps some day I'll bring myself to visit your shop and we can chat about it.  Just wondering---I have not always received a helpful response when I travel with my monkey.  If I were to come there, would you allow me to bring him along?

Thank you.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:29:06 pm »
It is sexist, and I can see very well why people would find it offensive. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
@240B
@Freya
240B, I hope you don't mind, but I stole your idea.  I found the website for the shop (it's full of leftist feminist BS) and I sent them this email:

Excellent, @CatherineofAragon!
Please share any reply you get!   ^-^
+++++++++

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:09 pm »
One comment noted that they thought the billboard was designed to silence women.

I don't see anything pro-Muslim in that billboard at all.

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 10:25:23 pm »
Excellent, @CatherineofAragon!
Please share any reply you get!   ^-^

Thanks, @Suppressed.  I will.   :laugh:

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 09:24:45 am »
Weird.
Confusing.

Here's an idea for those protestors that surely would be viewed as a win/win.  Stop using cosmetics.

Many portions of cosmetic formulas come from petroleum.  Save the planet, stop the rising tides, do it for the children and toss your cosmetics in the trash.  Put down the war paint that only debases women and save the planet in the process.  There's your win/win right there.

And as an added bonus those dirty rotten neanderthal men will find you less attractive.  You don't need them anyway, right?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 11:44:59 am »
It is sexist, and I can see very well why people would find it offensive.
Perhaps, but the argument could be made that real men (and real women) don't care. :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 12:30:22 pm »
Why do I have a suspicion that the guy who bought this was a man whose ex-girlfriend didn't appreciate what he did for her?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:14 pm »
Here's an idea for those protestors that surely would be viewed as a win/win.  Stop using cosmetics.

And as an added bonus those dirty rotten neanderthal men will find you less attractive.  You don't need them anyway, right?
For most of these types, cosmetics cannot help.  Have you seen the faces of these feminists? (No, I won't post a picture of Madeleine to frighten people here).

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 01:43:28 pm »
For most of these types, cosmetics cannot help.  Have you seen the faces of these feminists? (No, I won't post a picture of Madeleine to frighten people here).

I just ate breakfast. I thank you for this. :)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 06:27:07 pm »
Ask her to point out where in the Constitution or the Bill Of Rights there exists a right to not be offended.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 08:36:50 pm »
So do these women not want men to provide for them? 

If so, then maybe they had better stop wasting time being offended and protesting, get to work and earn a living.  I don't know of any employer who would pay a woman who is too busy protesting to do her job.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
So do these women not want men to provide for them? 

If so, then maybe they had better stop wasting time being offended and protesting, get to work and earn a living.  I don't know of any employer who would pay a woman who is too busy protesting to do her job.
Unless protesting is her job.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis