Author Topic: Free eBook - "Why Trump Won" Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 1659 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Free eBook - "Why Trump Won" Victor Davis Hanson
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:27 pm »

For students of politics, by a well regarded conservative author

http://resources.hoover.org/why-trump-won/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=weeklystandard&utm_campaign=whytrumpwon
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Free eBook - "Why Trump Won" Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:25 pm »
Even those who can't stand Trump might want to LEARN to understand more, from a really solid conservative thinker and writer.

Dr. Hanson is affiliated with Stanford Univ., and the Hoover Institute, like Dr. Thomas Sowell.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:13:50 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:18:08 pm »

http://resources.hoover.org/why-trump-won/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=weeklystandard&utm_campaign=whytrumpwon
That looks interesting, thanks. I want to see if his analysis of the situation agrees with my own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:46:06 pm »
Whats to analyze really? People were fed up with Obama/the left and decided winning at any price was worth trading principle for.

So far Trump has done well and governed in a largely conservative direction, but time will tell if that choice was ultimately beneficial or destructive to America.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:27 am »
Whats to analyze really? People were fed up with Obama/the left and decided winning at any price was worth trading principle for.

So far Trump has done well and governed in a largely conservative direction, but time will tell if that choice was ultimately beneficial or destructive to America.
I believe there were multiple dynamics in play:
The death before Hillary crowd,
The angry middle class
The disenfranchised TEA party voters (betrayed by RINOs)
Those looking for 'payback' at the GOPe
Suckers who believed anything they were told (bad about some and good about one)
People looking so desperately for an 'outsider' they branded someone who had been an outsider on principle an 'insider'.
Rich man worship (identifying with and dreaming of being the guy with money, toys, and 'hot' babes)
Idol worship (not a chunk of metal, but the guy who seems to be saying what they'd like to say to the various groups that have created that anger, whether he is actually saying that or not, often compounded with the above.)
The perception that they have a "Champion" to go forth and fight their enemies.
People who will follow the loudest and most brash, without regard for what they actually say, or whom they say it about.
Herd mentality.
Wanting to be a 'winner', not a 'loser', without considering what they are playing for.
Wanting someone to make it all better. (un/under employed, lost their job to H1B, regulatory overreach, illegal workers, imported goods, or exported factories).
Frustrated over not being in a 'protected class when it seems like everyone else is.
Sick of SJW nonsense.
Sick of snowflakes.
Sick of 'gender confusion'.
Sick of the mass media and other people who don't say what they want to hear (whether that is correct or not--and often with the MSM it wasn't).
If employed, tired of living in fear that some chance comment might get some snowflake's panties in a twist and cost them a career.
Terrified of terrorists (part of the immigration policy grievances).

Just to name a few.
So many dynamics on display, it isn't funny.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:43:36 am »
I believe there were multiple dynamics in play:
The death before Hillary crowd,
The angry middle class
The disenfranchised TEA party voters (betrayed by RINOs)
Those looking for 'payback' at the GOPe
Suckers who believed anything they were told (bad about some and good about one)
People looking so desperately for an 'outsider' they branded someone who had been an outsider on principle an 'insider'.
Rich man worship (identifying with and dreaming of being the guy with money, toys, and 'hot' babes)
Idol worship (not a chunk of metal, but the guy who seems to be saying what they'd like to say to the various groups that have created that anger, whether he is actually saying that or not, often compounded with the above.)
The perception that they have a "Champion" to go forth and fight their enemies.
People who will follow the loudest and most brash, without regard for what they actually say, or whom they say it about.
Herd mentality.
Wanting to be a 'winner', not a 'loser', without considering what they are playing for.
Wanting someone to make it all better. (un/under employed, lost their job to H1B, regulatory overreach, illegal workers, imported goods, or exported factories).
Frustrated over not being in a 'protected class when it seems like everyone else is.
Sick of SJW nonsense.
Sick of snowflakes.
Sick of 'gender confusion'.
Sick of the mass media and other people who don't say what they want to hear (whether that is correct or not--and often with the MSM it wasn't).
If employed, tired of living in fear that some chance comment might get some snowflake's panties in a twist and cost them a career.
Terrified of terrorists (part of the immigration policy grievances).

Just to name a few.
So many dynamics on display, it isn't funny.

Yes thats true, but thats all part of  and boils down to 'People were fed up with Obama/the left'.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:40 am »
Yes thats true, but thats all part of  and boils down to 'People were fed up with Obama/the left'.
...and the "right", and the "middle". Just fed up and angry.

Angry people do stupid things.
It's why vengeance is a dish best served cold.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:27:45 am »
Looks good, well many Conservatives banned together to elect him.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:31:51 am »
...and the "right", and the "middle". Just fed up and angry.

Angry people do stupid things.
It's why vengeance is a dish best served cold.

Correct.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 03:32:22 am »
Looks good, well many Conservatives banned together to elect him.

Actually many conservatives were 'banned' together from FR for not supporting him, leaving the liberal mess there we mock today.

So there's that.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:39 am »
I'm not interested in cheerleader, cultic, boot-licking ebooks

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:12 am »

Well, I have been all over the site. no access to the e-book. Oh well. Do you have a link that works?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:42:41 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 07:47:18 am »
This book sounds interesting. How much is it? I'm on a bit of a budget after the coke binge this weekend.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:58 pm »
When I clicked the link it asked me to sign up for Hoover daily reports.  So I believe the link is working now.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 03:55:01 pm »

+1, Norm. I explained it to my BIL in a similar way: voting for Trump gave the average American the chance to give the finger to Washington DC.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 09:01:20 pm »
When I clicked the link it asked me to sign up for Hoover daily reports.  So I believe the link is working now.
No, I signed up, 'cause it is good to know what people are thinking, whether I agree or not. Still didn't get the e-book.

C S Lewis