Author Topic: White House chief of staff says take Trump seriously when he calls press "the enemy"  (Read 7668 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, advised Americans to take President Trump’s attacks on the media “seriously,” following the president’s denunciations of the press as the “enemy.”

“There’s been a debate about when to take the president seriously,” CBS’ John Dickerson said in a “Face the Nation” interview with Priebus Saturday. “He recently tweeted that the press was the enemy of the American people. Should we take that seriously from him?”

“Well, I think you should take it seriously,” Priebus replied. “I think that the problem we’ve got is that we’re talking about bogus stories like the one in the New York Times, that we’ve had constant contact with Russian officials. The next day, the Wall Street Journal had a story that the intel community was not giving the president a full intelligence briefing. Both stories grossly inaccurate, overstated, overblown, and it’s total garbage.”

Sources told CBS News there is a “chill” in the flow of intelligence to the White House, both because of comments from the president about the intelligence community and anxiety over the handling of sensitive information about Russian interference in the 2016 election.

The chief of staff continued to hammer the press for its coverage, saying “the American people suffer” because of it.

“I do think it’s a problem,” Priebus added. “And I think that the media needs to, in some cases -- not every case, John -- but in some cases really needs to get its act together.”

When Dickerson asked again whether the press was necessarily “the enemy,” Priebus responded: “I think that the media should stop with this unnamed source stuff. Put names on a piece of paper and print it. If people aren’t willing to put their name next to a quote, then the quote shouldn’t be listed.”

Priebus went on to say that the major story out of the White House is a “story of accomplishment,” pointing to the administration’s work in pulling out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, issuing executive actions, and nominating a Supreme Court justice, among other things.

Dickerson then asked how the chief of staff would respond to anyone that could “act on that declaration by the president” that the press was the “enemy.”

“I don’t know what you mean by act on it,” Priebus said. “I mean, certainly we would never condone violence. But I do think that we condone critical thought.”

More: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-house-chief-of-staff-says-take-trump-seriously-press-is-the-enemy/

Preibus actually impressed me with these comments - something I thought about as likely as Fat Boy doing so.  :shrug:

Of course, he agrees with me about "names or don't run it."   :tongue2:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:44:25 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
He can't call somebody the enemy if he doesn't intend to do something about it, so what is the little boy going to do about the enemy?

I happen to think Trump is a lying treasonous piece of garbage. That makes me the enemy. Does he have the man parts to do anything about it or is he the coward I believe him to be?

Offline kevindavis007

He can't call somebody the enemy if he doesn't intend to do something about it, so what is the little boy going to do about the enemy?

I happen to think Trump is a lying treasonous piece of garbage. That makes me the enemy. Does he have the man parts to do anything about it or is he the coward I believe him to be?

I'm not a fan of the media, however, I happen to be quite fond of the US Constitution.

I'm getting tired of the complaining about the media, yet I hear nothing in what should be done.

So tell me what do you want Trump to do about the media?? 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

I'm not a fan of the media, however, I happen to be quite fond of the US Constitution.

I'm getting tired of the complaining about the media, yet I hear nothing in what should be done.

Exactly. If he's going to slap his gums together about the media every day, he needs to back it up somehow. If he can't do it within the constitution he needs to STFU.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Exactly. If he's going to slap his gums together about the media every day, he needs to back it up somehow. If he can't do it within the constitution he needs to STFU.

The President IS acting within the Constitution @Cripplecreek    He is free to ridicule the press and call out their lies. 

Since you seem so unhappy that Trump is not "backing up" his ridicule---exactly what would you like him to do?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The President IS acting within the Constitution @Cripplecreek    He is free to ridicule the press and call out their lies. 

Since you seem so unhappy that Trump is not "backing up" his ridicule---exactly what would you like him to do?

Would you oppose Trump if he moved to silence the media?

Offline kevindavis007

It is going to get old real soon.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

All President Trump can do effectively, is to make more Americans aware of the BS being passed out as 'News', and their attempt to paint him as a monster of sorts.

And he's doing it.  Effectively.    :laugh:

They already have LOWER approval numbers than Congress, which was pathetic by itself.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

I'm guessing you didn't go to church this morning....     :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

So what's unconstitutional about complaining?    Is using the "Bully Pulpit" Unconstitutional?

Offline jpsb

@mystery-ak why do you allow comments like the above?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

He has a right to his opinion re any public figure..if it was directed at a TBR member that would be another matter.

Although he could tone it down a little.. @Cripplecreek
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:48:07 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LonestarDream

Winning.  Trump is encouraging MORE media participation, including taking a question from an Orthodox Jew during his press conference. 

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline DCPatriot

Imagine, if you will,...not long ago, when those type of comments were run-of-the-mill and expressed by a confident majority?

Now @Cripplecreek has become a caricature of himself.

Thank you, Jesus!   :0001:

Offline DCPatriot

Of course!   WTH is wrong with you, boy?     :laugh:

Offline jpsb

He has a right to his opinion re any public figure..if it was directed at a TBR member that would be another matter.

In a civilized society a certain level of civility is expected and enforced. Comments by @Cripplecreek and others about Trump would have them expelled on just about every conservative/republican site I know of. "piece of garbage", "man parts to do anything", "is he the coward I believe".

Allowing this level of hate daily in post after post after post leads me to conclude that this is a NeverTrump site, not a conservative or republican site. From now on then I post here it will be with the knowledge that I am in hostel territory just like at DU and Huffington Post.

Offline DCPatriot

In a civilized society a certain level of civility is expected and enforced. Comments by @Cripplecreek and others about Trump would have them expelled on just about every conservative/republican site I know of. "piece of garbage", "man parts to do anything", "is he the coward I believe".

Allowing this level of hate daily in post after post after post leads me to conclude that this is a NeverTrump site, not a conservative or republican site. From now on then I post here it will be with the knowledge that I am in hostel territory just like at DU and Huffington Post.

It's not that bad in here anymore, @jpsb   Take it easy. 

The few diehards in here are easy to ignore...figuratively.

They're like the street people holding cardboard signs on the intersection median...part of the landscape.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I must have missed your similar concerns with posts directed at Obama or McCain for instance.

I do not agree with CC's views re Trump but this is an open forum where members can speak their minds without fear I will ban them for it.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline skeeter

I want the public to take what the MSM led by AP, Rooters & the NYT puts out with a grain of salt. They aren't what they used to be but they still set the context for political discussion.

If Trump constantly pointing out their dishonesty, or partisanship, has the effect of ending that then great.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:10:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline NavyCanDo

:amen:  And what should be done about the Media? Not a damn thing. Controlling the media or punishing them until they fall in line  is what dictators do. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rivergirl

Ole Rinse and Repeat just carrying the swamp water to the people.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Although he could tone it down a little.. @Cripplecreek

I am simply going to offer the following:

I am finding it increasingly difficult to frequent a message board inhabited by mutually hostile and polarized camps.

As a person who is neither rabidly anti- or pro-Trump, nor wholly agnostic either, one risks running afoul of one opposing army or the other by offering anything but the most innocuous commentary. That is not why I have been here for the past six years.

There are things about Mr. Trump that I tend to like, and there are things that I find quite objectionable. I would like to believe that I might comment on both without being accused of hatred, stupidity, or apostasy, or without being placed on "ignore" (which I have done to no one here, and which I will never do, as a matter of personal choice).

In the meantime, I will remain and continue to encourage amity and considerate treatment of all, because this is otherwise a useful and intellectually stimulating place to visit. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I am finding it increasingly difficult to frequent a message board inhabited by mutually hostile and polarized camps.

As a person who is neither rabidly anti- or pro-Trump, nor wholly agnostic either, one risks running afoul of one opposing army or the other by offering anything but the most innocuous commentary. That is not why I have been here for the past six years.

There are things about Mr. Trump that I tend to like, and there are things that I find quite objectionable. I would like to believe that I might comment on both without being accused of hatred, stupidity, or apostasy, or without being placed on "ignore" (which I have done to no one here, and which I will never do, as a matter of personal choice).

In the meantime, I will remain and continue to encourage amity and considerate treatment of all, because this is otherwise a useful and intellectually stimulating place to visit.

Excellent post andy as always.
Support the USO

Offline Cripplecreek

We're living in a nation with a president who declares the press to be the enemy, accuses other candidate's fathers being presidential assassins, and attacks the appearances of candidates and their spouses.  I find it kind of ironic that his fans think the rest of us should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the president.

People can want me silenced all they want but silencing me wouldn't make a bit of difference, I wouldn't be heard here but I would still be saying the same in a dozen other places.

Offline DCPatriot

We're living in a nation with a president who declares the press to be the enemy, accuses other candidate's fathers being presidential assassins, and attacks the appearances of candidates and their spouses.  I find it kind of ironic that his fans think the rest of us should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the president.

1) The "press" IS trying to destroy him.
2) Because he was being attacked 24/7 on multiple fronts, he got a little laugh/charge out of referring to his friend's paper... suggesting Cruz' father knew some sinister people
3) NY Queens, origin, you're not going to pass around naked pics of his wife and say horrific and crude things about her, and not expect him to hit back. 

It may be puerile....but I'd put Melania up beside any of them.   And that's where he was coming from.   It's that 'instinct' that has made Trump a Billionaire and globally recognized BEFORE he was elected POTUS.

If one has never had firsthand experience with the Queen's NY machismo personality, (strike back immediately but harder and lower) I can see how President Trump's personality would grate the hell out of you.

But, IMO, since the media is in hyper-drive to destroy any Republican, (let alone Donald Trump), you should light a candle in front of the Baby Jesus that he's not one of the other sixteen wannabes.