Author Topic: Wegmans supermarket sells out of Trump wine after proposed boycott  (Read 1905 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Gave me a giggle. Happy to share.

A call to boycott an East Coast grocery store because it carries Trump wine has now backfired.

Over the weekend, 300 members of the Prince William County chapter of the National Organization for Women called on locals to boycott Wegmans Food Markets unless the Rochester, N.Y.-based company agreed to remove Trump Winery wines at its 10 stores in Virginia. The Trump vineyard is located in Charlottesville, Va.

"Certainly if Wegmans is carrying Trump wines, I personally will not shop there," Terry O’Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, told the Washington Post. O'Neill's call for a boycott doubles down on a digital campaign that sprung up just after the election calling on shoppers to #StopTrumpWine.

"Let's demonstrate through economic action that the residents and business owners of Charlottesville will not stand for the hatred espoused by Eric Trump and those like him," a statement on the group's website reads.

Despite a wave of support for many retail stores which have dropped Trump-branded products (Nordstrom announced it was dropping Ivanka Trump’s line of shoes and clothing amid a 32 percent decline in sales), the president's supporters in Virginia fought back against the proposed boycott by heading to Wegmans and buying up as much wine as they could get their hands on.

Many turned to social media to proclaim their right to shop-- and applauded the store for not caving to anti-Trump sentiments.

Five of the wine varieties have sold out at two Richmond-area Wegmans stores, reports the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Read more (autoplaying video annoyance warning): http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/02/20/wegmans-supermarket-sells-out-trump-wine-after-proposed-boycott.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Wegmans supermarket sells out of Trump wine after proposed boycott
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:14:12 pm »
My local Wegmans doesn't sell wine. You have to go to a liquor store. It would be nice to buy alcohol in a supermarket or a 7/11 like most states.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:49 pm »
"their right to shop"

While I'm glad the leftist took it in the shorts on this, people on the right really need to stop adopting leftist bullshit like this. no one has a 'Right' to shop or 5000 other things they claim they have. "Deserve' is another thing the right has to strike from it's tool box. No one 'deserves' anything unless they earn it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:40:18 pm »
"their right to shop"

While I'm glad the leftist took it in the shorts on this, people on the right really need to stop adopting leftist bullshit like this. no one has a 'Right' to shop or 5000 other things they claim they have. "Deserve' is another thing the right has to strike from it's tool box. No one 'deserves' anything unless they earn it.

People do talk about rights overmuch. Never hear them mention duties, even though every right comes with associated duties.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 11:44:07 pm »
People do talk about rights overmuch. Never hear them mention duties, even though every right comes with associated duties.

Yup. Exactly.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:07 pm »

Side note:Being a gamer, I think you can relate to this...I have been in multiple battles with people on game forums over Bethesda's upcoming Fallout 4 VR. They think that they shouldn't have to pay full price for the game and many argue it should be free for those that bought F4 regular.

The word 'deserve' is thrown around with abandon and while I havent YET seen a claim of 'rights', the language inuse is every bit the same thing. You should see the feathers fly when I call them snowflakes for it. It's pathetic how far we devolved when so many today have so poor an understanding about economics, rights etc.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:24 pm »
Gods, yes - the whining gets fairly unbearable.

I do agree that gamers have rights:

- the right to a game that works on launch date
- the right to servers that don't crash on launch day, especially if it's required by the damned copy protection!
- the right to not have to pay extra to unlock stuff that is in the vanilla game code (a particular hatred of mine)

You know - ordinary consumer rights, in other words.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:56:22 pm »
Trump wine.

"Now here is a lovely vintage -- a full-bodied orange with a brash aftertaste..."

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:00 pm »
Gods, yes - the whining gets fairly unbearable.

I do agree that gamers have rights:

- the right to a game that works on launch date
- the right to servers that don't crash on launch day, especially if it's required by the damned copy protection!
- the right to not have to pay extra to unlock stuff that is in the vanilla game code (a particular hatred of mine)

You know - ordinary consumer rights, in other words.

Hell I'd settle for a game that works by the end of week 1 by this point. The industry has too much bean counting ruining it.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 12:02:38 am »

L literally refuse to buy any game that does microtransactions or the like. I pretty much play Skyrim/Fallout exclusively because modding tends to keep things fresh.

I am likely going to finally get Witcher 3 because CD Projekt Red seems to be a sane company to buy from and their recent financials show theres no need for EA/Ubisoft nickle and diming. OR DRM.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:17:21 am »
I've played it some. It's solid, and with the Hearts of Stone expansion, it's well worth the dosh.

No love for Overwatch? Half the time at the moment I can't get at the tac system cause someone's playing it!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:21:20 am »
My local Wegmans doesn't sell wine. You have to go to a liquor store. It would be nice to buy alcohol in a supermarket or a 7/11 like most states.

You have to be a freaking idiot to turn your back on Wegman's.

I imagine Heaven will be one giant Wegman's where your VISA card never runs out of money.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 12:23:13 am »
I've played it some. It's solid, and with the Hearts of Stone expansion, it's well worth the dosh.

No love for Overwatch? Half the time at the moment I can't get at the tac system cause someone's playing it!

I'm an RPG guy. Overwatch looks great, it's just not my style of game. I come from the D&D/Ultima/Zelda/Phantasy Star/Final Fantasy/Xenogears (Best game ever), Xenosage, Persona wing of the gaming party. Twitch shooters arent my forte. but as twitch goes, Overwatch seems to 'deserve' (see what I did there ;)) it's rep.

I used to be  turned based RPG player pretty much but Oblivion/Fallout 3 cured me of that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 12:25:39 am »
You have to be a freaking idiot to turn your back on Wegman's.

I imagine Heaven will be one giant Wegman's where your VISA card never runs out of money.

Did you even read what Freya wrote? She said her Wegmans doesn't sell wine. In what part of that did you read "I Boycott Wegmans"?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 12:27:12 am »
Trump Wine? I can just imagine what that tastes like....

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 12:29:08 am »

It's easy to find though. It sounds like "Lyin' Ted Cruz'father killed JFK!" Annoying as hell as jingles go.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 12:39:20 am »
Did you even read what Freya wrote? She said her Wegmans doesn't sell wine. In what part of that did you read "I Boycott Wegmans"?

I chose her post with which to respond with my two cents about Wegman's.

Sue me.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 12:40:54 am »

You need to drink more water, Frank.      :pondering:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
Tell me again how Trump doesn't drink alcohol.

But he'll gladly profit off it!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:41 am »
Tell me again how Trump doesn't drink alcohol.

But he'll gladly profit off it!

And your point is.........???     :whistle:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 12:55:32 am »
I chose her post with which to respond with my two cents about Wegman's.

Sue me.    :laugh:

That's absurd. After 30K posts you are aware you can post stand alone comments by pushing the reply button....DON"T YOU!?!?!?!

BTW, I purchased Trump Vodka years ago and it was the shittiest garbage with a price tag I ever drank. The only other overpriced vodka that was worse was Dan Akroyd's.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 01:00:10 am »
That's absurd. After 30K posts you are aware you can post stand alone comments by pushing the reply button....DON"T YOU!?!?!?!

BTW, I purchased Trump Vodka years ago and it was the shittiest garbage with a price tag I ever drank. The only other overpriced vodka that was worse was Dan Akroyd's.

I always wanted that bottle. Not worth the $100 to get it though. ESPECIALLY for Vodka. No such animal as good vodka. One can drink from and old car battery and get the best tasting Vodka a lot cheaper.

Now Sammy Hagar's special/limited blends of Cabo Wabo Tequila are truly surprising for THAT flavor of battery acid. And IMO worth shelling out for if Tequila is your thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 01:03:22 am »
I always wanted that bottle. Not worth the $100 to get it though. ESPECIALLY for Vodka. No such animal as good vodka.

Bullshit. Rain, Sky, Amsterdam just to name a few clean vodkas that have multiple distillations.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:30 am »
Bullshit.

Ah so you are familiar with how they taste!

Offline rodamala

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 02:39:48 pm »
Side note:Being a gamer, I think you can relate to this...I have been in multiple battles with people on game forums over Bethesda's upcoming Fallout 4 VR. They think that they shouldn't have to pay full price for the game and many argue it should be free for those that bought F4 regular.

The word 'deserve' is thrown around with abandon and while I havent YET seen a claim of 'rights', the language inuse is every bit the same thing. You should see the feathers fly when I call them snowflakes for it. It's pathetic how far we devolved when so many today have so poor an understanding about economics, rights etc.

Whenever someone says to me the words, "You deserve better", I correct them and say, "No, I deserve whatever I get".

This nation is full of people that insist that they are victims.  There are no victims, only volunteers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:40:13 pm by rodamala »